UK : Complaints against Dominic Raab - Update - Raab to stand down as MP at next election

Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab has resigned from the government over a report investigating bullying allegations against him. He said he had promised to resign if the inquiry found evidence of bullying and it “is important to keep my word”.

But Raab, who was also Justice Secretary, says the inquiry dismissed all but two of the claims against him. And he hits out at what he called its flawed findings, saying it sets a “dangerous precedent for the conduct of good government”.

Well, he would say that, wouldn’t he … :roll_eyes:

However, was the delay in the “government’s” response to the report caused by Sunak’s unwillingness to sack Raab and Raab’s unwillingness to go of his own volition … :nerd_face:

We’re yet to see the report and what exactly Tolley’s findings are. Undoubtedly, they will make “interesting” reading … :wink:

Raabs resigned.

His resignation letter is very worrying about the work ethic of our civil service.

2 Likes

Well, that’s what Raab thinks of the Tolley’s report … :face_with_monocle:

“Mr Tolley concluded that I had not once, in four and a half years, sworn or shouted at anyone, let alone thrown anything or otherwise physically intimidated anyone, nor intentionally sought to belittle anyone.”

Report into bullying allegations published

The report into Dominic Raab’s behaviour looks at complaints made during his time at the Ministry of Justice.

It finds that on a number of occasions, while meeting with policy officials, Raab “acted in a manner which was intimidating, in the sense of going further than was necessary or appropriate in delivering critical feedback, and also insulting, in the sense of making unconstructive critical comments about the quality of work done (whether or not as a matter of substance any criticism was justified).”

The report also looks at Dominic Raab’s conduct as Foreign Secretary, a role he served in from 2019 to 2021.

It concludes that while implementing a certain decision in the role "he acted in a way which was intimidating, in the sense of unreasonably and persistently aggressive conduct in the context of a work meeting.

“It also involved an abuse or misuse of power in a way that undermines or humiliates. He introduced an unwarranted punitive element.”

Well, that’s not exactly flattering, is it … :thinking:

It looks at his behaviour in meetings with officials as justice secretary, and picks out an example where Raab complained about the absence of “basic information” from officials, about staff "whom he perceived to be resistant to his policies, and described some work as “utterly useless” and “woeful”.

The report goes on to say that Raab did not intend to upset or humiliate, “nor did he target anyone for a specific type of treatment”.

Raab’s “interruptive style” is not in itself intimidating, the report says, but the combination of this with “unconstructive critical feedback is likely to have been experienced as intimidating, in the sense of being [u]unreasonably difficult to deal with[/o]”.

Insulting others, who can’t respond, from his position of power is hardly the best “managerial” approach … :roll_eyes:

The former deputy prime minister was interviewed four times for the investigation.

The interviews took place over two-and-a-half days, says the report’s author, lawyer Adam Tolley KC.

Raab is impatient and works long hours - inquiry lawyer

The lawyer who led the investigation - Adam Tolley KC - writes that Raab “has strong principles and is guided by them in practice.”

“The DPM’s style is, in his own words, inquisitorial, direct, impatient and fastidious.”

He is said to work a seven-day week, working “assiduously and typically from about 0730 until about 2200, Monday to Thursday.”

Friday he dedicates to constituency work, and he regularly works on weekends, he adds.

All work and no play makes Raab a nightmare to work for … :scream_cat:

Apparently, Raab has a wife and two children … little time for them, then … :man_shrugging:

If you wonder why the civil service does nothing and costs billions a year to run, just read back through your posts.

If I was PM I would start firing mandarins.

1 Like

Just from reading this thread, he seems to think that bullying is only physical. Glad there was a body of people to tell him differently.

2 Likes
  1. Raab acted in an ‘intimidating’ fashion - with ‘persistently aggressive conduct’

2. Perceived ‘threatening’ (to staff by) references to Civil Service Code

3. He went beyond what was necessary in providing ‘critical feedback’

4. Raab’s use of ‘physical gestures’ - and banging on tables:

Mr Tolley says he heard a “good deal of evidence” about Mr Raab’s “use of physical gestures in communication”. In one case, he said: “This was put as extending his hand directly out towards another person’s face with a view to making them stop talking. Another example of such an allegation was loud banging of the table to make a point.”

