Time to Leave the Special Relationship?

I don’t think so… Trump received the largest vote ever for a sitting President. Biden only won because of postal votes and fraud.

The special relationship ended with Reagan and Thatcher in my opinion.

If there ever was one!

I believe that’s the case too, though of course I can’t prove it.
On the other hand, the American people must have seen and heard Biden electioneering prior to their vote and surely must have realised what sort of person he is.

Some have tried to explain that the majority vote went to Biden because most people were fed up with Trump, but I have read otherwise and that he was appreciated for putting America first.

Anyway, I understand that moves are afoot to check up on postal votes. The same thing has, apparently, been happening in the UK as well, so I can well understand it if illegal practices have taken place.

One thing is certain, and that is that we should seriously remove postal voting in this country unless voters can prove beyond doubt that they cannot attend the polling station in person with evidence of their identity. That should, in my opinion, also involve the introduction of personal ID. Anyone who disagrees with it must be suspected of having some underhand reason for doing so.

Hi

Not very good at replying to specific posts, particularly when on a mobile.

Surfermon, you misunderstood my post, my fault, notb uours.

\You have the same first past the post system that we have here in the Uk.

We elect idiots as well.

Apologies, swimmy

I doubt if we will ever leave the special relationship - we have special sites situated in Oz off limits to all - they are bases of some kind usa bases that is and we have an american abassador here too. the usa also has military ships patrolling the south china seas in support of its allies in Taiwan ; Philippines ; South Korea and don’t China know it and not like it too! I little skirmish in Afghanistan is nothing - none of us should have been there in the first place. No imo our special relationship will last forever even if we don’t always agree about things and speak different types of english!

Would we still have a ‘happy’ relation with those Middle Eastern countries if we stopped them selling arms and ammunition so that they can continue kicking hell out of each other ?
By the way Dachs. I served in the British army towards the end of WW2 and I can assure you the British Army Air Force or Navy never retreat as you said we did from Dunkirk. We may witdraw for a time but never retreat. We may only have a small number of armed forces but we still have one hell of a bite.

1 Like

You’re probably perfectly correct as far as we’re concerned too. To be perfectly honest, retaining American bases in the UK offers some protection from attack by a future enemy, though I’d refer again to what I have said before that I believe Russia has no real intention of attacking us.
Yes, we hear reports every other day that Russian ‘Bears’ are flying near our coast, but they are doing exactly the same as we have always done: testing reactions.
The one problem at the moment is that the Yanks’ new president isn’t doing a great deal to ensure the continuation of our ‘special relationship’! Trump was better at it, thank you.

Personally, I’d prefer not to have any relationship - happy or not - with those Middle Eastern countries. Apart from oil, which is becoming less and less important now according to our ‘greenies’, they have nothing that I want anyway.
Yes, sell them arms as much as we want, on the one provision that we leave them to kicking hell out of each other and have nothing more to do with them.
That’s what they do anyway. Better they do it in their own countries rather than in ours!

Yes, sadly we now have very few armed forces, but that doesn’t matter too much if we can persuade our glorious leaders to keep their noses out of everybody else’s business.
We are in no position now to pretend to be the world’s policeman. Leave that to America.
Our remaining armed forces, such as they are, should be maintained at a level sufficient only to protect our own little island and also our very few remaining overseas territories, such as Gibraltar and the Falklands.
I should like to add that I believe that, man for man, our armed forces are probably better than any others anywhere in respect of training, abilities and determination.

I was reading, last week, of the massive mineral deposits under the Afghans!

They are massive & diverse.

Explains a lot, really!

Just like the oil!

I suppose the question is, do we need them?
Other questions arise too:
Can we afford them?
Are they worth us risking our lives?
Will China get them first? :scream:

If everyone in the world has to get an electric car, in the next 20 years, to preserve the planet, I think that where the Lithium, etc, minerals are will change a lot of thinking.

Vote Taliban!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh, that’s just another of Boris’s pipedreams, presumably to please Carrie!
I believe it is unworkable. I can’t prove that, but if you wait for another 20 years I think you’ll see I am right!

Damn, I’ll have to sell my Battery Shares!

Will my Hydrogen Boiler shares be worth keeping?

:sweat_drops: :sweat_drops: :sweat_drops:

I don’t think that the US thought this through fully at all. I think that Biden wanted the brownie points for getting our troops out of Afghanistan, and to hell with the consequences. We put more thought and effort into evacuating Saigon, than we did here. We didn’t just leave the Brits in the lurch, we left everyone there.

To my simple mind [ no no aspersions please!] the world seems to be divided into different layers:

1.layers of religion - loose christianities ; hard and soft Isalmics ; communists and the others?

1. the haves and the havenots - which overlap the above layers sometimes

2. the oppressed and the non-oppressed

and to balance out these layers seems impossible as one side doesn’t want to concede to the other - where do YOU prefer to be?

Obvious the USA were going to leave us in the lerch, they only wanted to use us as a back door into the European market. Now that door is shut because we left the EU they don’t want to know

It sorta reminds me of the ‘gangs’ we used to belong to as youth - yes we were in the same ‘gang’ overall but within that gang there were loose alliances and mateships that split off sometimes did their own thing and then re-grouped - samething heh?

1 Like

It was by chance that I saw my name mentioned in your post because you didn’t put an @ right before my user name to inform me. So , I’m not sure if you wanted to address me directly.
Anyway, it’s understandable that you as someone being directly involved in military actions at the time want to uphold the “Spirit of Dunkirk” and, thus, your personal view of what was happening and of how it should be seen. I’m sure you are aware, however, that Dunkirk is one of a couple of other controversially discussed events related to WW II which are subject to interpretation.
You base your interpretation on the common line “I’m not retreating, this is…a strategic withdrawal!” and posit that I had used the word “retreat” which I haven’t. I talked about a “defeat”.
And a military defeat it essentially was. More precisely, not the Operation Dynamo as such was a defeat but what led to it was, which Churchill called a “colossal military disaster”. Both belong together and can’t be considered in isolation.
Yet it also was a victory for the morale and the national identity of the British people.

On a matter of fact. America did not declare war on Nazi Germany. It was Hitler who declared war on the USA. He was thrilled about Pearl Harbour and didn’t want to left out in the destruction of Uncle Sam.

1 Like