Walking up a steep hill - is it better to take long strides?

Can’t say for certain on pavement but on a hilly piece of ground, I go at a sideways angle instead of directly upward. Of course that won’t work each leg equally but it’s still easier to get up a mountain that way.

1 Like

Realspeed,
It always depends on what your objectives are. If you are looking for efficiency and saving energy to get top the top of the hill, then short strides are the way to go. If you are looking at it as a form of exercise, then longer strides are much more beneficial in terms of # of muscles being recruited to work, and working each of the muscles through a larger range of motion. The later, when not overdoing it, is also very good for your joint health.
Just a thought,
Ken

Good advice there Ken… :+1:
I’ve been somewhat of an expert at climbing hills and usually jog up them.

And loads more…

1 Like

It’s down to common sense!
I’ve happy memories of walking the Cornish Coastal path some years back… beautiful but a long way down if you get it wrong :wink:

1 Like

A walk I would love to do Chilli, tis a beautiful county… :man_walking:

1 Like

Foxy, That hill looks a bit familiar!

I like to zig-zag up steep hills - judging by the shape of the path up my favourite local hill, lots of folk have zig-zagged their way up it for many years! :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, this is an old thread, I wonder if Realspeed has made it to the top of that hill yet? :rofl:

I always lean forward a bit and take shorter steps, it helps you keep your balance and you can pump your legs to lift your body weight in a shorter time

1 Like