What do you do on your Holidays/Vacation?

Do you laze around the pool?
Catch up on the latest blockbusters?
Try something you never done before?
Visit everywhere that is possible whilst there?
I go camping for a week, sometimes ten days in the wilderness where there are no people.
Rarely, I might go across country to a big city and live the high life for one or two weeks.
Though that option is expensive and does not really offer value for money.

2 Likes

I have to explore, can’t bear sitting about.

I travel with my camper of course and try to arrive at about 1pm (ish), set up, then straight to the local tourist office to get their self guided tour(s). Usually by about 5 or 6pm I have seen everything there is to see.

Lately I have noticed that I am slowing down a bit and do spend some time reading. If a place is very interesting then I might stay a few days.

2 Likes

I should add that I do free camp quite a bit too, my kids do it all the time but I am getting to the stage in life where I enjoy my creature comforts and (importantly) a couple of showers a day.

Even when free camping I have the equipment for a shower but it is amazing how quickly the water goes, hard to use less than a bucketful and I tend to only carry about 30 litres of water.

That was a rest area near the Panton River, a bit luxurious as there were a couple of shelters, tables and seating.

1 Like

Like Bruce we like to explore the Aussie countryside but prefer to “rough it” in the nearest B&B.

1 Like

Eating out at least once a day, that’s a big part of holidaying for us.

1 Like

We don’t have holidays now but when we did, it was a matter of travelling around the area taking in the sights. Sitting around on a beach never appealed to either of us all that much.

1 Like

I like to do different things, some days sitting around reading, some days sightseeing, sometimes shopping! I also like to sit and people watch - it is fascinating

1 Like

Me and Mrs Graham are into cruises at the moment and have booked a trip around Iceland and Norway. Later this year, we’re off to Florida to eat bad food and ride rollercoasters.

1 Like

life is one long holiday when retired. To break up the relentless style the boss and myself travel to far distant places such as the tuck shop. Even once a year depart these shores for far disant ones to get a better and broader idea of the world we live in.

1 Like

I am sorry but I have never understood the lure of camping! I like my creature comforts too much - my late husband always used to say that I never liked to be more than 10 minutes away from room service!

1 Like

We love exploring new places,take the history in,and walk walk walk.
No watching films,we can do that at home.

1 Like

You get to see so much more mainly because a caravan park with power, water, toilets, showers, swimming pool etc costs $30 a night compared to over $100 a night for a motel.

I used to stay at motels but after a fortnight trip to Darwin cost me over $3000 in accommodation and $1000 in fuel I bought my camper. To compare - my last five week trip round Australia was:

Distance travelled: 12,400 km
Fuel used: 1330 litres
Total accommodation: $1441
Total fuel: $2910
Average fuel price: $2.21/l
Fuel economy: 10.9 litres per 100km

1 Like

Graham you will love Norway not just the fjords but up in the mountains. if your trip includes this

is well worth going to. The flam railway I leave up to you to decide. Norway we have been to twice and I love the country. the scenery is breath taking and would go back again like a shot
what I would say is look at the number of photos you can take and double, even treble it. Norway is a photographers dream

1 Like

I am glad you enjoy it Bruce - and save money, but I think I will stick to my 4 star hotels, maid and waiter service and not having to walk across a field to get to the shower/toilet :grinning:

1 Like

Oh come on now Sheila. Think of the pleasure of walking through a field bare foot and getting cow dug between the toes

Pass - hard pass - but thanks anyway !

My late husband and I used to rent cottages in various parts of the country, sometimes coastal and other times more rural. As we were members of both the NT and EH we then spent most of our time exploring their properties. I do the same nowadays but on my own, or sometimes with my dog. I spent a week in Norfolk in June and will have a coastal holiday in Lincolnshire in September. I tend not to drive too far nowadays so probably won’t get down to Devon or Cornwall again. I am going on a cruise in December for the first time ever and am looking forward to that.

I agree with Sheila with regards to camping, I won’t go anywhere if I can’t plug in my hairdryer! I went camping in the early 1960s and vowed I’d never do it again, although I’m sure it isn’t so basic these days as it was then. However, I appreciate that other folks enjoy camping and I do like reading about Bruce’s camping holidays in Australia.