Bully-boy tactics employed by the moronic … :roll_eyes:

1. An abuse or misuse of power - in a way that humiliates

but

1. Raab cleared of swearing and shouting at staff

IMO, the report, as outlined, seems (not entirely unexpectedly) well-inclined towards Raab, remarking that his appalling behaviour was not intentionally malevolent.

Well im very surprised , I always thought he came across meek and mild , very quietly spoken , and wouldnt say boo to a mouse ,when Boris was taken into Hospital with Covid , I thought Raaab wasn’t up for the job for the reasons i just gave …

I wonder if he purposely became tougher for a front and it was over done …

2 Likes

Well it sounds as if he was a bit of an a.hole to work with

When you’ve got all the power, how you treat other people is important, because it’s not an equal relationship and they can’t defend themselves or treat you the same way

But bullies are often completely unaware that what they are doing is bullying. They just don’t have the empathy to understand the power dynamics and they believe what they do is normal and acceptable

1 Like

We have a real problem with millennials.

2 Likes

Dominic Raab has faced more ministerial fluctuations than most: sacked, demoted or resigning from three government jobs. One of the curiosities of Raab’s various rises and falls has been that his seemingly default abrasive manner has never really been in doubt, or even contested. The question was just whether or not this was seen as a net positive.

Arriving in parliament in 2010 aged just 36 with a healthy majority in his home counties constituency of Esher and Walton, Raab was immediately among the more prominent of the new Tory intake. He was among five Tory MPs, also including Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng, to contribute essays to Britannia Unchained, a 2012 book that set out how to save the UK from perceived mediocrity through free markets, low regulation and a renewed sense of right-wing bullishness.

Raab had by then already come to the attention of colleagues thanks to a 2011 article in which he argued that men were “getting a raw deal” in society, labelling feminists as “amongst the most obnoxious bigots”.

Among those to notice was Theresa May, the then home secretary and also minister for women. She was unimpressed, which was seen as a factor in Raab’s slow progression to even a junior ministerial post, only attained after the 2015 election.

Even then progression was not smooth. A year as a justice minister came to an end when May succeeded David Cameron, and Raab languished on the backbenches again.

May decided to return him to government in 2017 as Brexit secretary, he but resigned months later, in November 2018, over her proposed Brexit deal.

Even now, hints about Raab’s character and approach were emerging. He insisting on an inflexible schedule including daily gym time and insisting on being fetched an identical Pret a Manger lunch every day - a former staffer told a reporter she found him “very dismissive” to women.

Under Johnson, Raab reached his ministerial pinnacle: foreign secretary and deputy prime minister, but his apparent lack of flexibility was about to cause even greater difficulties.

In August 2021, as Kabul fell to the Taliban, Raab resisted calls to return from a family holiday in Crete to oversee the crisis. Once eventually back in London he reportedly held up work on evacuations by requesting documents be presented to him in a specific format. The political damage was grave, and a month later he was demoted by Johnson to justice secretary, although keeping the now largely courtesy role of deputy PM.

On Johnson’s exit, Raab returned to the backbenches yet again, until Truss’s demise, when Sunak restored Raab to his old jobs. But within weeks of his return, reports began to emerge of complaints about Raab’s manner and behaviour in all the government departments he had headed, spanning several years and at least two dozen different officials.

The verdict has now gone against Raab, and an even more definitive one could follow. When he first took his Esher and Walton seat, Raab’s majority was more than 18,000. In 2019 it was below 3,000, with the Liberal Democrats closing fast. Subsequent demographic changes have pushed ever more ex-Londoners into the Surrey seat and it is now one of the Lib Dems’ main targets. The label of a bully will not help. A political end looms.

Let’s hope so … IMO, he’s a NPOW … :-1:

As Gary Strang might, perhaps, say “Now, I’m no psychologist, Tony, as you know, but it occurs to me that Raab is a bit of a psycho … :thinking:

Obviously, everyone’s at fault except Raab … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By Sima Kotecha

UK Editor, BBC Newsnight

The investigation into bullying allegations against Dominic Raab has taken months - and the impact on some of those who have been involved in some form or another has been immense.

For BBC Newsnight, I’ve been speaking to former and current civil servants, some of whom have worked closely with Mr Raab at one point or another in the various departments he has led, although they were not complainants in the inquiry.

