What are my rights with medical records?

I think but am not sure how to do it that you can access your medical records online .

2 Likes

Our records are online the minute they are written, and are available to us through “System Online”, which we registered for with our GP. We also order our meds using the same program and in normal times can make an appointment too.

3 Likes

Thanks but your link is not really relevant to my question. I know how to get copies of my medical records as I have done so in the past but this takes time. I want copies of my records as they become available.

2 Likes

We have Patient Access up here in Scotland but as yet our medical records are not available to us, getting repeat prescriptions and GP appointments is all we can do.

I should have mentioned in my original post that it is hospital records I wish to access not GP, I will edit my post to reflect that.

2 Likes

@MrFraggle67
Hi Mr F :slightly_smiling_face: if you have recently had tests or an appointment with a consultant details of this should be sent to your GP with a copy to you but it doesn’t always work that way things get lost.
I am still waiting for a letter detailing a consultation I had at an online clinic on August 16th when my mediation was changed and should be monitored.

What I do in these circumstance is to contact my GP surgery/ tell them I have yet to receive the details I require/ask if they have received them/if so give details of who you saw or tests you had and the time and date and request the details.
This usually results in a copy being sent to me by letter or when I had a private scan by email.

1 Like

It certainly does not work like that at all as I mentioned getting results seems to be very hit and miss, very selective, my colonoscopy and endoscopy results were sent by letter which is truly baffling as I signed up to the NHS Lothian’s Ecomms service over 10 years ago which should mean that all communication comes via protected email. This just does not happen as I would say that I only get 1 in 10 appointment letters via Ecomms the rest via letter or bizarrely phone.

Whereas I probably can get the results via my GP and given the pandemic and the fact that so many GP practices took to the bunkers and became virtually impossible to see it would still mean more time that I am prepared to wait. I will certainly be asking the consultant I see next Tuesday for copies and will se what she says.

I could contact the NHS Lothian Patient Experience Team but they have recently after an independent report been found to be not fit for purpose and past experience with them has not proved helpful.

2 Likes

@MrFraggle67 The reason I haven’t received result in the past has been down to poor communications. One time when I was awaiting the results of an urgent test I contacted the Consultants secretary Lorna only to find she was on holiday . Another time she was actually on maternity leave and I spoke to someone else and she was very helpful and got the results sent to me.

ETA I can’t speak for Scotland it may be different there.

1 Like

The NHS system “Patients Know Best” is an on-line system where you can access all of your medical records and letters, but you have to register first. As soon as anything is added to my specific section I am alerted via my log-in e-mail.
My particular area is in West Sussex and below is a link that will describe how the system works:-
View your health records online - Western Sussex Hospitals

Totally baffled with this Patients Know Best as I have no idea how it works or even if it applies to Scotland.

Our health system is aimed at the Patient taking quite a lot of responsibilly on. We receive all our test results at the time of the consultation, or scans if able we can wait in the waiting room if say it is less the half an hour…or by post within a day or two.
The Doctor will be straight in contact with you if there are any worrying results.
When I left the UK I had an outstanding Brain MRI result.
Because it never got sent to anybody,just sat somewhere lost in the system…so unfair.
Most test results are fairly quick…obviously some take longer to culture but still Mr. Fraggle I can only suggest getting on to the departement that you were involved with…Would it be possible to go there in person…

1 Like

Check out your Scottish NHS services here:-
Welcome to National Services Scotland (nhs.scot)

Not sure what I am looking for.
Tried to register with your link but gave up after three tries as there was always something the system did not like.
My photo was wrong?
My address was wrong?
There’s an r in the month. :grinning:

We have Patients Access here in the wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire and it’s the same for us: prescriptions and appointments only.

Well I did this today and it took me 1hour 49 minutes in a queue to speak to a receptionist at the GP surgery,
The consultation changing my treatment and medication was on August 16th and the letter recording the details, a need for monitoring and an ECG on demand never arrived at my GPs surgery so no wonder the nurse there was surprised when I demanded an ECG :icon_rolleyes:

My next step will be to email the hospital to ask where the letter got to .
Nothing new there then :icon_rolleyes:

As far as I know and it is the case with my GP practice they should have access to the main system used by the hospital which up here is Trackcare where all results appointments etc etc should be logged. I don’t know what system your health board uses.
As for sending this sort of stuff by snail mail in the 21St century is a joke.
As I mentioned earlier I get some appointments by Ecomms but the majority come via the post.

I use this site for my meds renewal. I’d like access to my records but haven’t signed up for/requested that yet.

1 Like

If I don’t get a copy from the consultant, I ask the receptionist at the GP practice to print me a copy. They have always done this for me in just a few seconds.

You may get the scan results that way, but not an actual picture of the scan itself.
I would ask your consultant’s secretary.

I asked the oncologist and she wen away and printed a copy of the results, I was stunned as ten years ago I would have had to put in an official request and hve to wait 20 days or so.
Tomorrow with tge help of Google i will decipher them. :rofl:

Well done.
I might be wrong, but I believe we are entitled to see our medical records, so they can’t really refuse.

1 Like

We are but if you want them all then there are procedures to follow and you can be charged up to £50 by some health boards. But getting individual reports should not be an issue and you are legally entitled to get a copy.