Waiting at the bus depot in Basingstoke

this is why copying the thread message is so useful cos then we can all see what was said!! did it happen at B/stoke bus station??

1 Like

I was waiting as depot all grumpy
when along came a guy in a humpy
he said that’s a cute dawg
does he bark in the fawg?
I said no but he gets awfully grumpy?

Hi Pauline - no more interesting encounters in Basingstoke then?

1 Like

I was too tired to post any last week, Gumbud, but yes, I met my friend Marianne there again…

I was hoping to taste some of that street food but arrived to late…I love waiting at that bus depot, meet some lovely, lovely, people there and travelling on the buses, some great people around.

Marianne is very special, she was homeless from age 8,9 or 10 can’t remember what age she said, she is the most gentle soul, something very special about her, she draws me in like a magnet.:heartpulse:

Edit to add…they were power washing the station as well, what a dirty job that looked.

1 Like

About three years ago we were travelling down through France and decided to call in at Lourdes . I have been to Lourdes before but Mr M had not and so off we went.
It was fairly busy - there are still people who hope for a miracle . We walked through the town which is full of holy kitch and to the entrance to the grotto area .
The guard at the gate said that dogs were not allowed into the Grotto area but I could sit on the wall by his guard box .
So I did and lots of pilgrims came and petted mungo who as always is delighted to be social .Mr M went down the hill to the grotto which is quite a walk from the entrance , anyway time passed and he didn’t come back so I got a bit concerned .
At last I decided to go and look for him and asked a lady ( also sat on the wall ) if she would mind holding him while I did so .( I meant it’s fill of pilgrims they aren’t going to steal my dog ) I left him and set forth to search for Mr M who I eventually found and we made out way back to the entrance . To my embarrassment there was a large number of people sat on the wall all waiting for me . It was a holy group outing and once they had delivered my dog they all smiled and said we can go now and off they went .( I only hope their bus driver was not annoyed ) I felt very embarrassed to have held up an entire group but they were quite cheerful about it pr full of good will to all men women and dogs after the holy visit .Mungo was delighted to be the centre of attention and all was well .

1 Like

Gumbud, next time I go I will take some pictures of the bus station, I bet you will see a great change to when you last saw it.

A very busy place indeed!

1 Like

thanks pauline don’t forget to get the seagulls in too!

1 Like

Yes, there are quite a few seagulls flying around Basingstoke and Newbury, you don’t get them in the bus station, not that I’ve seen anyway, the place is dangerous where the buses are coming in and out, but I have seen some birds there, pigeons I think.

1 Like

My fortnightly visit to the bus depot, gumbud, I’m getting well known here,:joy::rofl::heartpulse:…this is the bus depot as it is today, pigeons everywhere, I had to keep my eye on Jack as he nearly had one,:open_mouth::open_mouth:

thanks Pauline lovely looking at those - made me feel rather sad as a lot of my life history was in that town - I did write a diary thingy and posted it on one of the original b/stoke earlier first forums but can’t even remember them now and probably never kept a copy in those days! One thing I have never practiced on pc’s is good housekeeping maybe we need an advice thread on here?

1 Like

I’m back again Pauline been reprieved ! - are you still visiting B/stoke these days by bus or now driving a car?

1 Like

Hey gumbud, great to see you, I am still visiting Basingstoke, in fact, I am catching the bus today, thank God it’s warmer, I go to my sons once a fortnight, I go by bus as it’s free,I have my bus pass now, …one day,when I’ve saved up enough money, I hops to go there to shop, it’s a lovely indoor shopping centre, I bought some Yankee plug ins last time I was there, someone looked after Jack for me while I went in, I will take some pictures when I travel by myself,as it’s difficult with Jack, as no dogs are allowed…I’m still visiting the street cafe and meeting so many lovely people to chat with.

good to see ya again - show me some pics of B/stoke and tell me of the mood!! I still have a few friends living outside on the Newbury road just opposite were the old psychiatric hospital was - used to work there once

1 Like

anymore updates on B/stoke?? @ pauline

1 Like

Not yet,gumbud, it was too darn cold at the bus depot on Tuesday and I traveled back Wednesday, only stayed the day,…that bus depot in Basingstoke is freezing…roll on spring/ summer…God willing,:pray:

ok ta! @pauline3

1 Like

I bet, Basingstoke could be a lonely place, full of ghosts.

there’s a few live ones still left too but we’re down to single figures now!! first loves have gawn ; second loves too and all of those in between!

10 days is a long time in Basingstoke, especially if the Bus don’t turn up.

@ spitfire - I remember b/stoke before the London hordes arrived - it was a peaceful town of many pubs and the barge Inn was famous the barges used to once running alongside it in former days - but it was one of our ancient watering holes and there were plenty more that have long disappeared - reputed to have the highest number of pubs in the south towns? and then modernization came l it was never the same again - we sorta got used to it - had to really but the accents changed and the fighting got tougher!