Update on Holly

I’m another one hoping that a new diet will do the trick for your little one.
Got everything crossed here, and getting the pooches to cross their paws too!
Let it be so!

Thanks all. What she actually gave me was sachets of the same digestive care (code I/D), but for cats! When we go home she wolfed down nearly a whole sachet. I didn’t want to give too much. The vet said she loved it. However, I paid just over £4 for just five sachets, so quite expensive. She couldn’t find any cans.

So for the next few days it’ll still be scrambled eggs and chicken, and some of the sachet. Or I might try her own I/D again. She’ll bankrupt me at this rate, lol.

She had held on all day with wee and poo so when I got home I made her hang about outside in our grounds, and eventually she did a poo (watery to start off with), and a wee. I took her inside, got my bag for clearing up her mess, but even with a torch could only find a bit, so got a bucket of soapy water and threw that over the grass, and went for another load. I’ll check the area in the morning when it’s light. She went poo over several places, unfortunately.

I then later on took her for a walk up the road, and what did she do? Picked up several chicken bones and had my hand off several times, whenever I tried to get them off her! I was so exasperated, and exhausted, I picked her up and carried her most of the way back. We weren’t out long.

I will try the Halti head collar and training lead, but if that doesn’t work, then it HAS to be a muzzle, for the next step.

i just wish people would stop dropping their fast food rubbish on the floor.

It makes you think, don’t it, the thread on here all dogs poo in the street, but what about the mess humans dump too!

They will help you with taking things off her and should do ‘food refusal’ at training too Jazzi, so don’t give up. It is important she lets you take things as one day she could pick up something poisonous.

A chap I used to know had a Gt. Dane, and he wouldn’t give stuff up either.
One day when we were walking, his dog picked up a really stinking dead rabbit, oozing with maggots :shock:.
They were all in the dogs mouth - Agh! The chap had helluva a job getting it off him, he weren’t going to part with his new trophy if he could help it. Revolting it was.

Hope you both get some sleep tonight. :slight_smile:

Oh God Mups…that is disgusting!!!

I hope to go to puppy class next week if she is well. I’ve just ordered a dozen of these pouches from Pets at Home, to be delivered in store on Monday. I’ll take Holly with me and we can wander about spending more money, maybe! Lol. Though I will spend money on petrol, saving about 12p a pouch, I would spend petrol anyway if I went back to the vets and bought more. Swings and roundabouts, really.

She’s dozing at my feet and hasn’t twigged yet it’s bedtime.

Have you got a Pets @ Home loyalty card Jazzi, that might help a bit with special offers?

I’ve been reading a very interesting article tonight about vets fees, but I will have to make a separate thread about it. These fees can vary by up to quadruple for the same treatment but in different areas! That is why pet insurances ask us what area we live!

I’ll post about it tomorrow, I’m too tired tonight.
Night night. :039:

That is very true about the different fees Mups and it applies to different vet practices as much as different areas:!:
One of my cats needs an inhaler for his asthma. It was prescribed by an animal hospital (13 miles away) when he needed emergency treatment… they charged me £85 for it. When I asked my regular vet for some more they wanted to charge me £130, for the same thing… so I changed my cat’s vet to the animal hospital.
The hospital also have nursing staff who work through the night, if your pet has to be kept in for treatment!:smiley:

I’m glad that there is nothing wrong with Holly, just make sure you don’t take your eye off her when walking the streets, picking up mess.

I started to fill in the PaH form, but at the time she hadn’t been named, and I haven’t got round to it. Will look for the form this morning.

This morning I found some of her poo piles (bit watery) on the grass, where I’d missed it last night, so got some kitchen paper from the bag I had with me, and scraped it up. Don’t want any neighbours accusing me of not clearing up.

They usually have those forms at the check out Jazzi.
If you fill it in there, you can use the card on the same purchase.

I know, but I do have one somewhere.

Having a Labrador and having had a retriever it’s been really important to teach leave and ignore. We started in doors at home with food only letting them go to it and having it on a command. Mine may be lunatics normally but anything really important like ignoring food on the street or those hateful needles round the side of the shop was drummed in as early as we could.

Your holly is still a baby but it can’t hurt to start on that and once they get it walks become far more relaxing.

Little story about one of our late doggies Benny we didn’t teach him to leave and ignore he was a terrier so not a great picker up of stuff, but one sunny afternoon we we wandering over the local dog walk through the army land at Pirbright and he was darting through the trees and long grass having a great time. Called him back as we could see horses in the distance and he came back looking so pleased with him self and dropped an unexplored shell at my feet. My husband nearly fainted, I did a little squeak and trying to get him to leave it so we could back away was panic stations.
Chap from the army who came out to get it said didn’t we read the signs not to pick anything up ? Spend years after trying to teach Benny to read :mrgreen:

Oh Julie, that was funny! But serious, have to agree.

Yes I do teach her leave and indoors she will respond to the command. She is good that way. I guess I will also have to do it with food.

They always say, it’s the owners who need training, just as much as the animal.

I really think at some point we all feel overwhelmed with a puppy, I can always remember brief moments I’ve wondered what we’ve taken on and can we cope. Certainly with being ill and having Elsie Labrador that came up several times, luckily my husband and Nathan were more than happy to step up and do the walking of the lunatic. I just can’t walk her alone I’m not strong enough any more.

On your own that must be quite a worry so I do get what you are going through with her, I really do.

Thanks Julie. I took her out earlier to the pharmacy to collect my prescription, and at home she weed on the grass, but did the diarrhoea at the back of the car park. I tried scraping it up with paper but because of the road surface it was impossible. So I had to take her in, and get a bucket of hot soapy water, with disinfectant, and use a scrubbing brush to disperse it.

Why is she still doing it??? Cooking chicken and veg now, and have some rice cooked.

Bloody pissed off that the woman from the allotment who ‘bullied’ me last year, prompting me to resign from the committee, thinks she could dole out advice after my Fb post on our local group, asking for the pavements to be better cleaned.

I am not answering her,mor acknowledging her comments!! I effing hate the bitch, and want nothing to do with her. Who does she think she is?!

Just ignore her in future Jazzi.

I intend to Susie.

Some people have very thick skins jazzi and look like rhinos too ;-):mrgreen:

ROFL…sums her up to a T!!! :lol:

Jazzi, I wouldn’t be happy about paying the vet so much money and still didn’t have a result! I would be back there asking questions smartish.

As for the old bag on your allotments, it sounds a very personal vendetta to me. Is she only like it with you, or is she horrible to everyone?
I think you have enough on your plate at the mo, without her as well!

ATM I think it’s personal to me, but apparently her in laws can’t abide her! They know what she is truly like.
(My niece is engaged to her husband’s nephew.)