Time to Leave the Special Relationship?

Such a sensitive little flower. Where was the belittling?

A foreigner who’s nation faught for Britain in two world wars and a nation rewarded with indifference and lies by Churchill.

I merely pointed out that the USA was the best friend the UK ever had in WWII. If there was any belittling it was from your countrymen toward them whinging about the enormous gifts in the form of food and armaments that they showered on you from 1941 onward. Still even 80 years later it is unappreciated.So sad

1 Like

Perhaps the belittling is in the attitude? You seem to be aggrieved that Australia wasn’t included the praise and (misplaced) gratitude shown towards the US for providing - paid for - supplies to the UK. Besides which all that would have been part of the political commentary at that time - there’s certainly no gratitude left for the US today. What would have happened if OZ hadn’t joined the Allies? I don’t think ANY nation took part in WWII without fearing for themselves if Nazi Germany won the war in Europe…and that includes Australia. I also think a demand for gratitude 80 years later is somewhat misplaced particularly when interspersed with grievances and criticism.

2 Likes

WWII was a war like no other - it was a war started by a meglamaniac called Hitler who wanted to rule the whole of europe - russia - england and was in league with japan too who were invading the middle east - it was a war to end all wars perhaps - England could never go it alone and should never go it alone - we all were fighting evil let’s face it. NZ and OZ still felt strong allegiances with the mother country - America less so but eventually was persuaded and of course Russia needed to fight as it itself had been invaded - unholy alliances and truces all around and democracy won and the evil that was Hitler and his cronies was dispersed for ever.

Today Nz and Oz are as close as even the Anzac spirit - we have american bases on our soil in oz and our alliance is still strong - China is an unruly companion in the Southern seas and needs careful watching and reminding that Oz does not stand alone ever. - Special relationship - we need it more than ever before imo!

I think China is gearing up for some major event…nuclear? Probably. They have no humane conscience. Will it start in the Southern seas or is that a diversion?
We need to stop financing China - which we all do by buying their goods. It’s sadly become almost impossible to buy home manufactured goods but we could at least try.

1 Like

has anyone heard of the Belt and Road initiative mega plan to build a new ‘silk road’ built by the chinese and running through many countries that have been persuaded to give up the right of ownership of the road running through their country and any resources and building associated with it. If you remember the invasions of old when Rome invaded many countries including Britain well this is the new invasion strategy under the guise of trade!

the belt and road initiative

this is a massive trade route built by China and crossing continents and countries and it is all about trade but also control - it is the new style of empire building. In Australia China had already leased Darwin Harbour to use as its own as as part of the plan. The current govt has rescinded the deal just in the nick of time

China and India will be the world’s two major superpowers well before the end of this century, barring unforeseen events of course.
I started a thread in the old forum discussing the threat posed by China but sadly it seems that not many appreciate the very real threat they pose to the entire Western world.

2 Likes

agreed they have become real bullies in the South China Sea arena - stealing small islands and building bases on them - they intimidate smaller ships and even take on USA warships in a bravado display. Of course the believe Taiwan is Chinese territory anyway and are really sworn enemies of the Japanese. That’s why it is so crucial that USA presence remains in this part of the world aided and abetted by USA and the West. Zaphod can you not transfer some of your material to this thread perhaps?

It is true that America has taken on the role of ‘world policeman’, but why?

Is it because, being the most powerful country in the world it feels obliged to help others against those countries which appear to be expansionist and threatening (naming no names)?

Or is it because the Americans realise that if one or more of those expansionist countries continues to expand they may eventually threaten America’s homeland?

Answers and opinions on a postcard please (must bear a pre-paid stamp).

I haven’t heard of them taking over any of our ports… yet, but they are building a nuclear power station of course, along with the Frogs. Could this be a new political alliance?
I believe that the French have been trying to rule Europe (and us), via the EU, for quite a long time now, but have not met with too much success. Perhaps they’re looking into alternative schemes.

Not correct ,Darwin Harbour is still leased (but is under review) however the Belt and Roads Initiative agreement entered into by Victoria has been vetoed by the Federal government as not being in the national interest.

