Where is the respect in cut flowers?

Is that part of the issue of respect? Some people

wanted to be seen

to be showing respect. It was too much show & not enough respect.

What exactly do you want people to do rent their clothes and tear their hair out ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not in this weather. Way too chilly.

I dont do the flowers thing,imo its a waste of money and the only people who get anything from them is the owners of the flower shop.
I give a cash donation to a charity.in this country.
And flowers to the living so they can enjoy them whilst alive.

1 Like

We noticed the price hike, and gave a donation to local charity.

I didnā€™t take flowers or even myself not to some palace.

Each to their own. Personally, I drove down and broke into Canterbury Cathedral in the middle of the night and lay prostrate, naked, in front of the altar. I put Ā£2 into the donation pot to pay for one of those little tea lights that Iā€™d lit on the way out.

1 Like

So how does stuffing money into the box of some obscure charity show how much we support the royal family in the death of their Mother, Grandmother etc?
Itā€™s traditional to send flowers to funerals, unless the deceased has specifically asked people not to.
The flowers lining the route looked lovely and showed the extent that people were saddened by the Queens passing. Itā€™s not the London Marathon, where itā€™s success is dependent on how much money the runners raised. This is a funeral where flowers would expect to be seen, and certainly noticed by their absence.
Okay, donā€™t send flowers and put the money to a worthwhile cause. You could say the same about Christmas decorations. Donā€™t have a tree and waste money on Christmas lights, instead you could send the money to a charity instead. Flowers at a funeral, and a Christmas tree with lights at Christmas, are the proper thing to do, and help to make the occasion what it isā€¦Merry Christmas Lynā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t Dutch people have families to support Lyn?

1 Like

And their own Royal family, their own workforce who farm, supply & retail the flowers. Plus their own tax system which benefits from the tax paid by those Dutch employees & those involved in the sale of those flowers. Plus of course, all those taxes paid to fuel & keep those Dutch trucks on the road.

We all suffer at the hands of the elite Lyn, but the common people are the same the world over and we should stick together.
As an asideā€¦Did you know that the Dutch were the only country that sent ships laden with food to London when we were struggling with the great plague? Nobody else would touch us with a bargepole.

Mind youā€¦They might have brought it here in the first placeā€¦

It is going slightly off topic but he Dutch were strongly suspected of starting the great fire of London.

We teach people about Pudding Lane and the hot summer but we donā€™t say that weeks before the Great Fire, the British Navy sailed into the city of West Terschelling in the Netherlands and set fire to it in an act of diplomatic piracy.

London was expecting an act of reprisal against the city. It was expecting something bad to happen, not because it was superstitious or frightened, but because the government had done something bad. So when the fire happened, it was a natural and quite sensible suspicion for the people of London to have.

Most people thought it was an attack by the Dutch, because of the recent atrocity by the Royal Navy under Admiral Robert Holmes.

The hunt for a foreign scapegoat continued, until one volunteered for the role. At the end of September, the parliamentary committee was appointed to investigate the fire, and a French Protestant watchmaker, Robert Hubert, confessed to having deliberately started the fire at the bakery with 23 conspirators.

Although his confession seemed to change and flounder under scrutiny, he was tried and hanged. Afterwards, colleagues told the inquiry Hubert had been at sea with them at the time, and the inquiry concluded the fire had indeed been an accident. No-one knows why he confessed.

And yes the Dutch do have common people. But what kind of respect is it showing to a British monarch when those who claim to support her, buy forign goods & send money out of the country?

Would buying a Gerrman car & parking it at the side of the road be showing respect to a British Queen? And if not, why is buying foreign flowers & leaving them at the roadside? It just makes no sense to me. Or not unless it is about British people showing faux respect to make themselves feel something they are not. Patriotic & respectful.

The Dutch also introduced gin to the UK.

1 Like

Sort of, it was King William III also known as William of Orange. Also it would have been Genever. Gin is a later London variation of Genever.

The flowers were taken and laid out in front of Windsor Castle and looked beautiful on the grass verges on the day of the funeral. They will be turned to mulch and used on Royal estates, which is a nice gesture. Itā€™s the plastic wrap that goes with them that is a problem.

1 Like

But a German car would be identifiable by itā€™s make Lyn. The flowers are not identifiable, and consequently might not have originated from Holland. The Queens hearse was a Jaguar, probably made in and around Birmingham, but the company is the Tata Motor Company based in China. In a global world you never know what comes from where (but it probably comes from China, even the Beamer) So itā€™s actually who gets out of the German car that matters.

The Fox = 2
Lyn = 1

Gosh what a hoo ha over flowers .
I want flowers at my funeral , a tasteful bunch on top of the box from my children would be appreciated .Giving to charity is all very worthy but itā€™s easy to forget ( I give by direct debit to my preferred charities ) and people want to do something as opposed to a bank transfer .
No one should be made to feel guilty over a few bunches of flowers.

3 Likes

When my mum died we asked the funeral director to bring the beautiful flowers back to mumā€™s house , we lay them in her front garden, no plastic , just natural , they stayed beautiful for a while and everyone passing could see them .

At the end of the day, sending flowers to a funeral makes you feel better. After all, the deceased wonā€™t know who did and who didnā€™t send flowersā€¦Or will they?

At a small funeral you can see who sent what and appreciate the beauty of them but outside Buck house it trust looked liked someone had turned the bins out . The ones at Windsor were thoughtfully done and common sense prevailed making the spectacle of so many flowers a featureā€¦
I also have no idea what lobbing a bunch of flowers at the hearse is meant to achieve other than scratching the rather expensive cars .