Tupperware and Brownie Wise

I came across references to the ubiquitous plastic kitchenware in another thread - Do you secure the tab on the top of a cereal or food box? Why?

AFAIK, I have never had any (real) Tupperware but a few years ago I watched a documentary on Brownie Wise, the genius behind Tupperware’s success, a poorly-educated, divorced, single mother who became the first woman to appear on the cover of Bloomberg Businessweek before being pushed from the company by a jealous owner.

I was fascinated by the story of the woman who literally “empowered” other American women who had been forced to return to the kitchen sink when their husbands returned from World War II.

If you’re interested, American Experience - Tupperware! (PBS) (2004) is the documentary to look for.

Brownie Wise was ALWAYS elegant and was inspirational in encouraging other women to “better” themselves.

Sadly her success antagonised Earl Tupper and she was sacked with no benefits except a years pay. Brownie failed to find another outlet for her talent. Tupper went on to amass a massive fortune from her “party-plan” idea but erased all references to her in company literature.

An amazing woman … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My mother was a rep for Tupperware in the 60s/70s.Omah.
She loved it and earned pretty well.
I remember a record called the Tupperware brigade,it was great,mom had it and i played it so many times.
I was also one of mom`s customers.
You have bought back some lovely memories Omah,thank you !!.
She went onto do Pippa Dee which was clothing.,unsure if it was related to Tupperware.

1 Like

Brownie … always elegantly dressed, always selling … even in Hawaii:

Some of the ladies in the USA earned so much that they employed their husbands as the “help” - loading and driving the station-wagon then setting up “shop” so that they were fresh for the “party” (as Brownie always was).

1 Like

Here’s a YouTube copy:

1 Like

My mum had a lot of it, but she and Gran always used to groan when they got invited to another party because “you can’t get away without buying something”:scream:

I had quite a lot of Tupperware and still use a big white measuring jug with a lid - I think it was called a Mix and Store or something like that. great for batters, creams etc. I saw an immaculate one on a car boot sale and bought it because the colours on the measure had almost worn off mine.

I think I may have told the story on here before of my late Mum choosing a gold coloured tea trolley as her reward for hosting a very profitable Tupperware party. That was in the 1960s and when we had to clear her house in 2020 there it was a bit battered and leaning to one side but it had served her well as her “office” all those years. She kept her glasses, address books, newspapers, various remote controls, pens etc on it but I can’t ever remember her using it for teas!! :rofl::rofl:

When Brownie ran the parties in the USA, she brought in the 30% profit for the 20,000 sales force, which is why some became (the equivalent of) millionaires - her own salary was the equivalent of $275,000 a year - few men at the time earned that and no women.

She “branded” herself as well as the products - inspired by the colour ‘Tupperware Rose’, she wore mostly pink clothes and drove a pink convertible. All of the “hostesses” called her Brownie and wanted to be like her. Brownie would offer the (very expensive) dress off her back as the prize for best sales and the hostesses went all-out to get those sales and get that dress.

Quite incredible adulation for the 1950’s … :exclamation:

That is so interesting. I don’t have any of my original Tupperware but over the last few years have picked up quite a few pieces cheaply from charity shops.
Although they must be 40 or 50 years old they are as good as new and cost less than they would have done then.
Shows what an amazing product it was.

Helen - vintage Tupperware is now very collectable. It fetches amazing prices because hipsters like it in their camper vans.

Old pyrex (the decorated stuff) is also fetching good money. Most of the charity shops are wise to this. I saw a white pyrex casserole dish with blue patterns for £15.

1 Like

Even new “vintage” is expensive:

https://tupperwaredirect.co.uk/products/vintage-wonderlier-bowl-4-piece-set-1?gadid=&gclid=CjwKCAiA8OmdBhAgEiwAShr409lx0ScusBmCOOzhAkdO4NXGteeTjBy0OBW3inB3_kR_vHTcoNu59BoC4EIQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=17632182182&utm_content=&utm_medium=paid&utm_source=google&utm_term=&variant=41664808648860

“Old” vintage is available but does come with some health hazards:

Is There a Market for Vintage Tupperware?
There is a following of individuals interested in collecting vintage Tupperware. If you are planning on reselling your vintage Tupperware, keep in mind that single pieces, as well as complete sets typically don’t sell for hundreds of dollars. If you already own vintage Tupperware, and are interested in selling it off, chances are you’ll be able to find a buyer if your items are in good condition. Know that with collectible items, trends can heavily influence what makes for a “good” collectible purchase.

Rare and Valuable Vintage Tupperware
Tupperware with the “Tupper” mark tend to sell at a high price, as the insignia was not common for all products. Pink Tupperware, due to its tendency for fading, is another rare find that collectors may look for specifically. Keep in mind that white or crystal Tupperware tended to be the most common, so these may be easier for buyers to find.

What Tupperware is Worth Money?
Tupperware in complete sets and in good or unused condition tend to be worth the most money. Certain buyers may also be drawn to a color that is more challenging to find. Items that may be worth money:

• Full sets in the color pink
  • Full set salt and pepper shakers
  • Tupperware with the “Tupper” marking
  • Full sets in good condition in a color, not white
  • Tupperware that was in the Airstream

Vintage Tupperware Toxic
Vintage tupperware can be dangerous, with items testing positive for lead, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury. Especially because Tupperware were marketed to be microwave safe, toxicant leaching can be a serious issue with vintage items that may be worn out. It’s also important to note that Tupperware didn’t formally remove BPA from its products until 2010. BPA stands for Bisphenol A and exposure to it can lead to very serious health hazards.

1 Like

Thanks for that Omah. Interested in the final para about using old Tupperware. My first white lidded mixing jug must date from the 70’s and has been used almost daily since then. In and out of microwave and no health issues.

1 Like

You must have taken extremely good care of your Tupperware … :+1:

As this lady points out, constant use over time, without due care, will, inevitably, damage some Tupperware to the point where it’s a health hazard:

Her advice, though, is not to throw it away, since vintage Tupperware is not bio-degradable and contains traces of arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury - some may be recycled and much may be re-used for non-food purposes.

Thank you for that, I often see these in charity shops for a pound or two.
I suppose it’s if you can be bothered to do the buying and selling.

1 Like