US Republican Congressman George Santos - Update - Charged with fraud and money laundering

Mr Santos was elected to represent a district covering parts of Nassau County - in Long Island - and Queens and is scheduled to be sworn in on 3 January.

Allegations about discrepancies in his backstory were first made in a New York Times report last week. The newspaper published an investigation this month alleging Mr Santos - who was elected to Congress in the November midterm elections - had made several lies on his resume.

Those included that he had graduated from Baruch College in New York and worked at high-profile Wall Street firms Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. Mr Santos admitted earlier this week he had never worked for either firm directly and had lied on his CV about graduating from college, saying he was “embarrassed” that he had not.

Regarding accusations he had misrepresented his Jewish ancestry, he told the New York Post in an interview published on Monday that he was Catholic and never claimed to be Jewish but when “I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish’”.

The congressman-elect invited further scrutiny after it emerged he had tweeted apparently inconsistent stories about the death of his mother. In one tweet in July 2021, Mr Santos said “9/11 claimed my mother’s life.” In another post months later, he wrote: “December 23rd this year marks 5 years I lost my best friend and mentor,” referring to his mother. Mr Santos’s campaign website says his mother was in her office in the South Tower, the original 2 World Trade Center, on 11 September 2001, but survived and died of cancer several years later.

Prosecutors with the US attorney’s office in the Eastern District of New York have also launched a separate federal probe, a source told BBC’s US partner CBS News, as well as other US media.

CBS reported that they are looking into his finances and financial disclosures. ABC News reported it was not yet a “formal investigation”.

Besides issues with his biography, Mr Santos has faced questions about his personal wealth, and how he was able to lend his campaign $700,000 (£575,000).

US media outlets have also reported New York Attorney General Letitia James was “looking into” some of the issues raised about Mr Santos.

Mr Santos is, so far, unrepentant:

“My sins here are embellishing my resume,” Mr Santos told the Post.

A politician lying? How very unusual.

2 Likes

This one appears to be stupid, too … :grin:

1 Like

Marjorie Taylor Greene is leaping to the defence of George Santos, a Republican congressman-elect from New York who has earned fierce criticisms from the right and left for lying or distorting key aspects of his biography, including his career history, education, and family background.

Mr Santos, who is slated to represent parts of Long Island and Queens, falsely claimed to be a successful landlord who worked at top Wall Street firms after graduating Baruch College and New York University. He also may have lied about being descended from Jewish migrants fleeing WWII.

Ms Greene has faced her own accusations of lying in important political contexts. In April, in the course of a lawsuit seeking to bar her from Congress for her support of the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol, she denied having a discussion about implementing marshal law with Trump officials, despite text messages from the time that suggest otherwise.

During the Fox News interview, Ms Gabbard questioned the New York Republican about how voters could trust him.

“If I were one of those in New York’s 3rd District right now, now that the election is over, and I’m finding out all of these lies that you’ve told, not just one little lie or one little embellishment — these are blatant lies,” Ms Gabbard said while filling in for Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday. “My question is — do you have no shame?” she continued.

Mr Santos, the first gay man elected to the House as a Republican non-incumbent, defended his record. “So, look, I understand everybody wants to nitpick at me,” he said. “I’m gonna reassure this once and for all. I’m not a facade. I’m not a persona. I have an extensive career that I worked really hard to achieve.”

I wonder what this “extensive career” was … :017:

ETA

An extensive life of lying and a dalliance with criminality.

:roll_eyes:

Santos has aligned himself with Donald Trump. He has called police brutality a “made-up concept”.

The way the BBC wrote this is confusing. Lying on a resume is not illegal, so the AG investigating him for that is weird. But apparently there are some other issues.

These are illegal.

That said, some of this is political. The Democrats want one more open seat to get some leverage. Not to say this guy isn’t brazen with the lying but a lying politician is common.

https://www.axios.com/2022/12/22/george-santos-new-york-ag-probes-resume-scandal

2 Likes

“Stupid” Santos is surely in a league of his own:

Santos’s maternal great-grandfather was born in Belgium and immigrated to Brazil in 1884. Santos’s parents were born in Brazil, and he has claimed to have dual citizenship.

Santos claimed that his maternal grandparents were Ukrainian Jews who fled to Belgium and then to Brazil to escape the Holocaust during World War II, and separately claimed that his mother was an “immigrant from Belgium”, but genealogical records and other evidence show that his ancestors have lived in Brazil for at least three generations and that there is nothing to indicate they have any connection to Ukraine, have any Jewish heritage, or are Holocaust survivors. Santos has used the name “Anthony Zabrovsky” to fundraise for a pet charity, while records contradict Santos’ claim that his maternal grandparents had a Ukrainian Jewish last name of Zabrovsky. Santos has also claimed that he was biracial and was born to an African American father, who had Angolan roots, but there is no evidence of that.

