Tory MPs plotting to get rid of Liz Truss as PM and replace her with Ben Wallace

Based on recent polls, Electoral Calculus today gave the Tories just 85 seats compared to Labour’s 471 if there was a vote now. Worried MPs see Mr Wallace, 52, as the Cabinet’s only competent minister.

Asked at the Tory conference earlier this month whether he would consider running for leader, Mr Wallace said: “I don’t rule it out.”

He was an early favourite in the contest to succeed Boris Johnson, but chose not to stand in July (1). If Ms Truss digs her heels in it will need a change in the rules to allow MPs to bypass 172,000 party members to install their candidate in No 10.

Sir Graham Brady will form a new 1922 executive on Tuesday after the departure of vice-chair Nusrat Ghani on becoming Ms Truss’s industry minister.

One plan is to increase the number of MP nominations a contender needs from 20 to more than 50% of the 356-strong Parliamentary party – ensuring there is only one name on the final ballot.

(1) Was that a “canny” decision … :wink:

The Boundary Commission for England will publish its new constituency map on November 8. Ben Wallace’s sprawling Wyre and Preston North constituency may be effectively abolished and its area carved up between five other seats. Has Ben got a plan … :thinking:

2 Likes

What a scurrilous and cynical suggestion @Omah .

More please :wink::joy:

2 Likes

I see the Mail on Sunday is pushing him to the fore. They pushed
Lizz Truss too…

If at first, you don’t succeed try, try, again… :wink:

2 Likes

At this time of year plotting is not a good word. The houses of parliament still searched.

3 Likes

Have they found anything useful yet?

1 Like

Useful for what? More of a custom now, not a serious security measure.

2 Likes

Useful in terms of running the country, 'cos there’s not been much of that in there lately.

3 Likes

Replace with Ben Wallace? Is this a ploy to scare Putin?

1 Like

Yep. It’s the receding hairline that’ll do it. We’ve have way too many pm’s with a full head of hair lately. No wonder Putin felt emboldened.

3 Likes

Hi
It is not that long ago that Liz Truss was appointed PM by paying members of the Conservative Party after a long and very public process.

She was chosen because she best embodied the aims of the Party.

I believe that she was a way to go before we see the worst of her, which is what she was voted in for.

I have voted Tory more often than not but that woman could
destroy the country, not just her party, I am now a floating
voter.

2 Likes

I have a plan. Truss crosses the floor to join the SNP and takes over from Sturgeon by Christmas, thus securing the union and ridding Scotland from any hope of independence.

Truss’s plan was sound. She should deselect Sunak, then deselect Gove, the treacherous bastards

Then fire Andrew Bailey - BoE Head asleep at the wheel and incompetent and then put her own man in - John Redwood would be my choice

Then, remind the media Hunt was responsible for why we were unprepared for a pandemic, why he loves the CCP and why he spent 6 years fucking up the NHS.

Fire Hunt

Install Badenoch as Chancellor

Repeat Kwartengs budget to the membership in the spring, re-appointing him as Defence Secretary (displacing remainer advisor to Johnson, Ben Wallace) and at the same time bringing in Ian Duncan Smith to take back Education (which he was brilliant at)

Then pull out of the Irish Protocol the TCA and the ECHR

If not, Farage (if he comes back) will clean up.

Oh, Bread, I do love your sense of humour, you had me
in stitches!
Screenshot 2022-10-16 190831

Ben Wallace was the guy who tried to persuade Boris to vote remain before the EU referendum.

Just saying …

Boris goes, Brexit goes … remember?

Oh what a wonderful mini budget… :joy:
Screenshot 2022-10-16 190715

1 Like

All things considered, I think that Truss could do with the death of another monarch to buy her some time

There has been some speculation that Ben Wallace, who has been the defence secretary since 2019, could replace Liz Truss as prime minister should she resign.

Wallace has now quashed those rumours.

Speaking to The Times, Wallace said he will be holding on to his current job.

That’s that, then … :neutral_face:

1 Like

I’d rather have Sunak, he warned about what she’d do but
the twonks who gave her the job didn’t want to hear.