We Got Snow Today

Wow, I’m shivering looking at that. Nice pictures.

1 Like

It’s very cold here -2 but no snow.

We,too, and more to come over the weekend.

5 Likes

Freezing on the roads here…

1 Like

I notice the establishment have changed the threats of ‘Global Warming’ to ‘Climate Change’ because more people were seeing through that old chestnut…
:sunglasses:

“I notice the establishment have changed the threats of ‘Global Warming’ to ‘Climate Change’ because more people were seeing through that old chestnut…”

The reason for doing so, provided that is the case, is that they want to be more precise. They, as anybody else, know that global warming is just one aspect of climate change, others being acidification of oceans, expanding deserts, more insects flying north, the extinction of species, shifts in flower/plant blooming times, accelerated ice melt, a shortage of ground- and drinking water, soil becoming salty, migration, etc. Climate change is the umbrella term and global warming is an effect of it.

Thus, the old chestnut is not calling a spade a spade by using climate change but calling global warming or climate change a chestnut. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well, yes - but I have observed the temperature since I was at school. I believe it has warmed some at least in the UK.

1 Like

It’s reached you now then. :grinning: Have fun in the snow.

1 Like

Do you think all those things would have not happened if we weren’t here Dachs?
And do you also think that we can actually do anything about it if it’s true?
Do you think the common person is responsible, or are the powers that run industry to blame?
Sorry for digressing…
:blush:

Who’s we? The two of us or mankind as a whole? If you mean the latter, yes, it would definitely make a difference if mankind and the livestock it seems to need weren’t here. Yes, we, mankind that is, can do something about it. I’d even say it will have to and will learn it the hard way. Your third question: Both are because both wouldn’t exist without the other one like hen and egg.
I’m not the OP. So that’s fine by me.

I’m not going to get into an argument with you Dachs because (A) I like you, and (B) in order to make any kind of difference you need to get the whole of mankind on side, which is never going to happen. There are too many wars producing more CO2 etc than people like us, or our domestic animals, will produce in a lifetime. Do you think people in poverty give a monkeys about global warming or climate change? (and there are more of them than us) Saving the planet is a well off persons hobby. Then there are natures natural phenomena’s…Volcanoes, El Ninos etc…
So basically, there is absolutely nothing that you or I can do. If we ever could…
So I’ll end it there…

1 Like

I’m moved, Bob. And no, we’re not going to argue since we’re experienced enough to know that just as you can’t teach an old dog new tricks you aren’t going to change a person’s view on complex issues. We are content to juxtapose differing positions occasionally and agree to differ without harbouring hard feelings or even putting people with a differing take down. Not everybody is capable of doing that but you are and that’s what I like about you. Wishing you and yours a nice advent season up there in the north where you live.

1 Like

Thanks Dachs, and best wishes to you and your family…
Perhaps one day we might enjoy a drink together…
:beer:

1 Like

Not far from me:

A major incident has been declared by police in Cumbria after heavy snowfall.

Cumbria Police said it estimated about 200 vehicles were stuck in the South Lakes area, particularly around Bowness and Grizedale.

Oh dear. I’ve friends who travelled by car to the Lake District on Friday Omah. I do hope they arrived safely…Haven’t heard from them yet…

Breaking News!
I’m sat in the lounge perusing the forum with the curtains shut to keep the heat in…
I’ve just visit the toilet and noticed something strange outside the kitchen window…
There is an inch of snow and it’s still fluttering down…
:snowflake:
Looks like tomorrows bike ride has just been cancelled…

Are winter tyres or all season tyres actually compulsory in the UK?

I don’t believe so. My family have just set off back home and there was just a sprinkle of snow. It cleared before even the tyres were still black.

1 Like

I got 23mm of rain, a storm and hail last night. that’s El Nino apparently, we are three days into what is supposed to be summer

If you go above the snow line in Australia in winter and you are not in a four wheel drive vehicle then you are required to carry chains, there are even special parking areas set aside for you to fit them.

1 Like