On his campaign website, Santos wrote that his mother was “the first female executive at a major financial institution” and that she worked in the South Tower of the World Trade Center and died “a few years later” after surviving the September 11 attacks. His mother’s actual occupation has been described as domestic worker or home care nurse. In July 2021, Santos stated on Twitter that “9/11 claimed my mothers life”; in an October 2021 interview, Santos said that his mother was “caught up in the ash cloud” during 9/11, but “never applied for relief” because the family could afford the medical bills; in December 2021, Santos stated on Twitter that his mother died five years prior; in December 2022, Santos claimed that both of his parents survived being “down there” at the World Trade Center during 9/11.

Santos claimed in 2019 and 2020 to have attended the Horace Mann School, an elite preparatory school, before withdrawing because of family hardship. The school reports it has no record of Santos.

After obtaining a high school equivalency diploma, Santos spent time in Brazil. In 2008, Santos (then 19) stole a checkbook from a man in Brazil who was being cared for by Santos’s mother, and wrote fraudulent checks. He confessed and was charged with check fraud, but did not respond to a court summons; Brazilian authorities told The New York Times that the case remains unresolved.

Santos claimed to hold a bachelor’s degree in finance and economics from Baruch College, but the school has no record of this, and the period Santos said he was at Baruch overlapped with his time in Brazil. He also claimed to hold a Master of Business Administration degree from New York University, but NYU has no record of his attendance.

From October 2011 to July 2012, Santos worked as a customer service representative at a call center for Dish Network in College Point, Queens. During this time, he reportedly told acquaintances and coworkers that his family was wealthy and had extensive real estate holdings in the U.S. and Brazil. He repeated this claim during his 2022 congressional campaign, claiming that he and his family owned 13 rental properties in New York. No such properties were listed on his campaign’s financial disclosure forms or in public records. Santos admitted to the Post that the claim was false and he owned no properties as of the end of 2022.

A 2013 Rio de Janeiro court notice of embezzlement charges against Santos describes him as an “American teacher”, 25 and single. In September 2014, an acquaintance lent Santos several thousand dollars he said he needed to move in with his boyfriend. The acquaintance recalled that Santos had claimed to be a graduate of NYU’s business school, even though Santos did not seem to know that that school is commonly known as the Stern School. Santos refused to pay the money back; a judge later rejected his claim that the money had been a gift and ordered Santos to repay it with interest, which he had not done as of 2022.

Santos said he founded a charity for rescue animals called Friends of Pets United in 2013 and ran it until 2018. He said the group was a tax-exempt charity, but the Internal Revenue Service has no record that the group was registered as a nonprofit organization. Friends of Pets United held a 2017 fundraiser event for a New Jersey animal rescue group, but the organizer of the rescue group said that Santos never gave it any of the proceeds.

Santos described himself as a “seasoned Wall Street financier and investor” and said he had worked for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs, but neither company has any record of him. Santos’s campaign website stated that he “began working at Citigroup as an associate and quickly advanced to become an associate asset manager in the real asset division of the firm” but Citigroup sold its asset management division in 2005. On a 2022 podcast he claimed that while employed at Goldman he attended the SALT private equity conference seven years earlier where, on a panel, he criticized his employer for investing in renewable energy, calling a taxpayer-subsidized scam. Anthony Scaramucci, who runs the conference, said there is no record of Santos having sat on a panel or even having attended any SALT conference.

Santos’s claimed employment at Citigroup overlapped with his employment as a Dish Network customer service representative during the same period. He clarified to the Post that a subsequent employer had been in limited partnerships with those companies and his claim that he had been employed there was “a poor choice of words … I will be clearer about that”.

Santos also claimed to have worked for MetGlobal, and by 2019 was working for LinkBridge Investors, eventually becoming a vice president, according to his campaign disclosure form and a company document. While running for Congress, he moved from LinkBridge to become a regional director at Harbor City Capital, a Florida firm the Securities and Exchange Commission subsequently accused of running a $17 million Ponzi scheme. Santos was not personally named in the lawsuit, nor were other colleagues of his, and he publicly denied any knowledge of the fraud.

