Tory MP Chris Pincher resigns over groping allegations; Tamworth by-election will take place today

I don’t think you will ever stop humans behaving badly but if we take the attitude that we’ll never stop it so why bother to investigate it and hold people to account for their bad behaviour, it sends the message that it’s OK.

That is how all those paedophiles got away with abusing kids in chiidren’s homes for so long because nobody wanted to stand up and speak out.

1 Like

like on here too

I think that might deserve a thread on it’s own Boot. I don’t think it’s relevant with Mr Pincher.
How else would he find consenting adults if he didn’t touch a few up occasionally. Not all of them would have complained.

I hope this was meant as a terrible joke and not actually serious?

2 Likes

Former Conservative MP for Tamworth Chris Pincher quit as deputy chief whip in June amid allegations he sexually assaulted two guests at a London club.

He is under investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, Kathryn Stone. She opened the probe citing allegations of “actions causing significant damage to the reputation of the House”.

Mr Pincher quit his government role on 30 June after allegedly assaulting fellow guests at the Carlton Club venue the evening before.

… and BJ’s downfall began … :roll_eyes:

A regular occurrence, now. Boring.

Not all “occurrences” bring down a Prime Minister and, thereby, precipitate a national financial crisis caused by his successor.

Indeed, the sleazy stories about them are.
Conservative MP David Warburton.
Conservative MP Imran Ahmad Khan.
Ex-Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke.
Labour MP Chris Matheson.

The media can capitalise on it better.
@OldGreyFox Allegations have to be reported responsibly, at least until an arrest and charged.

None of them were Prime Minister.

Boris has not been charged? Misconduct in public office is an offence, plenty of allegations, has a long history of sailing close to the wind and gets away with it.

Parliament’s standards watchdog is to publish the findings of an inquiry into groping allegations against former government whip Chris Pincher on Thursday, the BBC has been told. The report could lead to a by-election in his constituency, if a suspension of more than 10 days is agreed. Sources familiar with the process said they expected the punishment to meet the threshold for a recall petition.

The Standards Committee’s report on the investigation is expected to be published at 09:00 on Thursday. The sanction recommended by the committee will have to be agreed by MPs.

The report follows an investigation by the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner over allegations of “actions causing significant damage to the reputation of the House”.

Mr Pincher currently sits as an independent member in the House of Commons.

That is because he had the Conservative whip removed when a formal complaint about him was made to the standards commissioner, which examines reports of bullying, harassment and sexual misconduct.

Recall for Pincher … :079:

In its report, the Standards Committee has recommended an eight week suspension, triggering a recall petition in Mr Pincher’s Tamworth constituency - if 10% of voters sign it, a by-election is called.

He would still be allowed to stand, but having announced he plans to step down at the next election anyway, it seems unlikely.

Harsh … but fair … :neutral_face:

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is already facing three by-elections on 20 July after Mr Johnson, Nigel Adams and David Warburton announced their resignations from parliament last month.

A fourth is also expected for former culture secretary Nadine Dorries’ seat, as she has promised to resign.

It never rains but it pours … :umbrella:

After what he’s been up to, Mr Pincher is very well named! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :rofl:

MPs had been due to vote on whether to approve the eight-week punishment. However, this will not take place until the appeal of Mr Pincher - who now sits as an independent MP - is complete.

His appeal will be heard by the Independent Expert Panel, an independent body which does not include any MPs.

If his appeal fails, MPs will then vote on whether to approve his eight-week suspension.

The Treasury’s annual report, published on Thursday, revealed that Mr Pincher received a £7,920 severance payment after his resignation as deputy chief whip.

Another scrounger hanging on to amass as much “loot” as he can … :roll_eyes:

In its report, Parliament’s conduct watchdog said the former Conservative deputy chief whip’s behaviour amounted to an abuse of power. The decision means a by-election in his Tamworth seat is a step closer.

MPs will now vote on whether to approve the eight-week punishment. The move is normally a formality and, if approved, would trigger a recall petition which could lead to a by-election.

An inquiry was launched into the behaviour of the Tamworth MP last year following an incident at the private members Carlton Club in central London.

Parliament’s standards commissioner Daniel Greenberg found that Mr Pincher groped a then-employee of the House of Lords on his arm and neck, before groping his bottom. He also found that he groped a civil servant’s bottom and then groped his testicles.

Tut, tut … :018:

The move means there will be a by-election in his constituency of Tamworth in Staffordshire, which has a Conservative majority of nearly 20,000.

In his resignation statement today Mr Pincher said: "I have said already that I will not stand at the next general election. I do not want my constituents to be put to further uncertainty, and so in consequence I have made arrangements to resign and leave the Commons.

Blimey … the end of a long-drawn-out process at last … :roll_eyes:

Hi

Shame he didn’t hang on, now two by elections on the same day instread of dragging out the problems for Rishi.

1 Like

I’m surprised he’s still hanging around thought he had gone months ago .

1 Like

A by-election will take place in Tamworth on 19 October following the resignation of MP Chris Pincher.

Nominations closed on 22 September, and these candidates have declared their intention to replace Mr Pincher.

• Robert Bilcliff, UKIP

• Andrew Cooper, Conservative

• Ian Cooper, Reform UK

• Sarah Edwards, Labour

• Howling Laud Hope, The Official Monster Raving Loony Party

• Dr Sue Howarth, Green Party

• Peter Longman, Independent

• Ashlea Simon, Britain First PPC

• Sunny Virk, Lib Dems candidate

Chris Pincher, the former Conservative deputy whip, was elected to the seat with a majority of more than 19,000 in 2019.

The result will be interesting.