Voter ID required

Reply to email
Out of date ID can be accepted. However, on the day the presiding officer at the polling station has the final say on whether the photograph is acceptable. This means we can’t answer ‘ahead of time’.

Other forms of ID accepted can be found on the following link: Voter ID | Electoral Commission .

Arsedale??

1 Like

Funny the way threads go. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Why there are hundreds of Bottoms in England and loads of Pants in Wales... | OS GetOutside.

• The rather distracting Scratchy Bottom, Dorset
  • The c-c-c-cold and Christmassy Winterbottom, Cheshire
  • The inappropriate (without permission) Slap Bottom, Hampshire
  • The aforementioned Galloping Bottom, Somerset
  • The luxurious Velvet Bottom, Somerset
  • The exhibitionist Flash Bottom, Staffordshire
  • The fruity Strawberry Bottom, Surrey)
2 Likes

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) forum rules do not allow the showing of naked buttocks on the forum Maree…How about a picture of a nice juicy plum?
Plum

The Electoral Reform Society team
ERS News: £5.6 million to promote voter ID website that wasn’t live yet

Options for upgrading Westminster\ 100%xauto

What are the alternatives to First Past the Post?

Thankfully there are lots of options for upgrading the system to make Westminster more responsive to voters…

Read the article →

Switzerland cartoon\ 100%xauto

How did Switzerland get proportional representation?

In the early 1890s, a handful of Swiss cantons (states) held the first public elections in Europe to truly use proportional representation (PR).

Read the article →

To do launch voter ID website\ 100%xauto

£5.6 million to promote voter ID website that wasn’t live yet

Last week a £5.6 million publicity campaign promoting voter ID started. Despite these millions, electoral administrators warn that it still isn’t enough to reach everyone.

Read the article →

Coverage we’ve won

ERS Director of Research and Policy, Dr Jess Garland, appeared on the Compass Podcast to discuss electoral reform and spoke to the Byline Times and i News about the dangers of voter ID.

It’s been a busy week for coverage of voter ID. A Councillor in Bradford quoted our work to the local paper, and the Manchester Evening News, LBC Private Eye and PoliticsHome quoted our concerns. ERS Press Officer Jon Narcross told Sky News that it’s time ministers thought again about voter ID and scrapped this dangerous and costly policy.

Our issues in the news

Safe Seat of the Week

Following the news that Nadhim Zahawi agreed to pay a penalty to HMRC as part of a seven-figure settlement over his tax affairs, here’s how his seat of Stratford-on-Avon voted in 2019.

Stratford Upon Avon

Stratford-on-Avon

74.4% Turnout
517th Smallest Margin of Victory
491st Smallest Share of the Vote Needed to Win

Explore the 2019 General Election in Stratford-on-Avon →

You can use your disabled persons or older persons bus pass for Voter ID, if you do not have a passport or driving licence.
Gov website copied below:
You can also use one of the following travel passes as photo ID when you vote:
** an older person’s bus pass*
** a disabled person’s bus pass*
** an Oyster 60+ card*
** a Freedom Pass*
** a Scottish National Entitlement Card (NEC)*
** a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card*
** a Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card*
** a Northern Ireland concessionary travel pass*

Would they accept a profile picture off the forum?
:nerd_face:

1 Like

I doubt it.

1 Like
1 Like

I do not have any form of photographic ID.
I have no passport, no bus pass, no disabled badge and my driver’s licence is an old paper one!

No vote then User-One, you don’t exist…
:shushing_face:

1 Like

We were beaten into giving in User-One, had the paper Driver’s Licence up until about 18 months ago, but got fed up with basic things not being possible without photo ID.
It does have one positive side though, every time I open my wallet, I’m reminded how handsome I am. :laughing: :icon_wink:

2 Likes

Us pensioners can use our bus passes.

National ID cards anyone? Pretty much every other country has them for each and every citizen. And mostly it is mandatory to carry them with you at all times.

Don’t seem to stop folks running riot!!

