Tupperware shares plunge as it warns of possible collapse

But it lasts forever! When my Mum passed away and I had to clear her house, her pantry was full of Tupperware. All Used regularly and still in perfect condition. I estimated it was easily 50 years old.

2 Likes

If your Tupperware is old enough, it might even leach harmful chemicals and heavy metals like cadmium, lead, and arsenic into stored food. Suddenly those leftovers don’t sound very appetizing… Ziploc®-brand containers have a 5-10 year lifespan, and other plastic containers fall in a similar range.

1 Like

I have read that Ripple. However my Mum lived to 97 with no ill effects. :wink:

I’m not very keen on food directly touching food for a long time

So what I do is buy various size glass and Pyrex dishes that have lost their lids from the charity shops and use those for food storage with some of these silicone lids over them, they fit most sizes

1 Like

I had no idea that the Tupperware company was still going - I presumed it had closed down long ago.

I remember people of my parents’ generation having Tupperware and have heard about Tupperware parties but my friends and I never had Tupperware parties or were invited to any. I’ve never owned a piece of Tupperware.

When I got married in the mid 1970s, the local shops sold a variety of plastic food storage boxes which we called “Tupperware” but it wasn’t really the Tupperware brand.
I remember buying a few different sizes of storage boxes made by a company called Stewart - and I still have them and use them.

Considering Tupperware got its sales through a party-plan system, I’m not surprised sales are falling if they still rely on that system.
It may have appealed to “houswives” in the 1950s / 60s but I can’t imagine modern women being wowed by the thought of having a “Tupperware party” - when I was still working, my work colleagues might have hosted a brand name clothes party or an Anne Summers Party but I can’t imagine them hosting a party to sell plastic food storage boxes.

2 Likes

That’s such a good idea stretchy silicon lids

1 Like

wow 97 that’s amazing .
However old plastic containers do leach toxins.
They also can taint food .
I like Maree idea of glass containers.

Modern kitchen glassware is probably safe but “vintage” kitchen glassware probably isn’t.

This never got the acclaim it deserved :grin:

1 Like