What are some things you miss because they just don’t make them anymore?

Had forgotten about Tyne Brand

I learnt the other day that its getting harder to get your car jump started as many cars today have their batteries un accessible or drive hybrids etc.

Luckily work had an older car that was good for it.

2 Likes

that looks yummy

1 Like

Funnily enough I actually miss DOS I resisted changing to Windows until it was impossible not to

I personally wasn’t a fan, my Commodore 128 was all I needed at the time until finally I bought an IBM PC with DOS 2.2 (I think it was), DOS just got better and better until DOS 6 (though there were duds)

Still use batch files as the quickest and easiest way of manipulating files and backup a computer so M$ DOS lives on.

2 Likes

More or less the same story here Bruce. I resisted as long as I could, same with Betamax video recorders or now a smartphone… But eventually life gets too difficult to manage without microsoft, humax or a smartphone.

1 Like

The palm toffee was lovely

There was a petition doing the rounds a few months back - have no idea how many signatures they managed to get in the end.

2 Likes

the 3 speed bike.

3 Likes

Thank the Lord, somebody has posted an item that isn’t food…
Well done waimiha.
My mum had a bike just like the one in the picture, I wish I would have hung on to it. The Sturmey Archer 3 speeds were brilliant. I think mums was actually 4 speed.
Talk about re-cycling…I bought my present bike around 1980 from a second hand shop in the village. The bloke had done it up as a work bike (to go to work on) I could see there were little runners attached to the frame to support a derailer, it was a racing bike in disguise, so I gave him £11.50 for it and took it home. Stripped it down, painted the frame, added a five speed derailer, centre pull brakes, saddle, racing handlebars and new tyres and tubes…

We’ve done lots of miles together including a 300 mile coast to coast in 2000. I’ve always found that a five speed derailer is quite sufficient for my needs but now bikes come with more cogs than you can shake a stick at, and I bet riders today still only select around five on road work. Mountain biking and off road would require more gears probably, but I like cracking along on a good tarmac’d road (rare nowadays) with the wind in my face and bum in the air, and alone with my thoughts…Not bad value for £11.50…

Sorry I digress… :blush:

4 Likes

Ah! Happy memories of riding one of these around London with my friends. Loved it to bits, I still think about trying to source one in good vintage condition for old times sake but…nah! Other fish to fry…

Oh, and mine did have pedals by the way :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

3 Likes

That looks brilliant and looking closely it resembles my bike. Judging by the place where the badge goes I do believe my bike is a raleigh too Chilli, it has exactly the same little frame attachments for the front light, rear brakes, pump, and derailer. The bloke who did mine up put ordinary pedals on and I couldn’t get them off to fit ones for shoes to clip in. But I did find some toe clips but you need to wear flat shoes otherwise you can’t get your foot out. Something I found out very early in my biking adventures…

1 Like

I do believe you’re right Foxy… the very same bike.
Old school five speed gear shifter on the frame away from the handle bars and as you say the underslung mount for the pump.
I’m well fussy about pedals, the first thing I’m going to do when I get my new mountain bike is change the stock ones. I used to love the traps, just slip the toes of your chosen footwear into them and off you go! :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, enjoying your bike is the main thing…as you know :wink::+1:

2 Likes

I had a Raleigh “Palm Beach” straight handlebars,I wasn’t a speedster,for passing the 11+.I was still riding it in my twenties.

4 Likes

I hope your bikes have ali rims. I hated steel rims, the brakes don’t work in the rain.

Hydraulic disk brakes are available these days, very effective they are too. Puts up the cost of having the bike serviced but worth it.

I gave my son and grandson my bikes fairly recently, their only complaint is the V brakes. They said every bike they park with now has disc brakes.

Personally I always serviced my own bikes, they are very simple machines.

1 Like

They are, although with the hydraulic brakes the lines have to be bled properly etc which is way out of my league. I have my fold away for everyday use which is a doddle!

1 Like

Didn’t you bleed the brakes on your car? I don’t recall it being that difficult (though I haven’t done it for years).

I don’t drive Bruce…got kicked off a two week Royal Mail driving course on the third day many years ago, and I was getting paid to learn to drive… it’s on my OFC profile :wink::+1:

1 Like

They are still the original chrome rims on the bike. They do have some knurling on the sides to improve brake grip. The front wheel is still perfect chrome, but the back wheel has plenty of corrosion and really needs replacing. A bit like me really…
I fancied buying some Mavic alloy wheels but at my age and condition I don’t know if it will be worth it.