What Did You Buy That For? (New version)

I used to be terrible at buying doubles of things because I thought I had lost the first one! Then I came across the original and berated myself for being lazy and not looking hard enough and what-a-waste-of-money-now-you-plonker, etc, etc :joy:

2 Likes

It does not happen in my house as most of what is bought is purchased together or at least with the other’s knowledge.

1 Like

I don’t have the exact numbers available, but I will start to collect the data & advise everyone, who wants to know, in due course.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m terrible at buying Christmas presents in the January sales …. Only to find them squirrelled away years later, leaving me thinking who did I buy that for :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

A skillful answer, LD, hope your nose didn’t get longer, as a result!

:upside_down_face:

We’ve always purchased together Ted and unless one of us becomes bedridden, I hope we always will.

Mind your nose on the forum walls :wink:

I’ve never heard that. I usually agonize over my purchases, so anyone around for miles who might even slightly care would know about it. If someone hadn’t heard the agonizing, they wouldn’t deserve a response.

I’m hoping to change the agonizing part. If I do, we’ll see if anyone asks.

This is what I get said to me, from my son, I see you’ve been buying again, you didn’t need that,:joy::rofl:

I honestly feel like he’s my dad at times,:sweat_smile:

I either hide stuff that I have bought from his roaming eye.

Or I tell him, he makes me feel like I need his permission to buy something,:rofl:

On saying all of that, I do tend to buy things I don’t need.:grinning:

He’s only trying to help,I understand that also…the small things I buy, soon adds up .

2 Likes

Isn’t that what retired folk tend to do with spare money? So long as you are happy from the buying experience and you do not go without any essentials, I do not see any harm in that. My wife likes and buys antique silver & glassware as a collector, although never without seeking my opinion first. I always agree with her selection as I’ve no idea what’s what in antiques; just so long as she is happy, I am happy too :couple_with_heart:

1 Like

Your money,your choice,end of.
I wouldn`t ever be questioned by anyone about what i buy,and i would tell them regardless who they are there and then.

He never complains when I buy him something…I wonder why that is…:joy:

I told him I bought a hedge trimmer, he congratulated me on that, as he said it will save me money in the long run.:+1:

2 Likes

The last time I heard a variant of that from one of my daughters a few months ago: Why the new car? Why a second car at all? I ignored the question but today I’d have replied : “Because you wouldn’t nor couldn’t help me if I needed help. That’s why and also because I want to be independent as long as possible.” I know it was not ill-intentioned, though. Maybe she was just worrying if I could afford it.

I may have heard that question, or variants of it, also earlier in life from the kids when we were still living together under one roof but I can’t remember exactly. I usually understood it as a disguised complaint about not having enough money of their own at a point of time. Knowing that that can’t have been true I didn’t take it seriously and it didn’t happen very often anyway.

Your daughters are concerned that you’re frittering their inheritance away. :wink:

2 Likes

That may well be but they don’t need it because they have enough money of their own. :wink:

That’s OK .no pressure.On my desk Monday morning will be good.

It’s what parents do P, we are all guilty of never really letting go. A child is forever and not just for their early years :sparkling_heart:

I’m having a great time at the moment buying for the house…yesterday I was in Harrogate for light fittings today I have to stay in between 11am and 1pm for bathroom suite delivery…its all very exciting

At least the stuff I’m buying is useful…that might change though as time goes on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No I can’t honestly remember ever being asked that question. Mr B and I spend our money as we wish, without ever feeling the need to account for it to each other. If I want to buy something, it’s my money I’m spending so he doesn’t ever ask why I’ve bought it - he knows I’ll have had a good reason, even if that reason is simply that I wanted it.

Neither do I ever feel the need to seek his opinion on something I want to buy, as mostly the stuff I spend money on is sewing/crafting related and he knows nothing about the subject, so how could his opinion be worth anything? I would hate not being able to buy anything impulsively without first having a conversation with Mr B about it, to get his approval or opinion. I know a couple like this, who never, ever do anything independently of each other. Wherever one goes, so does the other; whatever hobby or interest he has, so the wife immediately develops the same hobby/interest; every single purchase, either for the house or for their individual personal use, is made together. I would find that sort of relationship really suffocating.

2 Likes

None of your business!!!:smirk: