Todays' birds on the Serpentine River

Pied Stilt - The Pied Stilt is a sociable shorebird always travelling with other shorebird.
Long, skinny legs, long, narrow bill used for probing into the sediment for it’s meals.
They prefer shallow open freshwater areas, and can be found in most wetland areas, including seawater lagoons and swamps.
They can be found throughout Australia and beyond with populations in New Zealand, Indonesia, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Malaysia, Philippines and Brunei.

Great Egret
All feathers on Great Egrets are white. Their bills are yellowish-orange, and the legs black.
The Great Egret is the tallest egret with a very long “s” shaped neck.
Neck length is one and a half times that of the body length.
In flight, the long neck is tucked in and the legs extend far beyond the tip of the short tail.
The Great Egret feeds in shallow water or drier habitats, feeding mainly on fish, frogs, small mammals, and occasionally small reptiles and insects, spearing them with its long, sharp bill most of the time by standing still and allowing the prey to come within its striking distance of its bill which it uses as a spear.
It will often wait motionless for prey, or slowly stalk its victim.

Female Grey Shrike Thrush
A melodious Songbird found throughout Australia except desert regions.
It has an extraordinary gift for ringing melody, unmatched by any other Australasian species save perhaps the lyrebird.
The Grey Shrike-thrush searches for food on the ground, generally around fallen logs, and on the limbs and trunks of trees.
It has a varied diet consisting of insects, spiders, small mammals, frogs and lizards, and birds’ eggs and young, and some birds have been observed feeding on carrion. Fruits and seeds may also be eaten on occasion.

Pacific Black Duck Mother and brood
The Pacific Black Duck is one of the most versatile of the Australian ducks.
It frequents all types of water, from isolated forest pools to tidal mudflats.
Pacific Black Ducks are usually seen in pairs or small flocks and readily mix with other ducks. In the wild, birds are often very wary of humans and seldom allow close approach.
The Pacific Black Duck is mainly vegetarian, feeding on seeds of aquatic plants. This diet is supplemented with small crustaceans, molluscs and aquatic insects.
Food is obtained by ‘dabbling’, where the bird plunges its head and neck underwater and upends, raising its rear end vertically out of the water.

Osprey having a feed
The osprey is a fish-eating bird of prey.
It is a large raptor, reaching more than 60 cm (24 in) in length and 180 cm (71 in) across the wings.
The osprey and owls are the only raptors whose outer toe is reversible, allowing them to grasp their prey with two toes in front and two behind. This is particularly helpful when they grab slippery fish.
The osprey is the second most widely distributed raptor species, after the peregrine falcon, and is one of only six land-birds with a worldwide distribution.
Ospreys have vision that is well adapted to detecting underwater objects from the air. Prey is first sighted when the osprey is 10–40 m (33–131 ft) above the water, after which the bird hovers momentarily and then plunges feet first into the water.
They catch fish by diving into a body of water, oftentimes completely submerging their entire bodies.
As an osprey dives it adjusts the angle of its flight to account for the distortion of the fish’s image caused by refraction.
Ospreys will typically eat on a nearby perch but have also been known to carry fish for longer distances.

6 Likes

We sometimes get Great Egrets here in the UK & we have Ospreys nesting too, but not where I live. I have seen them, they migrate.

1 Like

I often see a little snowy Egret … gorgeous.

1 Like

:astonished: Did you take these photographs yourself Bretrick?

1 Like

Yes I did. I was at the Serpentine River for a couple of hours.

Wow they’re spectacular shots. I salute you Sir :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thank you.
Here is one you have not seen
Family of Red Tailed Black Cockatoos - Mum on the Left, Daughter in the middle which leaves Dad on the right

3 Likes

Fantastic :sunglasses::clap::clap:
It must take hours waiting to get the right shot, you’ve got a really good eye for photography.

1 Like

Sometimes it takes hours. This one of a Splendid Fairy Wren took me two and a half hours waiting patiently.

4 Likes

What a stunning bird, :heart_eyes: I’ve never seen any plumage like that before. I’m guessing you live in a very rural area of Australia?

This one - A pair of “Married” Corellas was a matter of waiting for the exact perfect picture. Maybe half an hour for this one.

4 Likes

The closest thing I’ve seen to that in the UK is a Great Tit or a Blue tit.

2 Likes

This is the male Fairy Wren breeding season plumage. Out of season it is a dull grey.
I live in a city of 2 million. I travel out to get plenty of bird/animal pictures.

2 Likes

Stunning :sunglasses: I really must to make the effort to visit Oz one day.

1 Like

@Bretrick, what patience you have to wait for these birds to light and be still!
I am a huge admirer of any bird pics, and to watch them near me here at home, well, their trills makes me smile, too! Birds a treat in nature.

1 Like

I admire your patience @Bretrick I see Fairy Wrens a lot (in fact a lot of Finches) on my walks but they are there then gone, you hardly have time to see them never mind photograph them.

1 Like

When I love something as much as I love our native animals then even waiting for “that perfect Photo” is a pleasure.

Being at one with nature, enjoying the ambience, the stillness, the solitude is reward in itself.
Interacting with our critters is a bonus I look forward to every time I venture into the Aussie bush.

2 Likes

What a stunning photo.

Here is the uk wren, not as colourful but still a beautiful tiny song bird
I didn’t take this photo

Beautiful little wren. :smiley: