Two hundred birds fall dead from sky 'like rain' in mystery mass death

• How incredibly sad :frowning:
1 Like

Gosh that is just dreadful, so terribly sad.

2 Likes

It happened here in a park some years ago. They had a disease that went through the whole Starling flock & birds were dying all around the roost. The public were told not to touch them. I think it’s because they all flock together in roosts & easily infect each other.

3 Likes

That’s such a shame, Tiff. I think with this one, its toxic chemicals in the air. Birds are so fragile with their respiratory systems, it just takes one infection, like you say, or one breath of toxic air to make them ill. Its very sad.

3 Likes

Sad indeed … :frowning_face:

1 Like

Every year, some 2.6 million birds are shot or die after they are trapped in illegal nets, according to the Society for the Protection of Nature in Lebanon. Among them are endangered, vulnerable and near-threatened species.

Just happening all around the world…I was a shocked and speechless years ago when I read about this terrible trade off…

3 Likes

How awful, goodness knows what we are breathing in each day when you hear about something like that :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

2 Likes

I had a similar thing happen in my garden when I first bought this house over 40 years ago, I put baited grain in the roof to kill mice however it was also eaten by over a half dozen sparrows who promptly died on my lawn.

My wife at the time was not very pleased.

1 Like

I was thinking exactly the same, that it may be toxic chemicals in the air, such a shame.

1 Like

It’s awful I just dont know what’s happening anymore

1 Like

@DianneWoollie that is just unbelievably awful. Those poor birds dying an unimaginable death, stuck to a glue stick. How can people be that cruel? :cry:

This system where they put nets up to capture the birds has been going on for years in some Countries. They are firstly seen as money in the bank, then processed for food.etc.
It is not just Cats and Dogs some Countries eat…Take a step ‘out of line’ though as a human,as you would likely know,… and off with your hands…stoned to death…and of course a lot more…

A local forestry official dismantles illegal bird nets in Tianjin. A large collection of bird nets, used for poaching wild birds, where found on Oct 11th. Photo Visual China

It’s not surprising that some of our common garden birds are being driven to the brink of extinction when you read about what’s really happened in the past. This article is dated 2015 so what is stated must have contributed to this problem:

This article is from January 1, 2012. I have heard of this occasionally in the US, and this is just one time.

Here is another episode recently in September of 2020.

It is highly unusual, and not a normal occurrence. Makes me sad as I am a bird lover.