Using the grid technique to draw

Sometimes you do a nice little sketch or have a reference photo but it’s too small.
To transfer to a bigger work surface is easy if you use the grid technique.
You get your sketch or photo and draw a grid over it .Then you draw a similar grid in ratio to the size on your canvas paper or whatever.
It saves doing a repeat drawing .
I am starting another painting using this method .
There are other more modern methods but this is easy and cheap .
Here you can see the grid clearly
The main thing to remember is to erase your pencil lines as you paint otherwise they will show through
I often forget this .

1 Like

What a lovely portrait! Is that you, Muddy?

1 Like

When I was going to classes I couldn’t get my head round this. The teacher used to get a ruler and draw lines to enlarge the area to paint while talking so fast I didnt understand at all . I still dont . The grid sounds easier

Thank you Tabbs
Susan I think your teacher may have been talking about the golden triangle way of making a composition but I’m not sure there are other ways the old masters sometimes used the grid system by putting up a network of strings in between their subject model and themsleves .

1 Like

A bit more I am back using oils so must wait for it to dry

1 Like

Yes I agree, so have you used a pantograph to rough out an enlarged sketch before getting down to finalising the subject?

I have never heard of a pantogram much less used one .
I either draw free hand or use the grid method freehand if I want to enlarge something .

This is how the old masters used the grid

And below is the incredible grid used by Leonardo da Vinci

1 Like

I must say oils is tedious leaving them to dry means they re stuck with dog hairs .
Still adds texture .

3 Likes

This is looking beautiful, Muddy!

1 Like

Very nice, Muddy
!

1 Like

When I lived at home as a callow youth, I used the grid method to copy a space scene from one of my Superman type comics on to a bedroom wall. It was around eight foot by six foot and turned out very well. Used to scare the hell out of my niece. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Muddy, the art work is beautiful, don’t blow by divulging the tricks of the trade.

Thank you Spitty .
You still have to do the drawing and paint it that’s the hard part :slight_smile:

I know from playing musical instruments what you mean Muddy.

Nearly done

2 Likes

Excellent work, Muddy. Very talented.

1 Like

Muddy - that is so beautiful - what more could it need?

I love the Dalmation scarf!

1 Like

Fantastic Muddy

1 Like