What Do You Record Your Television Programmes On?

There is, indeed, little worth watching (or recording) on the current multiplicity of media channels.

In the near future, SpaceX will complete it’s 12,000-satellite megaconstellation to provide internet access to everybody on Earth - there will be 1,000’s of channels streaming down from space - no need to record “programs” but none worth watching … :069:

I look forward to that.
I’m fed up with Virgin Media and there are no alternative fibre connections around here.

Satellite internet might be just the job, assuming that it proves to be reliable.

If viewing via a tablet however, you can download programmes to watch later, if you go on holiday for example. Granted, the recordings have a limited shelf life unless they’re re-verified by a Wi-Fi connection from time to time, but the facility is there if you need it.

Exactly the reason why I cancelled Virgin Media BB - they were taking the piss with their ever-increasing charges. I’d been a customer of theirs via NTL C&W and then Virgin for over 25 years, yet they still had the nerve to bill me for one last monthly payment. Thieving bastards.

Yes you can. Not only that, it can be controlled via voice using the remote, or in my case, via an Echo device in my lounge. You can ask Alexa to find a particular programme, TV series and episode selection, fast-forward and rewind by a certain number of minutes and pause while I get up to make myself a cuppa. Ain’t technology great? :slight_smile:

Another bonus is that you can install only the Apps you want so no reviled BBC in any shape or form, no Apps that allow you to watch live TV or mindless sports shows. ITV hub is also a waste of time (for me) - I’ve no interest in watching catch-ups of Coronation St. or Emmerdale.

I didn’t know that, but I don’t have a tablet.
Thanks.

Yes. We’ve been a customer of theirs since there were called NYNEX. That was at our previous house.
I’m thinking of leaving them too, because they have become unreliable and also they are choosing not to answer my written communications.

We have quite a few things reliant on broadband, including some external security cameras. I’m not sure that a normal 10Mb connection would be adequate, so we can’t move at the moment.

I’m hoping that there will be an alternative fibre connection company around here eventually.

Oh, BBC iPlayer is on ours, but we never look at it as we don’t have a licence. More importantly, there’s nowt but rubbish on the BBC anyway.

I’d delete the app from Fire Stick if I knew how.

You could do the same on a laptop or mobile phone (but who would want to watch something on a mobile phone?)

I’ve migrated to PlusNet - 36mbit which is okay for me. I can stream Amazon Prime Video, watch YouTube online (which I do regularly). As I only had VM before, I had to have a new line installed (fibre), which only cost me £70 for the lot. They were in contact with me every bit of the way as, because of the pandemic, they had to postpone a couple of visits. Very happy with the service thus far.

Put your postcode into the PlusNet website to see if fibre is available in your area.

Is the App physically installed or is there a small cloud icon on the App name? That means it’s still in the cloud and is available for installation. If it’s installed proper, to remove it, just go to the Apps setting section.

I have, along with several other suppliers.
No fibre connection here apart from VM, which is why they’re so slipshod and couldn’t care less.

Thanks. I’ll have a go with that.

EDIT:
Now successfully removed BBC iPlayer completely.
If the BBC police come knocking, I shall gladly let them in and give them a big grin when they check to see if I might have been watching it! :wink:

You don’t need to record much if you’re on Virgin Media.

They have, pretty much, everything replaying over & over ad infinitum (ads included).

Their set top boxes just record lots of stuff whether you ask them to or not.

If not recorded I’ll find most stuff on other VM channels.

:cry:

I don’t record Tv at all. If you miss something this week it will be repeated in the next couple of months. We have more ‘repeat’ channels than live TV. That’s probably a blessing as there is such rubbish advertised. Actually I don’t watch much anyway so I’m probably watching programmes I didn’t see in the '90s :slight_smile:

I rarely record anything but if I do, it’s on the Virgin Media box. It’s possible to record 3 programmes while watching a 4th.

I have never recorded anything in my life. Wouldn’t know where to begin.
I keep life simple. :slight_smile:

If I really want to see something I will stay in and watch it.
If I miss it - tough.
Nothing bad will happen, it’s not the end of the world. :slight_smile:

As someone mentioned, Virgin Media has On Demand as well as a recorder as standard. Not that I bother using the recorder. I use Amazon Prime and when my sons come round for a movie night we use Netflix, which is arguably another sort of On Demand service. It must be years since I recorded anything.

Used to have a Humax box and freestat because our broadband speeds weren’t good enough to use a smart tv on, till we got a green box put in around a mile away

Now we stream pretty much everything, watch what we want to watch at a time that suits us

We have Netflix and Prime, all the main tv providers streaming services and of course the internet - YouTube is a good source of programmes as is Daily motion