What are the best aromatic flowers?

I think next year I might actually try to do something with my garden, and I think to me aroma might just be more important than looks - so does anyone know which flowers/plants/bushes can be planted that produce a nice smell?

1 Like

The Secret to an ULTRA-Fragrant Garden :cherry_blossom: 10 Most Aromatic Garden Flowers

1 Like

Lavender. Lilac. Freesia. Lily of the Valley.

1 Like

Nice! So from that list (and to add to @User_One’a list):

1. Roses
  2. Gardenias
  3. Lilacs
  4. Jasmine (this was my mum’s favourite!)
  5. Hyacinths
  6. Peonies
  7. Tuberoses
  8. Freesias
  9. Wisteria
  10. Daffodils

Wonder which ones are best for the UK tho?

1 Like

Roses. Lilac. Jasmine. Peonies. Wisteria. Honeysuckle all do well in UK and will come back year after year
Hyacinths and Freesias are a bit more tender for outdoors and I tend to grow them indoors only
Lavender is great for walkways or steps because as you brush against them the smell is released

1 Like

There are very fragrant Rodendendrums…(hang on, spellcheck required…) Rhododendron bushes/flowers which can look pretty as a statement piece. Also, I just discovered that if you add lime to the base of it, the flowers change colour :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pineapple sage (Salvia elegans)
Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis)
Rosemary
Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) which can be used as a lawn.
Oriental Lily
Dianthus (gardn pinks) I adore them
Nicotina (Nicotiana alata) also known as Tobaco plant but glorous scent in the evenings a strong,
sweet fragrance all summer into autumn
Phlox (Phlox paniculata) Butterflies adore them
Roses “old” Roses I find have the best scents and if you like the idea I recommend a vist to the David
Austin nursery - eye opening.
Sweet Peas Glorious climbers/ramblers
Hyacinths - Spring perfume.
Stocks - I love them again Spring.

1 Like

@Azz Maybe have a look here Creating a sensory garden / RHS Gardening I imagine sensory would appeal to you as well. An overload to your senses.

1 Like

Definitely Jasmine, grows like a weed and can be smelt from metres away. My neighbour had it along their front fence, when it was in flower you could smell it in the house. Lovely smell, the smell of summer.

1 Like