Well ,it’s finally caught up with me

Hi

My heart condition is inoperable, so now medically managed.

This involves a combination of 12 medicines, a total of 19 pills every day.

I also have oral morphine to be used when required .

All good fun, but they keep me alive.

Sorry to hear about you all and getting older.
Hubby has been on high blood pressure tablets for 10 years, he’s 65 now and he had to have a second tablet to go with the first resently. For a while he was advised to have a statin one and now he’s finally given in. Have to be careful about eating grapefruit with some statins but his is fine.
Since he had to go on high blood pressure tablets he’s been well looked after by having checkups and with tests for diabetes, that he hasn’t got.

I’m 65 this year and I’m not on any tablets but I’m starting to get arthritis in my toes and fingers and my right arm.

Join the club.

Primus, I do feel sorry for you but l suppose we all get some sort of medical condition at this later age.
I wouldn’t believe l had high blood pressure in my late 50’s but then l shouldn’t have been surprised as it’s in my family!

I think we have to think that if we’ve only got high blood pressure, then we’ve done well! Besides, having high blood pressure is better than having low blood pressure that’s harder to control.
The people l feel for are people with Diabetes 1, they are always having to check and test their insulin levels, having to inject themselves how many times a day. Then there’s a chance of them having a hypo.

I was advised to take statins but refused as l’ve seen so many that have been affected by them… but then again others l know that take them are fine.

Looking at some of stuff posted on here, we are very fortunate to have got off so lightly… for now!!

We are all going to die one day but humans will use all our knowledge to extend their life & maybe we have gone too far !
Evolution started with tiny life forms, that changed over time to survive the changes to the planet…but it didn’t happen quickly.
Like many of you, I feed the birds in my garden to prevent them dying from lack of food…but shoud we?
People blame cats for killing birds, but if we didn’t feed cats they would have to catch them to survive, and therefore make sure that only the fittest birds survived.
Human actions upset the balance of " survival of the fittest" & because we are just trying to be kind .
Humans were probably the most mentally advanced creatures on the planet but we got things wrong with our kindness , and maybe sometimes greed !
Medicines and health care help us to live longer than we should, but now that is causing the earth to be over-populated by humans, so perhaps something is trying to remove the majority of life forms .
If the climate continues to change so dramatically, many life forms will become extinct & evolution will create new creatures that will thrive on the new climate.
Perhaps Mars will warm up and maybe the earth will become too hot for life forms… so Mars will create different life forms! :open_mouth:

The good side of it is that you caught and likely prevented a more serious issue! We are living a decade or two longer than our parents - in good health. Take your meds, track and report any symptoms, eat right, exercise and - scoff this aging business get on with living!

Good health and many good years ahead, Primus!

2 Likes

Indeed :grin:
What’s a few pills!
Keep on enjoying life Primus x

Well thank you all for your kind advice,
I’ve been suffering from headaches for a couple of years now, I initially went to the doctors about this and had to monitor my blood pressure with regular tests over a couple of weeks, the headaches aren’t alcohol or eyesight related, anyway, I’ve had blood tests and bp monitoring again so that’s how we’ve arrived where we are with the meds, yes I know about the side effects so I will be keeping a close eye out , I have changed my diet and, cut out a lot of sweet stuff ( my Achilles heel) and am trying to eat more healthily, so time, as they say , will tell.

1 Like

All the best Primus…
:sunglasses:

Been on statins for 3 yrs now , no issues.

1 Like

Well done caricature, they do suit some people, and I would never recommend that people stop taking their meds without speaking to their doctor first.

1 Like

I have been on statins for over 30 years with no side effects. My brother died at 63 and my father at 71 both from heart attacks. I am 84 and I credit statins for giving me a few more years. My sister is 88 and also on statins. My family has a history of high cholesterol. Exercise and diet can help if your cholesterol level is not too high.

1 Like

GPs get QOF points for every person they prescribe statins to. These QOF points are worth just over £200 each. This is on top of their 6 figure salary and can bring in hundreds of thousands for their practices. So it’s not surprising your GP wants you to be on statins. guidelines call for lowering of underlying levels of cholesterol so you can be sure you will fit the profile for medication very soon! :wink: also remember that once you are on statins you are usually on them for life!

1 Like

Dr Malcolm Kendrick: Side-effects of statins should not be ignored | The Scotsman.

The prescribing of statins also coincided with the overall allowed cholesterol level to be lowered from under six to under five mmol/L.

I know! Changed my cholesterol from good to marginal. The bastards!

1 Like

Same here Bruce, and what they don’t tell you down at the doctors is: Your overall level could be higher because the good cholesterol (HDL) is high, which is a good thing.

I think the pathology lab reports differentiate or report on both, mine always have.

My doctor insists on blood tests every three months for we over 70s including things like liver/kidney function, PSA (Prostate?), diabetes, cholesterol and a host of other things. I am on first name terms with the nurse at the pathology service.

1 Like

Mine do too Bruce but you have to ask for a breakdown otherwise they won’t tell you. I go for my tests once per year and because I don’t take statins they write ‘Results as expected’
I had a PSA test a couple of years ago and it came back normal, however, I’m usually up three or four times during the night for the toilet. I rarely wake up during the trip…
:sleeping:

I was lucky to have met John Yudkin. He retired from the University of London College I went to while I was there. It’s a shame the food producers didn’t pay more attention to him, it would have saved a lot of heartache.