Watch the Solar Eclipse with me in New York

What is zoom at what would the UK time be

1 Like

Google Zoom meets, realspeed. You don’t have to install the app itself if you simply click on the blue (or orange) https website I will send you. Do this just before the scheduled time. This will open the page, I will see you are trying to join the meeting, and I will accept you! You don’t have to use your webcam or your microphone if you don’t care to actually join in and verbally interact, you can simply access our meet and watch!

Or, turn on your mic or access your camera option and Voila! Hope to see you soon.
I will message you the info in case you care to join in at 8:00 pm England time

will the 8pm uk time be exact or can i come 15 mins later as i drop someone home at 8pm,

1 Like

You can join in at any time after 8 pm. The ZOOM session will last 40 minutes, by the way. So, it will conclude at 8:40 pm.

I’ll give it a go :face_with_monocle: Thank you RN :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have decided to start the meeting inside, but will carry my laptop out on the deck after 5 minutes so all can see how the sun is changing, without directly viewing the sun!
Just now, at 1:20 / 6:20 England time, I took these outside for a comparison.
Gee, I hope this way works!

1 Like

Don’t miss the eclipse in the UK, at the precise time just draw your curtains

1 Like

It couldnt be at the precise time in the UK as it will be happening in Buffalo, NY.

Unless, of course, you are flying high in the sky. And knowing you, Speedie, this is also a phenomenon to consider. Flying high…hmm :flushed:

1 Like

I am trying to apply app…be right there.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. Computers never perform when we want them to.

Update on the eclipse…thank you to the three who participated with me. I thought I was prepared, and then the eclipse let us down! It did get cloudy, temps dropped a bit, birds stopped moving, but then…
it only got cloudy, not the darkness I anticipated at all!

Seems that Buffalo and Rochester are further away than the sun to me. Nothing much happened.
I am very disappointed. But the good part is I was wanting to include my forum buddies in this huge event that turned out not to be so huge.

2 Likes

@RightNow a friend of mine just sent me this photo he took of the eclipse through his sky light window

2 Likes

You tried, Pamela, thank you. My niece said having watched it on Sky News the band was mentioned to be only about 118 miles wide (or thereabouts). Need to go back to her comments.

Edit, 115 miles wide.

1 Like

Great idea, i hope you had a few join you. I watched it on the NASA live feed, wonderful
The last time i actually see one here in little ol’ England was way back in the 90s, a good talking point, plenty of people out in the Street, fantastic

1 Like

Just watching the news here. I feel a little better. We have a Kopernik Observatory 35 miles away, and the newscaster reported there were too many clouds to see much. After almost an hour they got a tiny glimpse of the end of the eclipse.

Still, @Feey your photo is pretty. Glad you got a peek.

Thank you Pam :slight_smile: It was fun :+1:

1 Like

Sorry I missed the party. I saw the eclipse in 2000 (or was it 1999?). Anyway we all went outside specially at work in our suits and heels and positioned our cardboard sunglasses carefully on our noses, having a ciggie while we waited. It was spooky. An eerie silence and suddenly cold. After all the build up it was over in a moment. I wouldn’t say I enjoyed it. It felt a bit empty and frightening when the sun was blocked.

1 Like

Despite the disappointment, the air did feel oddly colder here, too.

Still, it left you with a memory, @AnnieS !

1 Like

Ah!
I’ve just woken up, made a coffee and discovered this topic, missed the meet up entirely :angry:
Great Idea Pam!

1 Like

Another update on the recent eclipse in New York…
Yes, at our university only 20 miles away, they viewed the eclipse with the special glasses! So, those of you who participated with me, the clouds and darkness were part of the actual eclipse. It’s is just that I didn’t focus directly at the sun…as I shouldn’t have!
Whew! I feel less like a total numbskull after reading the recent weekly paper and seeing others enjoying the event!

Thanks again to my pals who humored me with this!

1 Like