Time lapse photography

I have never done time lapse photography before mainly because the setup with nikon in the menu takes a bit of working out. With the Lumix and the Sony camcorder focused on that flower both are far easier to program.
I noticed the other day this flower head closes up in the evening so I thought lets have a go doing timelapse.
No I have absolutely any idea on how many seconds between each shot or how long to keep the cameras on for before the time settings finish. So its down to trial and error. Most time lapse I have seen on youtube is moving traffic which getting the setting right doesn’t matter so much as retakes can be dome at any time
So i have set both cameras to take a photo at different intervals and from there be able to judge which number of seconds works better
For me no, dive in the deep end and trust to nature :roll_eyes:
At the moment the cameras are as they say rolling so have no idea what to do next . At least i did remeber to use fully charged batteries

If it works out ok then yes I will post if a failure will have to try again on another evening. Wish me luck :pray:

1 Like

well it tok a good few hours and hundreds of photos.Unfortunately the amount of flower head movement was not really enough to warrant posting the time lapse on it. At least I know now that to do better it needs a lot of motion to get anything decent

1 Like

I love those sunset time-lapse videos. Looking forward to seeing the flowers video.

Surely you can work it out.

You know the frame rate, say 30fps you know how long you want the video to be, say 1 minute for a flower to close up

I minute of video is 1800 frames. say it takes 3 hours for the flower to close

3 x 60 x 60 = 10800 seconds divided by 1800 frames = one frame every 6 seconds.

It really is just simple maths

Bruce

this is what I was attempting

and only managed this for very small petal movement closing

You would not think it took about 2/3 hours to capture and the same again to make it look like a short video , Jerky because the flower was moving in the wind a bit

1 Like

That is such a pretty flower, RS! Good for you in learning about this…I doubt I would have the patience to be honest.

And the calculations…Bruce, very good!

Once set up as in the photo there is nothing else to do. I just left it there taking a shot every so many seconds . Admittedly I did check to see if the flower was closing several times .
What amazes me is being able to speed things up and see what the eye miss.

Can I ask roughly what time you did this? As you pointed out, flower close up towards the evening, so I was wondering if you were able to approximate the time of closing up, you might get more movement within your time scale? ( I know its difficult because it depends on weather, light etc)

No harm in asking :wink: no joking apart never having done anything like this before I started the process mid afternoon. Not the actual photographing but finding out how to with the cameras as I didn’t want to rush to find out at the last minuite.
Think I set up about 4.30pm or 5pm roughly.
Setting up involved getting the tripods on position and fitting the cameras on. Next was lining up the shots and getting everything in focus ,this took a bit of time. then with the cameras preset from the mid afternoon all I had to do was start the timelapse
My Nikon camera I just could not fathom out the time lapse settings so never attempted it before

As for time scale the cameras were on for about 2/3 hours until it got too dark. In editing I can even out to light situation somewhat so it doesn’t show in that clip, which is made up of several hundred individual frames.
Editing was a nightmare. clipping out unwanted start/finish- rendering- time remapping- saving, then doing it all again several times and finally re-videoing the final one. It is the only way i know how to with this editing suite
I used the two cameras at different time shot intervals as it was a once only then ,no retakes