1 Like

They did in Greece, though, by purchasing a majority stake in the ancient port of Piraeus which is Europe’s seventh largest and strategically located harbour between the Asian and European continents. It’s also part of the maritime silk route which complements the commercial route over land and stretches from China via Malaysia, Sri Lanka, the Maldives, the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, along which a number of naval bases and commercial ports are being built.
Tensions have been increasing especially in the South China Sea. Maybe that’s the first region where China will have to use military force to protect its interests. China is both repressive but, in contrast to the former Soviet Union economically strong and is using a plethora of technical means to police its citizens. Its leaders do not have to bother about democratic elections.
What the West as a whole doesn’t seem to have fully realised is perhaps that China’s rise is a long-term-project. Western countries are more concerned with day-to-day political scandals, all kinds of exposès and embarrassments which prevents them from appreciating the goal shift of power that China brings about. China’s challenge is of a different nature. Since there is less saber-rattling and, so far, almost no military conflict that China is involved in, this challenge is harder to notice. On the contrary, China is, in fact, another free rider of the Pax Americana profiting from today’s world as it is and, thus, is quite unlikely to change it for the time being. It greatly benefits from the fact that ocean routes are being safeguarded by the US Navy. China’s economic success has been made possible because China is a member of the WTO and utilises all facilities and regulations. China is kind of low key when it comes to political alignments and has been on a good footing with both or all sides involved in a conflict in various regions of the world.
Essentially, in contrast to other super powers, China’s impact is based on sheer size both in terms of population and economic power. That’s how it is changing the world also profiting from the US withdrawing from certain spots and regions. Western countries, especially European, want to trade with China while only having short-term gains and profits in mind which will backfire. It will be for the next generation to try and pick up the pieces when it will probably be too late anyway.

Maybe I will but TBH there wasn’t much interest last time I tried.

Hi

I started the thread as a genuine discussion to reflect on what is happening now, not only with Biden, but also with Trump.

It is quite understandable that the USA wishes to draw back from NATO, they have giving mainland Europe defensive cower for years and France, Germany etc have not been paying their way.

Both Presidents have a troops home policy.

It was not intended to be USA bashing thread.

Yes we paid America for stuff, but they fed us, built the ships which supplied us when we could not and we certainly could not have invaded Europe without their help.

The UK did not win WW2 on its own, we relied on the USA in western Europe and the Russians in the east, the Russians suffered far more than we did and inflicted far more damage on Germany than we did.

Australia and New Zealand did wonders against the Japanese and recaptured IK Territory we had lost to them, securing vital supplies for us.

We are on differing paths now, my logic is that we should take a pragmatic view and look after ourselves.

1 Like

The special relationship is between the USA and British people. The two governments no longer have any special relationship, the end of it coincided with the end of the Reagan and Thatcher years.

Biden has made the USA untrustworthy to its allies and humiliated Johnson. This would never have happened under Trump.

Biden is a disaster - the biggest in USA history.

Believe it or not, I have just been listening to a report on GBNews which said exactly the same thing. It especially pointed out that O’Biden was far more interested in N.I. getting out of the UK and rejoining Ireland.
He’s just caused an absolute disaster for the people of Afghanistan. Now, given half a chance, he’d like to do the same to the people of N.I. - Catlicks and Proddy Dogs fighting and killing each other again.
We should keep out of this and invite O’Biden to send in some of his own troops to keep the peace among his own ‘favoured people’.

What do we expect from the guy who helped fund the IRA through Noraid.

1 Like

Time to Leave the Special Relationship?

Sorry I didn’t realise this was about politics. My bad! I’ve decided to delete what is written about. My search of topics went wonky. Again sorry, I don’t touch politics.

Have a good night!

Politics touch you though.

Hi Supernatural thanks for resurrecting the topic .
I’ve just read through it for the first time .
It’s a good read .

1 Like

Riots in NI.

Biden visiting.

(4) ‘Joe Biden hates the UK, there’s no doubt about that’ | Dame Arlene Foster - YouTube