UK - Pound falls further after Bank of England’s emergency move

The cause of the UK’s crisis is Mrs reverse Robinhood & her
cohorts.

1 Like

I didn’t realise we had a new moderator on the forum…
I post my interpretation of the news in the same way that you do. sometimes I back it up with quotes and observations from various sources which you may or may not consider sufficient. I don’t care what you think strathmore, and I shall continue to post the things I believe in, whether I can produce evidence or not. They are my opinions and observations and will continue…

1 Like

Yougov polls put Labour 33 points ahead, that would wipe the tories out,

OGF if you can’t produce any evidence to back up your assertions then you may as well be telling us that there’s a bogeyman under your bed & expect us to believe you.

Hi

To be fair to OGF , some of the so called evidence posted on here is not evidence at all merely a link to s biased statement of someone,s views.

All sorts of different views on a forum, that is what a forum is for.

Read the posts and make your own mind up.

1 Like

Anyway, what have I posted that you need me to produce evidence for Annie?

1 Like

Aha. Calling someone’s bluff eh? That dirty underhand trick. :wink::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Are surprised? Truss is battery driven zombie whose aim is to make the rich richer and drive the poor to penury.

1 Like

Hey, we all get to post our thoughts. But equally we all get to challenge unfounded claims. You, as a long standing and respected contributor to this forum, should be aware that your thoughts carry a bit of weight. Because of that I felt it appropriate to call out the unfounded claim you made - and do that calling out quite harshly. But then I think that any unfounded claim needs to be challenged and highlighted. Especially if its one that appears to be simply parroting the empty claims of Truss and co.
But you don’t shy away from calling out some of my posts so all is fair in love, war and forums. Them’s the breaks, eh?

Just for the record strathmore…And Annie…

Quote:-

Ecuador has declared itself bankrupt most times among sovereign nations.

It has declared bankruptcy 10 times.

Brazil, Mexico, Uruguay, Chile, Costa Rica, Spain and Russia have declared bankruptcy nine times during the same period.

Germany has suffered from bankruptcy 8 times in two and a half years, thus coming to the forefront of the major economic countries that have been bankrupt, followed by the US 5 times, China and UK 4 times, and Japan twice.

In the modern era, Russia declared bankruptcy in the late nineties, and in 2001, Argentina also declared bankruptcy.

Iceland

Iceland went bankrupt in 2008 with a debt of $85 billion when the global credit market dried up following the crash in the US financial sector. The banking bubble had grown so large that by 2008, the banking system had a debt that was equal to 10 times Iceland’s GDP.

As the three largest banks fell apart in what was the biggest systematic banking collapse in history, the country fell into a depression, and its economy contracted 10% over the next two years.
Interestingly, Iceland has made a solid recovery since the crisis, with unemployment holding steady at 4%, and by 2014, its economy was 1% bigger than it was before 2008.

And I believe Italy was in a bit of a mess when the currency at the time went through the floor.
Greece was bailed out by the EU when the banks refused to dispense cash…

Yes the PIGS were in trouble but that was about ten years ago. We are getting more like Turkey.

Where is your evidence that @OldGreyFox is a “respected contributor”? Please don’t make claims that you can’t back up. :grin:

That is genuinely funny. Thank you.

Thanks for lots of historic information about how a number of counties have suffered catastrophic economic failure. You clearly put a bit of work into that post. I have no idea why.
Nobody is referring to historic bankruptcies. We are only discussing the crash over the last week or so caused by the Truss / Kwarteng actions. If you have examples of crashing economies (at the level of crisis the UK is experiencing) over the last 2-3 weeks then great. These would be valid. But 1920’s Germany or 2001 Argentina has no relevance whatsoever.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/

Pound drops as Treasury says OBR forecast won’t be published until 23 November

The pound has fallen even more, as it becomes clear that the fiscal watchdog’s independent assessment of the government’s tax cuts and other plans won’t be published until the medium-term fiscal policy statement on 23 November.

Sterling is now down 0.36% at $1.1075.

strathmore… what more do you want? Blood?
This is hounding of a member.

2 Likes

Is it?
It strikes me that OGF is perfectly capable of putting up with a bit of challenge. I would not be so direct if I had not admired his resilience, sense of humour and (at times) sheer bloody mindedness across many threads. I can disagree with OGF but also recognise the value of his posts.
The last post he made, with its long explanation of the economic collapses across many countries and many decades, was thorough & interesting but completely misguided. Would you prefer I gave him a gold star for effort because these days everyone has to be a winner?

A band aid measure according to Business Australia

Basically unless the UK Government does a U turn inflation will be out of control (as I understand it)

Hi

A fair assessment of how others see the UK

We have a failure of our Political system.

An out of control Government and an inept opposition.

We are also delusional in thinking we are World leaders and setting an example others will follow

1 Like

It won’t just affect Britain but with our dollar down against the US dollar there are downside risks here too caused by the UK problems.

The Australian dollar is hovering around two-year lows against the greenback, and the stock market is down 15 per cent from peak to trough.

We’re inching towards a share “bear market”.

Quite an interesting article (it is an opinion piece)

1 Like