Things we seldom see in homes anymore

I could be wrong but I am sure the Westinghouse brand is part of Fisher & Paykel, originally a New Zealand company, though I am not sure that’s true anymore. They had a factory just outside Dunedin, long gone now. One of hubby’s first jobs after he left school, powder coating…he made appliances white.

I thought Westinghouse was a US Company, didn’t they make fail safe braking systems for trains?

The place at Orange used to make a variety of white goods under a lot of different names (Electrolux, Email) but they closed down years ago. I think they started as a munitions factory during WW2

2 Likes

Ugh…well who am I thinking of then?

I know, incredibly difficult question for you to answer… :rofl:

I had to look it up - Westinghouse Electric also made Fridges and Stoves and was a US corporation taken over by Electrolux in the 1980s. Electrolux is Swedish but they do still make appliances in Adelaide. (which I didn’t know) but a lot is made in China.

1 Like

Ok. I’ll admit to being too lazy to google (what does that say about me?!)
I know Fisher and Paykel was brought out/sold out to someone…give me moment, it will come to me

Haer (spelling?) which is a Fisher & Paykel owned brand, more a budget option, made in China…
But don’t quote me as I am still too lazy to google lol

By the way, tried to reply to you in the ‘riding a duck’ thread but it seems to have disappeared…

The original early Marconiphone cabinet mounted TV with radio. My maternal grandparents had one of these and a little later a large magnifying lens was fitted onto the front. Once it became popular, one was also placed into the pub’s lounge bar.

3 Likes

That’s gorgeous! What a pity things aren’t made with the same level of aesthetic anymore

1 Like

The sound was also just as fantastic as it’s looks … nothing at all like today’s tinny sounds things.

3 Likes

So excuse my blonde headed vacancy, but would I be right in thinking these would have been valve?

2 Likes

I’d like one of those today :blush:

2 Likes

The whole internal system was ‘valve’ powered and the heat given off was phenomenal. The only really good part about that model of Marconiphone was the radio section was independent of the TV.

3 Likes

The old fashioned lino….

I remember in school holidays it was job to get down on my knees with a nice clean duster and a tin of lavender floor polish and rub like mad until you could see your reflection in the lino! :grinning:

2 Likes

Nothing old fashioned about linoleum Mags. It’s still manufactured and sold in England; my eldest has recently had two bathrooms floored with it where cut inlays of contrasting patterns look fantastic. Her supplier-installer is here Sinclair Till | Linoleum flooring london, luxury kitchen floors london, luxury bathroom flooring london

Such memories! I started my apprenticeship in the mid 50s and was a TV engineer right up until retirement. How big and heavy the TVs of those times were. Solid cabinets combined with a heavy chassis, huge transformers, massive loudspeakers, some were lethal. mains energised too. Plus the extra hazard of extremely high voltages involved. 7 thousand AC and around 25 thousand DC. Those were exciting days. :wink:

3 Likes

Wind up gramophones; free standing, table top, and portable.

Non-decorative oil/paraffin lamps, gas lamps, and candle holders.

Clockwork train sets.

Treadle sowing machines. I had one once but I suspect it’s been converted into a table in a trendy cafe by now.

Travel sewing machines.

A garage big enough that you can fit a modern car into it.

1 Like

Christmas paper trimmings.

11-VINTAGE-1950s-PAPER-HONEYCOMB-CHRISTMAS-DECORATIONS

1 Like

As it happens we have two wind up gramophones, both free standing. We still have the discs.

2 Likes

Min furniture cream

min