There was a last minute glitch close to knock off at work

It does not work like that. My company pays the overtime. I will suggest it to him tomorrow.

Finding skilled workers is nigh on impossible these days.
So many people apply for jobs through lying about their skillset and are left floundering, winging it.
Company bosses are not hard on them because they need the workers.
I had a truck come in today to collect some plates. I started loading and my side of the truck was flush so I asked him if it was okay, he was standing up on the truck, he gave me the thumbs up. When I went around to the other side of the truck the plate was overhanging by 200mm, 8".
It said to him "What do you mean this is okay. The load is supposed to be even on both sides@
He actually said, “Why”?
“Because that is the law. You have a truck licence, you are suppose to know this”
The guy had no idea and yet he is employed as a truck driver in charge of at times 20 ton loads.
The mind boggles.

We have let the company know that if it arrives like that again we will send it back. We will not spend 2 hours unloading it.
Watch this space. :grinning:

1 Like

I have never had a job where ‘off time’ and finishing was a factor and many jobs have been ‘living in posts’ . I lived to work rather than worked to live.

At my first job in a Terrier Kennel the hours were from 6am till 10pm with half a day off a week and a whole day once a month for £1 a week and my ‘board’ . In reality I was never off duty while on the premises .

My last position before retirement was in a girls boarding school, I had contracted hours but always went in early and stayed late. ‘My girls’ came first and were looked after to the best of my ability .

2 Likes

You were dedicated to all the positions you filled. That is a fantastic trait. Many people would have been very grateful for your enthusiasm. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Incorrect! There are plenty around, but the tight employers wont pay the going rate.
My eldest son-in-law owns an HGV vehicle maintenance and goods haulage company and he is always fully staffed because he aways pays over the going rate for his DEL.

3 Likes