What do you/did you admire about your parents?

I tried to do that for my Mum
She wouldn’t have it .
She had a rotten life was poor unhappy and with terrible health .
It makes me sad when I think of her life .

3 Likes

Hard work, dedication & calmness in the face of a changing world.

2 Likes

Their honesty.

3 Likes

They gave me Bias, not sure if that is good but, done many years in spite of it.

My father was a lovely man. He and my mother got married as soon as WW2 broke out (very common). Sadly he spent most of the war in a POW camp, not everyone was rescued at Dunkirk. After the war he trained as a teacher and taught Maths to non academic children. He helped me when I struggled with it, but I overtook him when I did A level.

The children he taught adored him as did many of his colleagues. He arranged trips for his school to places like Switzerland and Austria and when I was 11 they said I could either have a “big” Christmas present or go with them to Switzerland. No contest! Father said I would remember that trip all my life. I did, I can remember it so well even though it was 60 years ago.

Sadly Dad was only 69 when we lost him, he was a heavy smoker. To this day when I see pictures of Switzerland, their flag, the typical souvenirs such as cow bells and edelweiss or even the word Switzerland a lump comes to my throat and my eyes mist up.

I found an old photo of him recently, I didn’t have many and I cried for a while. Fortunately my husband put an arm round me, he understands how I feel.

3 Likes

I am sure you were so proud of your Dad on that trip!

I have never been to Switzerland but when I was 14/15 and still at school I worked weekends in a gift shop. A very much older, well heeled, lady worked with me and she regularly went skiing in Switzerland. She brought me back a small Edelweiss brooch one time and I still have it in my jewellery box. Just coming across it when looking for something else brings back good memories.

1 Like

Oh yes, I had an Edelweiss brooch. It disappeared long ago in the mists of time. I also remember the Swiss chocolate, you couldn’t get it in the U.K. back then.

1 Like

I just hope I have been a lovely parent, and will be remembered accordingly :icon_wink:

1 Like