Time for a new computer

yes my existing computer is throwing up a couple of issues and the technology has moved on since april 2012 when Ben my son built it for me. 10 years in constant daily use has served me well. So we have just been looking at building a new one and cannibalising the old to a certain extent, such as saving the graphics card and power unit which were updated anyway. fedw things I would have liked to keep, ie the cd/dvd unit ,but that is now old hat as they say and don’t do any more or hard to find a computer case that will accommodate. Also will get windows 11 at the same time.

I think the days of building your own computer economically are long past. Have to look at some of the manufacturer sites and you will find what you want. Every model is offered with a choice of different processors, memory HDD/SSD, graphics etc If you want to use your graphics card buy one without and install it yourself.

It’s doubtful you could buy the components cheaper and it all comes with a warranty. If you want one with high spec graphics have a look at the gamer’s computers.

Bruce
I get where your coming from but it is all too easy to buy a pre built computer, as you say I might find the one I want.The problem with that is first of all often there are the cheapest components installed to maximise profit and also having to pay for the build,this adds to the cost. If that is how people want to buy then fair enough but I am a little bit more particular.
Building ones owns such as this one I am on now I now that if I want to upgrade a component ,which I have done several times with this one I know how to do it and not breach any warranty of the whole computer.
You may be surprised how the price of the same component varies from where you get it from, let alone knowing I am getting the best within budget.
Why should I buy a prebuild when I already have a 750W power unit which can handle load with spare capacity and and a good graphics card capable of handling videos and have HDD and SSD cards ,so saving well over £300 PLus a seperate sound xonar card. Also loads of cables and bits and pieces so saving there as well
So why get new when the old one still works you may ask?
Being this old the motherboard can’t handle windows 11 and the case front keeps falling off are the most obvious things already mentioned such as start up issues to do with the CPU cooling fan unit ( ok replacement is is about £30 but might be something else) as shown in the above photos. 10.5 years of continuous daily use aint bad this this self build one.
So Bruce to get an “off the shelf” computer with the same spec if possible would definately cost several hundred pounds more
This is what we are considering getting

1= [be quiet! Pure Base 600, Black, Mid Tower Computer Chassis, 140/120mm Fans, USB 3.0, ATX/Micro-ATX/Mini-ITX]

2_Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler, 1x 120mm NF-F12 PWM Fan, Copper Base/Heatsink, Aluminium Fins, AM4

3= 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-28800 (3600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 18-22-22-42, 1.35V

4=[Windows 11 Home Edition, 64-bit, English International, USB

5=ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WI-FI II, AMD B550, AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA3, Dual M.2, 2.5GbE, 2x2 Wi-Fi 6E/BT5.2, ATX

6 =AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X, AM4, Zen 3, 8 Core, 16 Thread, 3.8GHz, 4.7GHz Turbo, 36MB Cache, PCIe 4.0, 105W, CPU

7=1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4), NVMe SSD, MLC V-NAND, 3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write, 600k/550k IOPS]

Of course the final components may differ but this is the first consideration
All just comes within budget plus components from old computer. These with my one computer parts if prebuilt would be well out of my price bracket., a far higher spec than this one

My son Ben is ordering the above from scan computers now . Will now dobbt see a difference when it is all set up

looks as if tomorrow or shortly after I will be away due to getting a new computer and then having to rebuild all the apps onto it. May take a couple of days or more so don’t think I have gone just a short break then see you all again on the other side

5 Likes

looks as if tomorrow or shortly after I will be away due to getting a new computer and then having to rebuild all the apps onto it. May take a couple of days or more so don’t think I have gone just a short break then see you all again on the other side

5 Likes