UK - Pound falls further after Bank of England’s emergency move

Forcing house prices to collapse (which seems to be a side effect they hadn’t considered) will bring the entire country into an economic depression. More Venezuela than Singapore.

Sits patiently waiting for Omah’s good news post about how the pound has risen back to $1.08.

1 Like

If you think that $1.08 is “good news” then your optimism is significantly at variance with the rest of the world:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/26/uk-gbp-pound-falls-usd-dollar/

The continuing swings in stock and bond values on both sides of the Atlantic are the latest sign that interest rate hikes have unleashed a fundamental change in the global financial climate

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/17584-summers-pound-to-euro-and-dollar-parity

@AnnieS , I think HS2 has allready been abandoned !
Beyond Birmingham anyway ?
On the collapse of the housing market, l was partly jesting ??!
But if it happened,there would be some benefits from this.as building
materials would also crash. thus creating a building boom, with the
consequent growth in building jobs spurring the new economy !
Plus new homes for all !!
Surely this would be good ! :+1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1:

If the housing market crashes it won’t create a building boom.

Gawd I’ve heard different economists saying different things. It’s all guess work. This time last year, they were saying something different to they are saying now. So unless you’ve got a crystal ball, sorry but all these economists forecasts mean nothing to me. The only fact is that yesterday morning the pound was worth $1.03 today the pound is worth $1.08. Have just been listening to Ian King’s programme and an economist is forecasting Germany’s recession to get worse. What do I think, I think it might, it might not, I’ll wait and see until next year.

1 Like

Your patience may yet be rewarded … or not … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Pretty much any economist will tell you that you cannot keep on borrowing at high interest rates based on a candy floss my little pony mentality that everything will be fine in the end, and if it isn’t fine it isn’t the end. All those who hold government bonds should be nervous.

Indeed. So why do you, on occasion, post cherry picked links to articles supporting your own view if they’re all equally as incredible?

Lead by example and rise above it all :wink::yum:

@AnnieS , " crash, boom, housing ,"
Maybe! Maybe not ! :grin::grin:

Well one would hope that someone sensible steps in and stops the crazy runaway train that the new lot have set the country on.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea…Truss = Trojan horse. 2 years to go, then it’s farewell to the Tories for a long, long, long time.

I think that is/was the idea Donkeyman, with houses springing up on any bit of waste ground they can find. Producing jobs, buying materials, and injecting money into the economy. Not that any bugger will be able to afford them without getting into serious debt…But hasn’t that always been the plan? Get everyone to owe money and be a slave to the state for the rest of your life.

When I went for an interview for an engineering job after finishing my apprenticeship, the foreman asked me what were my plans for the future. I told him I was shortly to be married and get a mortgage to buy a house…
“You have got the job” he said…“With a mortgage round your neck and a family to support, you will work hard, do plenty of overtime, and not want any time off”…He was right…But worth it in the end…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@OldGreyFox WELCOME TO THE TREADMILL !! :+1::grin::grin::+1:

1 Like

We’ll be alright here in London, it’s the trickle down effect. Unfortunately it doesn’t trickle any further than the North/South Circular. Our homes will be worth £1M more by the next GE.

2 Likes

Without knowing which particular article you’re talking about I couldn’t say the reason why I posted it at that particular time. Yes, I sometimes post an article that gives an opposing view, but that’s only to give the other side of the story, not that I necessarily agree with it.

2 Likes

@d00d , yeah and you will be surround by furinners coz we can’t afford em !!
:-1::worried::-1:

Just a pity that your council tax will have increased by £1M+£1 then.

1 Like

Trouble is d00d, if you sell up, you will have to buy another house in the same inflated market…
Or move up to Yorkshire…
:sunglasses:

but we are all furinners, aren’t we!

Nah the tax band will remain the same.

Yorkshire … weird sense of humour, and those Nora Batty’s are such bullies.

2 Likes