The government decided to go with the strictest ID rules every time

Coverage we’ve won

Director of Research and Policy Dr Jess Garland has been busy speaking to journalists from across the UK on how voter Id will impact their local area. Jess appeared on ITV Anglia, Central, Meridian, Tyne Tees, Westcountry and Yorkshire on the risks of voter ID.

The Electoral Reform Society team

SNP leadership candidates\ 100%xauto

Here’s how SNP leadership elections work

The deadline for contenders to put themselves forward for the next SNP leadership passed at midday on the 24th February, so it is now confirmed there are three potential future leaders.

Read the article →

Making it harder for people to vote is an expensive business\ 100%xauto

Why will the government’s voter ID scheme cost us up to £180,000,000 a decade?

Making it harder for people to vote is an expensive business.

Read the article →

What is a citizens assembly\ 100%xauto

What is a Citizens’ Assembly?

Citizens’ Assemblies are often in the news, from the assemblies that led to the referendums on equal marriage and abortion in Ireland, to the Citizens’ Assembly of Scotland and local council climate assemblies.

Read the article →

Coverage we’ve won

The ERS’ Dr Jess Garland spoke to Byline Times about the low awareness of the new voter ID rules and the New Statesman about the strictness of the new rules. ERS Scotland’s Willie Sullivan told the Mirror that it was deeply concerning that so many people still lack the ID they will need.

Over in Wales, Jess Blair represented ERS Cymru on BBC Politics Wales.

Our issues in the news

Safe Seat of the Week

This week Damien Green failed to win selection for newly-created seat of Weald of Kent, the replacement for his old seat of Ashford. Here is how Ashford voted in 2019

Ashford

Ashford

67.1% Turnout
576th Smallest Margin of Victory
513th Smallest Share of the Vote Needed to Win

Explore the 2019 General Election in Ashford →

Voter ID, tosh, no more comment.

What about making voting compulsory, as they do in some countries. Fine people who do not vote. That would solve the low turn out issues.

In the past, I have never been in favour of compulsory voting -
if someone can’t be bothered to turn out to vote voluntarily, are they going to be bothered to check out all the candidates to choose who would best represent them? - or will they just tick any box at random because they feel aggrieved at being forced into doing something they don’t want to do?

Or, if they have deliberately chosen not to vote for a specific reason, such as lack of a decent candidate, should they be forced to turn up at the polling station just to put a spoiled ballot paper in the box.

I would prefer to encourage people to want to vote by having a more democratic system of proportional representation - that may encourage people to think their vote may count.

The current system in U.K. where we have a two party monopoly and “safe seats” which are often “reserved” for the “favoured” politicians within the party, does not encourage me to think my vote counts.
I still vote at every election because I feel a sense of duty but every time I vote, I know it will be a wasted vote because the same party have had a majority in this constituency for the last 100 years.

On the other side of the coin, I have spoken with people from Australia in recent months and their view of Compulsory Voting made me think of it a bit differently - the law requires you to turn up at the polling station for your ballot paper or send in your postal ballot paper.
However, they said that nobody is forced to Vote if they don’t want to - your actual vote is anonymous, so you don’t have to vote for any of the candidates and you can put anything you like on your ballot paper - the people I talked to saw their system as more democratic because it made sure that everyone, including people in minority or disadvantaged groups, got to the ballot box and had the opportunity to vote and have a say if they wanted to.
They said it wasn’t really “compulsory voting” but “compulsory access to the voting system”

I think it would be a struggle to get a similar system going in U.K. - Brits have a tendency to dig in their heels if they think they’re being “told what to do” - even people who normally vote would probably join a “no voting” protest against a compulsory system - I’m amazed the Govt has the got the legislation through for Voting ID, to be honest.

I must admit, our current system is a bit lax - I just turn up at the voting station and give my name and address and they give me my ballot paper - they don’t ask for any ID or even ask to see my voting registration card.
I daresay if I had a friend, relative or neighbour and I knew they were registered to vote but were not going to use their vote, I could just turn up at their polling station and be given their ballot paper and nobody would know I’d used their vote, in addition to my own.