What is the oldest coin that you own?

Looks like I won’t be rich any time soon then, Minx.
Lend us a fiver? :lol:

I don’t have the QM 80th birthday coin, but I have several of the others, as I suspect millions of other people do as well, making them worth nothing more than face value or scrap metal price.

I have a German two mark note brought back home by my Granddad in 1918 after WW1. In mint condition one would fetch all of a fiver. Mine is tattered and torn, but the historical and sentimental value to me is priceless as far as I am concerned.

I have a couple of Roman coins I found as a child somewhere. But I recently found a 1988 penny which I intend to build a story around & use as a magic prop. The 27th of November 1888 was a busy night for Jack the Ripper & this coin will have verification to show it was genuinely found in the pocket of Elizabeth (Long Liz) Stride his first victim of the night & later used by Victorian occultist & psychic, William Wynn Westcott.

Jacks second & final victim was Catherine Eddowes, who he killed a short walk away & one hour later.

Hi Gee,

That’s super amazing! What a lovely piece of history.

Do you have the verification that it was found in the victim’s pocket or is this part of your magic trick?

If it ain’t fake (the verification) can you post it please?

Attachment did not transfer from the old site Here it is

Since this thread, I purchased two older coins :smiley:

Here they are - aren’t they a beaut!

1 Like

called a florin. Unedited photos taken with the Sony FDR-AX53 camcorder (hand held)

2 Likes

That’s beautiful RS! I hope it’s safely stored. I took my coin pictures with my iPhone :upside_down_face:

I adore coins !!! I have a few shillings - it’s packed away though so no pictures unless you’re prepared to wait until the weekend so that I can get them out of storage and photograph. They’re from the same time period more or less.

Coins are kind of my vice

:rofl:

I’m not allowed money :grinning:

1 Like

Also have 2 gold quarter sovereigns for around 1900 and several crowns (5 shilling coins)

Did you spend it all last night on beer again :hot_pepper:

I have gold coins as well but they’re in a safe deposit box. I don’t keep them at home for obvious reasons.

All of them are ZAR proof and launch sets so very limited mintage RS. Those are the valuable ones.

Not all of it, was driving :partying_face:

Well, I hope you enjoyed it and they did a good tribute

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

The verification is fake. It’s just a random coin of the right year. I like to make tricks logical, with a sensible journey from beginning to end. This is not a prop, it’s an interesting artefact.

I do not do card tricks. But I have a copy of a WW2 deck that was given to British POW’s as part of their Red Cross parcel. The cards when laid out properly show a map of Europe. I also have a deck of the Iraq War cards with Iraq’s most wanted on them. So I can get some interesting cards out & maybe talk about The Magician of Auschwitz, Herbert Levin, who later performed as The Great Nevelli.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation Gee. Have you ever been on Britain’s got Talent :slight_smile:

I think it’s nice that you use really interesting pieces of history to weave a plausible and entertaining story into your magic tricks! That’s magic in itself

:crystal_ball:

I have compared a few talent contests, but never taken part in one. Magic for me is my fun. So I don’t normally perform for groups.

2 Likes

The florin was Britain’s first step towards decimalisation. Being deliberately one tenth of a pound.

It has been circulated - it is now drilled and hanging on my charm bracelet - but don’t tell anyone as I think it is illegal to do that!

No ST, it not really illegal (well not in SA) to do that to a coin but, you have defaced the coin effectively ruining it.

Instead of drilling a hole in the coin, the jeweller could have put a ring around it and mounted a clasp.

Although, either way it will now be termed an ‘ex-mount’.

:frowning_face:

I hope you enjoy your bracelet though

:slight_smile: