These beautiful creatures

Thank you for that beautiful, and informative post, Boot.
A compassionate and well written link.

You were so lucky to have spent time with these magnificent animals.

5 Likes

An excellent post, Boot.

1 Like

I can quite believe it is possible for them to cry, Mups. After all - humans with blocked tear ducts can still produce tears - so why not Elephants?

Thing is, Tabs, I had already said in post 12 that there seems to be different schools of thought from the experts on this.

Yes - I saw that - but - while science has never proved that Elephants do cry tears - equally they have never proved that they don’t !

1 Like

Some posts have been removed. Please get back on topic. Please also don’t ‘demand’ others make changes, especially in a thread like this - if you disagree with a statement someone has made simply put your opinion across (with links to a reputable source is possible) and then just leave it at that… people are usually more than able to make up their own minds about things :smiley:

4 Likes

That is normally true BUT if you shoot all the elephants with tusks then only tuskless elephants get to reproduce then the chances are that you will end up with a lot of tuskless elephants as that tuskless mutation gets to dominate.

It is the opposite reason why a cancer stays in a population merely because it usually occurs after the age of reproduction so it is a gene that gets passed on and survives.

As for elephants displaying emotion I suspect that is merely anthropomorphism, just as our brains are tuned to see and recognise faces they are also tuned to look for emotions in anything. My pet rock is always very happy.

I didn’t realise that there were ‘Tuskless Elephants’ Bruce, but I don’t think that shooting all the tusked Elephants to just leave al the tuskless ones could be classed as natural evolution.
More like extinction…

Neither did I, I take whoever said it at their word.

2 Likes