As they learned of his resignation as justice secretary and deputy prime minister, my WhatsApp went a bit crazy. The buzz word was “relief” that he had stepped down.

But there was also anger, with one former senior civil servant telling me, after reading his resignation letter, that his exit was “entirely consistently with how he led the department”. They went on to say “the inference one has to draw from his statement about setting standards is that previous justice secretaries and deputy prime ministers (none of whom have faced anything like the scale of criticism as Raab) were less able to achieve success through more reasonable and respectful dialogue with civil servants. It’s perhaps of note from his letter that he feels there are different, perhaps acceptable thresholds of bullying, which perhaps says all it needs to say about this whole fiasco,” they add.

Another former civil servant who worked closely with Mr Raab says his resignation letter tells you “everything you need to know” about his character. “I’m sure everyone who worked for him will note the irony of his point that ministers must be able to give direct critical feedback, when feedback was the very thing many officials felt too intimated to give to him for fear of his reaction.”

Someone who advised Mr Raab at a senior level is equally damning. “Whilst the letter contains an apology, it’s one of the best examples of a ‘non-apology’ from a minister in recent years,” they say. “Raab’s version of a secretary of state and deputy prime minister is one that should be learnt from and ultimately consigned to the history books. The level of relief from hard-working civil servants who can now, under new leadership, get on with the challenging and important jobs they signed up to do, is palpable.”

The level of antipathy in the Civil Service against Raab stirred up by Raab himself is surely unprecedented in recent times … :astonished:

The higher up the ladder he went, the more assertive he would have to be, or sod all would get done to tight timelines. There is nothing worse than going into a very important meeting only to find that your staff have not briefed you sufficiently, or worse, put the wrong sheets into the important reference file which accompanied you. He could either tell them in no uncertain terms about his displeasure or wait until their annual review and submit an adverse report. Me? I much preferred to tell them to their face at the first possible moment because that way they would not repeat their radical mistake(s).

Obviously, your experience has taught you that everyone’s at fault but you … :wink:

My experience has taught me that incompetence is most likely found in management … and confirmed by both:

The Peter Principle, which states that people are promoted until they reach a position where they are no longer competent and the Dilbert Principle, which states that they are promoted because of their incompetence.

Yes, another spot-on observation, especially when the buck stopped with me!

Having been handed the report into Raab’s alleged bullying of staff at three government departments over a number of years, prime minister Rishi Sunak spent a full 24 hours reading it and considering what to do about its findings. Ironically, if Sunak had worked for Raab, this slow pace of work would have resulted in him getting belittled for being a useless waste of space.

Allies of Raab tended to go in hard on the line that civil servants just need to toughen up. The general tenor of their defence of Raab’s alleged behaviour is: come on, nobody died.

Actually, hang on. During a discussion of Raab’s conduct, Ministry of Justice officials were told by Foreign Office counterparts that “people had died” in the Afghanistan evacuation because of Dom’s refusal to review documents in formats he didn’t like. Maybe we can split the difference and go with “people died, but not these people”?

Of the decision to give airport facilities for Pen Farthing’s pet rescue, Raab’s colleague Tom Tugendhat observed: “We’ve just used a lot of troops to get in 200 dogs; meanwhile my interpreter’s family are likely to be killed.”

As for Sunak’s personnel dilemma this week, it’s possible he couldn’t risk merely giving his valued political ally the proverbial slap on the wrist, lest it trigger a Raab countermove that would see Rishi promptly laid out on the rug, with a snarling justice secretary leaning three inches above his face, hissing: “train hard, fight easy.” “Train hard, fight easy” was Raab’s mantra for his 2019 Conservative leadership bid. I don’t need to remind you how that one turned out.

I love these little hardman (1) political incantations the guys think will be key to their political success, when 99 times out of 100 they’d do so much better just sticking with that old faithful: “Remember not to be a massive arse.”

(1) Raab is 5’9", so taller than Sunak (5’6") at least … :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Look I am no fan of Tories or Raab, but am I the only one to think this is a stitch up? It’s not like he had sex in a broom cupboard during lockdown with his advisor… It does feel that corruption is rife tbh. If someone falls out of favour whoever has the book of misdemeanors makes a decision to release their bad deeds to do away with them. It’s all getting a bit boring as to who is next. But who makes these decisions?