What childhood food did you not like then but now happily eat?

Tomatoes, I remember them being very watery,flavourless and anemic compared to many of the varieties widely available today.

1 Like

Sprouts

1 Like

Beetroot.I only ever had it raw in salads but then I tasted it roasted :grinning:

3 Likes

Cucumber, for some reason i associated it with being I’ll when I was a kid, never ate it for years but I can tolerate it now, it’s not my favourite salad vegetable still, but I do eat it with other things…

1 Like

I hated all the varieties of cabbage, and now I’m the chef at home, I cannot get enough of them with white cabbage being my all time favourite.

1 Like

Now, I know you’re not going to believe this but mine was milk chocolate!

I’m afraid I’m a glutton for the stuff now but when I was very young I couldn’t stand it

I didn’t mind white chocolate. At Easter the family would buy me white chocolate eggs or those sugar ones with scenes in them

1 Like

I was the complete opposite. I ate loads of chocolate when I was young. When I got older, it was giving me a headache for a time. I haven’t eaten any for the last 25 years. I always mean to try some again, especially after reading the health benefits. I just haven’t gotten around to it.

1 Like

I didn`t like salmon canned or fresh,i love both now,especially fresh.

2 Likes

Then again, some of the food I had and disliked then I’d still avoid today, cauliflower and full fat milk, not to mention Carnation condensed milk. Some things just make you retch for life! The skin on the top of a mug of hot milk!

On a positive note we have so much more to enjoy and experience these days, anyone for stuffed olives to start with?

2 Likes

I did not like aubergines as a child. Now, I positively love eating them!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t eat tomatoes or beetroot then. Now I love tomatoes but still won’t eat beetroot.
I used to love chocolate, sweet cakes and puddings, now would only eat very little of them and much prefer savoury.

1 Like

Lettuce.

1 Like

Rice, cauliflower, onions, cabbage. Happily eat all of them now.

1 Like

Onions

Oh yeah, I forgot fish. Something else I never wanted to eat as a child.

Radishes, they seemed utterly pointless, I’m up for a nibble in 2023!

1 Like

I didn’t like liver but like it now.

1 Like

Cabbage. My Grandmother who raised me would only ever boil cabbage. The house stunk of boiled cabbage.
Today I know there are many ways to cook cabbage, even eating it raw in salads.

2 Likes

I would eat most things now, it seems as a child I existed mostly on porridge, semolina pudding and fruit.
That said I am an almost vegetarian now and only occasionally eat organic meat.

1 Like

In my childhood, I disliked peas, brussels sprouts, liver and onions, spinach, fish, just to name a few. I now happily eat them except for the spinach, that could change though, might retry it in a salad I think…

1 Like