According to his financial disclosures, Santos was the sole owner and managing member of the Devolder Organization, which he said was a family-owned company that managed $80 million in assets. On financial disclosure forms, Santos called Devolder a “capital introduction consulting” firm. Although based in New York, the company was registered in Florida, where it was dissolved in 2022 for failing to file annual reports. During his 2022 campaign for Congress, Santos lent his campaign more than $700,000, and reported receiving a salary of $750,000 and dividends of between $1 million and $5 million from Devolder, even though he also listed the company’s estimated value as in the same range. Despite the claims about the company’s size, Santos’s financial disclosure forms did not list any clients using the company’s services; three experts in election law interviewed by the Times said that this omission “could be problematic if such clients exist”. On December 20, 2022, the day after the Times article was published, Santos re-registered the Devolder Organization in Florida. Josh Marshall reported on Talking Points Memo that Santos listed himself as the registered agent on the paperwork, which could only be done if he lived in Florida and not New York. He gave as the company’s mailing address a Merritt Island apartment purchased by a couple in August.

In a November 2022 interview, Santos discussed the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, saying: “I happened to, at the time, have people that worked for me in the club … My company at the time, we lost four employees that were at Pulse.” None of the 49 victims slain in the attack appear to have a connection to any of the companies named in Santos’s biography. In a December 2022 interview, Santos changed his account, saying: “We did lose four people that were going to be coming to work for the company that I was starting up in Orlando”.

Literally … unbelievable … :open_mouth:

Dodgy dealings are more disturbing:

Questions about Santos’s background emerged in September 2022, when Long Island news publication The North Shore Leader questioned his finances, including an “inexplicable rise” in reported net worth from 2020 to 2022, but no other media outlet continued reporting on the matter until after the 2022 election In October 2022, the Leader wrote that it “would like to endorse a Republican” in the race, but Santos “is so bizarre, unprincipled and sketchy that we cannot … he’s most likely just a fabulist — a fake”, so the Leader endorsed Zimmerman.

Santos filed personal financial disclosure forms required of congressional candidates by the House in early September, 20 months past the due date, when he had raised $5,000 in campaign funds. The North Shore Leader took note of the contrast between them and similar forms he had filed for the 2020 elections. In 2020, he had given a net worth of $5,000 and claimed his only income was his $50,000 Harbor Hill salary. But by 2022, he said he was worth between $2.5 and $11 million, including $1–5 million in personal bank accounts, a Rio condominium dwelling valued between half a million and a million dollars, and business interests accounting for the rest. He reported no real property in the U.S., at odds with past claims that he owned two mansions in Long Island, one of which, in the Hamptons, he had reportedly told fellow Republicans he was selling for around $10 million because he rarely used it (the Leader reported that at the time, someone with no connection to Santos owned it, and it was valued at $2 million).

The Leader also noted that a $600,000 loan Santos had reported making to his campaign earlier in the year on his required campaign financial disclosure forms was not listed as a liability on his personal forms, even as he had disclosed a $20,000–50,000 car loan he took out for the Nissan he drove. He claimed no income.

During his campaign, Santos made large expenditures; he used campaign funds to pay for shirts for staff from Brooks Brothers, meals at the restaurant at the Bergdorf Goodman department store, and $40,000 in airline fares, including to out-of-state locations in California, Texas and Florida, and a stay at The Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida.

Someone’s picking up the tab … :047:

It will be interesting to see if they can take this guy down, but as I’m reading all this crazy stuff, I’m asking myself which one of these things has Trump not done.

As they say though, that’s why Trump can’t back winners, no one can get away with stuff like he can.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65541012

The Republican congressman has just turned himself in to authorities at federal court on Long Island.

The Republican congressman has been charged with 13 counts. Here’s what each of them alleges:

• Counts one through five: wire fraud - Santos allegedly sent emails and texts falsely claiming that money raised would be used for his House campaign
  • Counts six through eight: unlawful monetary transactions over $10,000 - on three separate occasions, Santos allegedly electronically transferred more than $20,000 of funds into his bank account
  • Count nine: theft of public money - between June 2020 and April 2021, Santos allegedly stole public funds from the government
  • Counts 10 and 11: fraudulent unemployment benefits - between June 2020 and April 2021, Santos “knowingly and intentionally devise[d] a scheme” to defraud the New York State Department of Labor, prosecutors say
  • Counts 12 and 13: prosecutors allege he made false statements to Congress on income disclosure forms

In announcing the charges today, Breon Peace, a US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, said prosecutors were seeking to hold Santos accountable for “various alleged fraudulent schemes and brazen misrepresentations”.

“Taken together, the allegations in the indictment charge Santos with relying on repeated dishonesty and deception to ascend to the halls of Congress and enrich himself," Peace said.

“He used political contributions to line his pockets, unlawfully applied for unemployment benefits that should have gone to New Yorkers who had lost their jobs due to the pandemic, and lied to the House of Representatives.”

Peace pledged to continue to “aggressively root out corruption” and hold public officials accountable.

Well, 13 counts is a good start - I’m sure more will follow … :wink:

Santos voted for a bill that punishes the crime he was just charged with.