Tory Leadership Election 2022 - Part 2 - Rishi Sunak - Winner

Fair enough Omah…

Who says they took a wrecking ball to our economy? It didn’t have time to take effect, and it wasn’t all that different from what was already in place. I suspect that the media poisoned the idea before it got off the ground and everyone sucked it up like they always do.
And it remains to be seen if Sunak turns out to be honest once the media get their teeth into him. Unless he doesn’t do anything bold and plays it safe. In that case, nothing ventured etc…

Rishi Sunak has become the new UK prime minister after meeting King Charles at Buckingham Palace

In his first speech, at the lectern outside Downing Street, he says the UK is facing a “profound economic crisis” and that he has been chosen as the new Tory leader to fix some of Liz Truss’s mistakes

“Trust is earned, and I will earn yours,” he tells the public from outside No 10 Downing Street

The address was 6 minutes long and will, no doubt, be analysed by experts.

ETA

Rishi Sunak’s first speech as PM lasted almost six minutes - five minutes and 56 seconds, to be precise - which is longer than all the equivalent speeches by incoming PMs in recent decades, except for Boris Johnson in 2019, who spoke for 11 minutes and 13 seconds.

Truss’s inaugural speech on 6 September lasted just over four minutes.

1 Like

He’s got a very low bar created by his 2 predecessors to get over in terms of trust and credibility

1 Like

Indeed … so:

No parties

No freebies

No chumocracy

No lying

Etc.

1 Like

You’d think he was the next messiah with the way everyone is fawning over him…
:pray:

1 Like

All eggs in one final basket.

Even now though, some of the membership have started complaining.

1 Like

I hope he is not just a very naughty boy

He has got to be better than the last two, I thought nobody could be worse than Johnson then along came Truss and proved me wrong.

1 Like

When the BBC started having comments about Sunak’s appointment from someone in Delhi, I raised my eyebrow somewhat and was concerned how this might play into the hands of racists, especially since the counterargument so far has been that he was born in the UK.

On reflection though, I suspect the name of the game is to use his skin colour (sorry to be so blunt!!) to our advantage, in that we have a man from the global community running the shop, ready to work and forge relationships (business, diplomatic etc) in a manner that hasn’t the UK’s traditional little Englander outlook. Potentially useful given that we are trying to develop non EU marketplace deals.

2 Likes

Media have dubbed PM sensible Sunak.
President Biden ‘Rashid Sanook’: poor man got it muddled but everyone knew what he meant and applauded, loudly.

1 Like

you don’t think he’s been handed a poisoned chalice then?

He wasn’t press ganged into the job.

1 Like

well we’ve seen to supposed winners already and look what happened to them maybe third time unlucky heh?

Dreading a Labour government. PM question time should be a little more ‘normal’.

@gumbud pray that PM will be a blessing in disguise, if he has
been set up then the Conservative party will be destroyed.

@OldGreyFox The photograph of the King first meeting him looked like they at least will be able to have meaningful audiences.

2 Likes

Apparently Rishi did rather well in the house today…Perhaps I’ve read him wrong Cinders…
:thinking:

1 Like

Form over function, we just need creditable function to prove either way.

1 Like