Thinking of getting a Kindle/e-reader

Thanks guys.

I’m now thinking: forget the reader, go down the e-book app route. And read free books including those available from local libraries. Hmmm

Forgot to say … on my phone.

1 Like

Kobo still make eReaders I think.

Samsung do a 7" tablet which is a convenient size as an eReader, I have one, it is “A” model which, like their phones, is the cheaper version of the “S” model but more than adequate for most purposes - actually I have never used it as an eReader because I have the Sony.

If that is all you want to use it for there are heaps of cheap tablets from places like Amazon as an eReader speed is not an issue I wouldn’t have thought.

1 Like

I am converted to e reading.

but I dont have a dedicated reader like a kindle - I just use app on my tablet.

I can buy books on this and I also borrow ebooks from the library.

It might be worth mentioning which app you use and why you chose it over others.

at the moment I have a samsung tablet - previously e- read on an ipad - and I am using the app Cool Reader.

There are umprteen apps all of which are similar and readily available through play store or i store - I find Cool Reader user friendly
I buy books through Play Store on Samsung.

2 Likes

Yep, that is why it is interesting to read why a particular one is used by someone. I did try them years ago when my first eReader packed it in, as you say they are similar but they all had quirks to distinguish them from each other. In fact they are part of the reason I bought the Sony because I could not find one as good as the software on the eReader (together with the fact that Sony was giving up and sold their stock off with lots of specials).

My Sony is a decade old now but seems to be going well, the battery lasts for ages, I think I charge it about 3 times a year. Unlike my Samsung 7" tablet where the battery is lucky to last a day.

1 Like

Hmmm … my phone seems to do the trick … really not sure I need a reader.

So I chatted to a nice lady at my local library, she gave me three names:

Libby, BorrowBox, MyLibrary

Apps to install, I’ve now got a book on hold at one and I’ve downloaded a book from another, childs play. You need to be a resident, they’ve got books from a couple of hundred libraries in London. Not sure why it’s geographic: I guess it’s funded by the council tax payer. For some reason I feel happier doing it this way, not being tied to Amazon.

I use Libby for borrowed books - I think our library only uses Libby.

So, for me., borrowed books are on different app to bought books.

I have to belong to any library in South Australia to access library books via the state’s library.

I can borrow up to 10 books at a time and have a choice of 1 or 3 week borrowing period - after that book just disappears from my tablet.
(although you can return it earlier if you have finished it)

2 Likes

Libby is the one widely used here in the states. Our library uses it, and the feedback is all positive. So easy for those who can’t get to a library, convenient and easy to us. Hardly anyone uses/buys a separate reader anymore. So many online sites give access to classics/new novels.

As for myself, I much prefer to handle hard copy books when enjoying my peaceful reading time…perhaps it’s because I worked in a library for over ten years. Home away from home…loved every single minute. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

So what actually happens to an e-book after returning it to a library? Is it still on your phone/reader but somehow rendered useless, and therefore best deleted, or does it really get emailed back?

The DRM means that it cannot be read even though the file is still there.

The DRM also means that the file can only be read on that one machine - it has to have the Adobe program for downloading which encodes it for that particular machine. In fact one of the reasons for removing the DRM is because if you download it onto your desktop the file cannot be transferred/read on your eReader

Cheers, so best deleted? I have no concept of file size and that kind of thing, is it likely to use up space on the drive?

Probably but you can get a program like eepubee and remove the stupid DRM. I do it everytime.

ebook files are pretty small, for example .epub is just a zipped HTML file.

@Bruce you get a tick for Solution so expect to receive a crackerjack pencil.

2 Likes

OK, I haven’t returned the book yet, I’ll see what happens when I do.

When I return a book either manually or it automatically gets returned at end of borrowing period, it just disappears from the reading part of the Libby app.

I can still see in history (called Timeline on Libby) a record of books I have borrowed - but cannot open them to read them.

1 Like

If the books you read are just text, the Kindles are excellent! If they rely on diagrams or pictures… you may want to consider an iPad (especially if you also need to click on links/look things up etc). If you want the best screen, consider an iPad Pro.

There are other pros n cons. Kindle battery lasts ages and are better in direct sunlight/outdoors. iPads can be used for more than just reading… etc.

I’m quite happy with my phone and a library book at the moment. But will come back to this thread if I change my mind.

1 Like

I read using an Ipad, but you can’t order any books using the app, they are only available if you have a kindle to start with.

1 Like

Fully agree, plus the kindle is lighter than most tablet computers - so easier to hold in a reading position. The battery life is a real benefit too.
I remember when me and the other half would be packing our car boot for a couple of weeks holiday. We would pack at least 15 books between the two of us. Now there is an entire library on one small device. Plus, as we both use kindle (paperwhite for me, app on i-pad for her) we can share each other’s books.
But I dislike Bezos and Amazon. I’m using their product under sufferance. How can a forty or fifty year old book cost £4? The long dead author’s family will get a few pence, the distribution cost is less than pennies. Why doesn’t a book like that have a price more like 50 pence? Rip off.

1 Like