UK to send four million Pfizer Covid vaccine doses to Australia

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the move, in a press conference from Canberra, just days after his country also secured 500,000 about-to-expire Pfizer doses from Singapore.

“The plane is on the tarmac now. It will be leaving tomorrow,” Mr Morrison said. “Those doses will be coming over the course of the next few weeks, which will see us double the Pfizer doses that we have during September. This means from Downing Street to Down Under, we are doubling down on what the Pfizer doses are here in Australia this month.”

Australia has one of the slowest vaccine rollouts among wealthy countries, with just 36.4 per cent of people over the age of 16 fully vaccinated, according to the Australian Immunisation Register.

Share and share alike … :+1:

1 Like

The world has gone crazy and whilst we in Oz are thankful for your assistance I personally am for ever concerned about the way that the western world has taken care of itself in this regard and neglects assisting the underdeveloped parts of our planet earth - like African countries - some Asian countries and not forgotten that once British Empire mother India. The rich and powerful continue to be greedy and selfish imo ps: I hear some say “share and share alike…” I trust that was tongue in cheek dear fellow?

2 Likes

There are rich and powerful in Africa , India and Asia they are well capable of buying vaccine for their people .

i don’t think the rich and powerful in Europe spend their money on vaccines for the working class either?

The working class get it free on the NHS to which all working people contribute ,

1 Like

That’s good news. My son and his family are hoping to move back to the U.K. this year.
Unfortunately, the Australian Government are making it difficult to leave, especially skilled workers.
He had been told until 80% of the country have been vaccinated, it will be hard to leave. Then they ran out of vaccines.
This lot of vaccines sent out to Australia will help the country achieve the 80% and hopefully higher.
My son and his partner have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccinations

That’s not quite true, there is nothing special about skilled workers, basically no one is leaving without a permit. Only Australian residents are allowed in, there are very few seats on planes in or out so if you are not prepared to pay business or first class fares, forget it.

and effectively so?? Covid control chaos

Certainly where I live it was done very well . The vulnerable and then by age working downwards .
They were doing over 1000 people a day at my surgery .
They also opened various centres at the race course and other venues,
Have you had yours yet Gummy ?

@Artangel ,. Is your son mad Arty ??
Coming back to UK ?
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

@Bruce , Why can’t Ozzie afford to buy their own vaccines Brucy ??
I believe you are also getting a load of vaccine from the Philippines as well ?
Trouble is they are almost out of their shelf life !!
Did you get them cheap ?
Donkeyman! :grin::thinking::grin:

Donkeyman, The reason my son wants to return is because he and his partner have a 3 year old daughter. They had her when they were both 44. His concern is because they are older it would be better to be in a country where his daughter has relatives.
He has his own business there in partnership with an Australian man but will sell his share.
He had hoped to come home in November but isn’t optimistic about that now. He did live and ran his business in Sydney but moved to Port Macquarie where his business partner originates from. My son has not settled very well there, the people are different and quite ‘racist’ in a way to English people.

@Artangel , As long as he knows what he is coming back to Arty ??
I understand his problems with some of the original immigrants to Ozzie as
when l went to South Africa they were still fighting the boere war in some
areas !! However, l ended up with a good few afrikaner friends eventually !!
Don’t forget, his daughter will grow up and have friends of her own !!
Maybe you should consider moving out there instead :hugs::hugs:
I’m not trying to get rid of you BTW !!
Donkeyman! :grin::grin:

1 Like

Dear Assman, Aww so sweet.

Yes Australia can afford Vaccines it is just that our PM, Scotty from Marketing, didn’t order any Pfizer or Moderna early on in the pandemic despite the companies actually approaching him with very good deals. He decided AstraZeneca would do because we can make it and it is cheap, alas the population decided it was a dud and refused to have it.

The clue is in the word swap, they give us their short dated vaccines because we can get them into arms before they expire and when our order eventually is available we will return them to the UK and Singapore (not the Philippines, and yes, Assman, they are different countries)

I hope that helps.

@Bruce , .:grin::grin::grin:!!
Donkeyman!