Tory Leadership Election 2022 - Part 2 - Rishi Sunak - Winner

I don’t think that was the reason at all GhF…Truss put forward a very good manifesto and together with Kwasi I reckon it would have worked, and so did many party members who voted her in on the strength of it. However, the people who lend us the money overruled Truss and Kwasi and look what happened to both of them. The power of the lenders and media is infinite. And you thought the PM runs the country… :grin:

1 Like

Okay OGF, I think we get the message…
:roll_eyes:

… but this is the wrong thread for discussing the departed … :man_shrugging:

Her only hope would be to rely on the predominantly racist factions within the membership who weren’t going to allow sunak the keys to the door. Which would say something about her as well, IMHO.

1 Like

Free money had to end, you can’t keep printing it, no one make anything from it.

Sunak is PM, Mordant dropped out at the last minute.

Penny Mordaunt drops out of Tory leadership race and backs Sunak

Rishi Sunak set to become prime minister

Seven weeks after losing to Liz Truss in this year’s first Tory leadership contest, Rishi Sunak has emerged victor in this one.

He is set become the UK’s first British Asian prime minister, and will take office as the UK faces enormous economic challenges.

2-30 pm he (Sunak) gives a talk, got to see the King before he becomes PM.

What, Elvis?

1 Like

Next PM to address MPs at 14:30

Announcing there was just one person with the backing of 100 MPs, 1922 Committee chairman Sir Graham Brady confirmed the new Tory leader Rishi Sunak will address MPs at 14:30 BST.

Surprise, surprise … not … :grin:

Yep, he’ll ask to love me tender.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Membership rejected Sunak.

Sunak likely to be formally made PM tomorrow

Charlie is not in London at the moment,

NEW
Posted at 14:1314:13
Sunak likely to be formally made PM tomorrow

Nick Eardley

Chief political correspondent

We wait for confirmation, but I’d expect Rishi Sunak to formally become prime minister tomorrow.

By the time logistics are sorted it’s unlikely to happen today.

Article share tools

ShareView more share options
Copy this link

Read more about these links.

September’s loser becomes October’s winner

Chris Mason

Political editor

What an incredible moment.

Literally at the last minute, as we were approaching 14:00 - the point where the window was about to slam shut to any Conservative wannabe to assemble 100 nominations to stand for the leadership - there was confirmation from Penny Mordant.

She said she had listened to those inside her party, including those who had been supporting her, and would withdraw from the contest in the interests of certainty and stability.

Rishi Sunak was the only candidate to have cleared the threshold and wanted to continue.

There will now be a conversation about the choreography - something we’re becoming rather familiar with this autumn.

September’s loser has become October’s winner. Rishi Sunak is becoming prime minister.

Related:

Pound rises slightly after Mordaunt pulls out

The pound and British government bond prices rose slightly on news of Penny Mordaunt’s withdrawal - which meant Rishi Sunak would be the next prime minister.

Against the dollar, the pound rose slightly by 0.15%

He’s done the easy bit, he now has to form a cabinet and hold them all together .

Mordaunt affirms support for Sunak as next PM

Penny Mordaunt walks into the 1922 committee of backbench MPs, which Rishi Sunak is about to address, saying she is “good” and “going to support the new PM.”

She entered the room to a rapturous banging of fists on desks — which in Tory MP tradition is a round of applause.

Sunak begins addressing MPs

Rishi Sunak has just gone in to a room of backbench Tory MPs, accompanied by some of his loyal backers.

He is receiving a rapturous round of applause and banging of fists on desks by Tory MPs in the room.