What a rip off!

£135 per month? Help ma Boab… Have you got your heating on all year round and leaving your windows open?

Mine is £62 per month (increased from £43) paid under sufferance.

1 Like

Oh shush you! :joy: No I don’t have the heating on and windows open! Seriously I’m (un)lucky if I hit £2.50 most days…I have NO idea where they get these figures from, because I count up monthly usage of around £40. I don’t even have the heating on. Luckily for me it has allowed me to build up some credit for the Winter, but I swear to goodness, if they dare increase my DD I will go through them like a…a…well, I’ll give them hell anyway.

I’m very annoyed about it all, and it makes me feel like I am at the whim of some faceless CEO who just decides to flick the switch whenever he they feel like it.

1 bedroom flat, by the way…its tiny

I’d be going round and checking the wattage of each appliance, then estimating how many times you use them during the week to get your total usage.

Check your fridge. Sometimes, they don’t turn off and can run 24/7.

1 Like

I don’t give a rat’s behind what it looks like when I’m fitting out one of my rental properties. All it needs to do is boil and comply with all the relevant safety regulations for a 1.7L electric kettle. If the tenant wishes to buy a more elegant one, then that is up to the tenant. Some do but most do not and if they do, they usually leave it behind after their lease has expired, because they probably cant find the original one. The most expensive kitchen appliance left behind was a large late model s/steel combi microwave oven that I now have in my kitchen and the weird thing about that was the original basic microwave was left in one of the cupboards.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll do that. I do double check my usage though every night, which is how I keep it low (or think I keep it low). I can’t check what I use and when, because it’s an old smart meter, and not installed by the current supplier, so it’s not something I can monitor in detail. I will check my fridge though, and turn it down perhaps? (or not, given the rise in temperatures coming up this week) I barely use anything :frowning_face: What I have noticed is that when I input my readings every week, it varies. Like two weeks ago, it said I only used £5, and last week it said I used £30. I have queried this with them and they say they can’t do anything about it because its not their meter and they don’t have meters to replace it.

Pixie, they were wanting £162.54p per month for my D/D !! :astonished:
That’s why I’ve cancelled it.

Are you on a Smart Meter?

1 Like

I walk to a beach cafe most days they open at 7am perfect for a early morning dog walk
My coffee cost £3.25 . Everything is expensive now.

At the end of August my dual fuel tariff ends I’ll be on a variable rate with British Gas.
At the moment I pay £75 per month, the account is just under £200 in credit.
I expect the payments will double or treble.

That is expensive but I am sure you deserve a treat. Are you in a holiday area? We are and a few years ago my friend and I went to a local pub for coffee and they were going to charge us £3.50 each for coffee. My friend said “that’s gone up then, it was much less when my son worked here.” He said “oh sorry I didn’t realise you were locals.”!! And we got them for about £2.25.

Similar to us Judd - £55 for gas and £63 for electricity and we are approximately £400 in credit for the gas and £140 for the electricity. At the moment we only have the hot water on for about an hour a day and the electricity I expect to be roughly the same winter and summer.

Just thought Judd is your £62 per month for gas and electricity, which would be quite cheap if it was.

Yes it was here when I moved. I’m not a fan of them, but I have no choice. :frowning_face:

Ah yes if it’s for tenants that is understandable, but do you have the same model as your personal kettle?

I have a 1L kettle plus a 2.5L boiling water dispenser. With 7 in the household, both have their uses. The 1L job is for when just a couple are being catered for and the 2.5L for when everyone is up for a drink image.png

1 Like

Impressive but I sense kettle shyness. It must be a very extravagant 1L job :grinning:

1 Like

The 1L job is by Ex-Pro and can boil one cup if only catering for one. We have to be ultra careful when the twins are in the kitchen as the outside does become very hot as it comes up to the boil.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that brand. Is it energy economic?

Yes, that’s for both. I live on my own, so don’t use that much. The house is well insulated throughout, so that helps.

It’s no more economic with the leccie than any other brand of kettle. It has a 2.2Kw element and quickly boils up to 1L as required. Energy efficient kettle claims are purely a sales gimmick as power in is usually between 2 and 3Kw with around 99% efficiency no matter what the brand, which is why I buy from Wilco for a fiver when considering my rental properties. . why pay more?:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

yes totally makes sense for rentals. They probably have their own kettle too

1 Like

£62 per month for gas and electricity is very good Judd. We are really conscious of what we use, but we have grandchildren visiting, often they have showers and cook and, although we don’t need to, we still live in a four bedroomed house.