Thinking of getting a Kindle/e-reader

If the books you read are just text, the Kindles are excellent! If they rely on diagrams or pictures… you may want to consider an iPad (especially if you also need to click on links/look things up etc). If you want the best screen, consider an iPad Pro.

There are other pros n cons. Kindle battery lasts ages and are better in direct sunlight/outdoors. iPads can be used for more than just reading… etc.

I’m quite happy with my phone and a library book at the moment. But will come back to this thread if I change my mind.

1 Like

I read using an Ipad, but you can’t order any books using the app, they are only available if you have a kindle to start with.

1 Like

Fully agree, plus the kindle is lighter than most tablet computers - so easier to hold in a reading position. The battery life is a real benefit too.
I remember when me and the other half would be packing our car boot for a couple of weeks holiday. We would pack at least 15 books between the two of us. Now there is an entire library on one small device. Plus, as we both use kindle (paperwhite for me, app on i-pad for her) we can share each other’s books.
But I dislike Bezos and Amazon. I’m using their product under sufferance. How can a forty or fifty year old book cost £4? The long dead author’s family will get a few pence, the distribution cost is less than pennies. Why doesn’t a book like that have a price more like 50 pence? Rip off.

1 Like

Let us know what you end up with if you get one :023:

You can… just through the normal Amazon site? Plus you don’t have to buy from Amazon, most non-DRM files will work and even the DRM ones may have an app. The standard format now is ePub (that’s wha all my books are in, not sure what amazon uses now tho but they do have a Kindle app).

Yeah I love how light they are and the battery life. Definitely the best for non-technical reading or books with no images/graphics/code etc

There can also be strange anomalies in copyright for example George Orwell was available as free epub books in Australia while still in copyright in the UK

The Gutenburg Project is a great resource for free ebooks as are some Unis