Unexpected food combinations from tik tok

I was watching one of my favorite youtubers from the UK (Raphael Gomes) trying out unexpected food combinations from tik tok.

Here’s some of the ones he said were great.

1. watermelon and French’s yellow mustard
  2. honey roasted peanuts and banana
  3. sprite and skittles
  4. orange fanta and chcolate ice cream
  5. flat pretzels with condensed milk
  6. banana and mayo
  7. McDonald’s vanilla milkshake with expresso
  8. kimchi and rice crispy treats
  9. nutella and pickles
  10. carrot juice and oreos
  11. jello on grapes then frozen (jello is hard to get in the UK?)
  12. peanut butter and cup noodles

Only a couple were horrible

cinnamon on watermelon
milk on chocolate ice cream

What weird food combinations do you like?

2 Likes

Some of those sound absolutely dreadful!! :043:

I did notice some ‘nice’ combinations that worked well when I was younger (I don’t eat sweets and junk food anymore) - Munchies (chocolates) with Walkers Beef and Onion crips :lol: and orange juice with orange truffles chocolate (think they were made by the same brand that makes Munchies).

In school, chips and beans and… milk used to go really well too :044: (I loved the chips they used to make at school!)

I actually loved school dinners, especially the deserts :icon_redface:

1 Like

If I’m translating the English correctly for the non-UK people, this is french fries and baked beans with a glass of milk. That’s called diner food here.

You can get it at a greasy spoon restaurant or a diner. Often comes on the side of crispy fried chicken.

1 Like

No - only we call it Jam!

1 Like

I am very fond of the Thai combination of mango and rice, so much so that I learned how to make it myself. One of my Malaysian friend’s Thai DIL showed me but this is as close as I can find.

BTW it was an interesting conversation as the DIL doesn’t speak English and my friend doesn’t speak Thai so the demonstration was carried out with a commentary in Hokkien with lots of pointing and nodding involved.

Perhaps it is not so strange but I thought it was when I was first offered it.

2 Likes

I had to look this up. So confusing.

Raphael was talking about Jell-O which is flavored gelatin in powdered form.

1 Like

You might like mochi mango ice cream which is sticky rice that is pounded to a smooth consistency with mango ice cream in the middle.

Very confusing - especially as our Jelly is usually in cubes rather than powder! :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

That looks very tasty!

1 Like

Here’s some of the ones he said were great. (adding his comments)

1. watermelon and French’s yellow mustard (vinegary with sweet, good if you like vinegary stuff)

2. honey roasted peanuts and banana (tastes like baby food, not too unexpected)

3. sprite and skittles (tastes like alcohol and a mai tai)

4. orange fanta and chcolate ice cream (makes fanta taste better and chocolate ice cream taste better)

5. flat pretzels with condensed milk (if you like condensed milk like he does, it’s fantastic)

6. banana and mayo (tastes like banana custard with sour at the end, not great but not as horrible as you’d think)

7. McDonald’s vanilla milkshake with expresso (better than Starbucks but not unexpected, best thing at McDonalds, 100 out of 10)

8. kimchi and rice crispy treats (the vinegary of the kimchi with the creaminess of the marshmallow balances out)

9. nutella and pickles (tastes like sweet pickle relish, the chocolate doesn’t go together but it’s not horrible)

10. carrot juice and oreos (tastes like carrot cake, is this voodoo?, how does this go together?, the chocolate is a bit out of place but it’s ok)

11. jello on grapes then frozen (jello is hard to get in the UK?) (tastes exactly like gummi bears)

12. peanut butter and cup noodles (makes the noodles creamy and tastes pretty good, doesn’t smell great, who thinks up these things?)

1 Like

@butterscotch - I would happily try 2 and 11. Might try 1 - but not with french mustard (yuk).

1 Like

The Fanta and ice-cream is a copy of what we used to have when I was a kid, except we used Ben Shaw’s dandelion & burdock pop. I think the Yanks used to call it an ice-cream float?

2 Likes

11 might be difficult to get the jello. She poured the powder over the grapes in a ziploc bag, tossed them to coat well and then froze.

I tried getting a picture of what you call jelly. Saw a few, but all of them costs money to post, a lot of money. Why are people hiding what jelly in the UK looks like? :laughing:

You can get jelly crystals for use in fruit flans - they dissolve quicker than the cubes.

2 Likes

Ice cream floats are common, especially root beer floats which is vanilla ice cream in root beer soda. It’s the combination of orange and chocolate that makes it sound horrible. But maybe that’s a common combination?

Here’s some guy’s review. Sounds a bit like root beer except for the sour aftertaste.

1 Like

Food of the gods…

Their cloudy lemonade wasn’t too bad either. Come to think of it, so was grapefruit crush and ginger beer. The only one I didn’t like was cream soda - too sweet and sickly.

2 Likes