The UK still leads the world

So you won’t do what you advise others to do then ? How about spending less time on the internet and more time doing what you get paid for - that would help productivity in the company you work for.

Brilliant Zaphod, keep crying “woe is me” and wringing your hands then :lol:

I said:

Now please take your arguments elsewhere instead of purposely taking this thread off-topic.

You brought it up in your post 10.

Quote …

Productivity in the UK has been in decline for many years and it will take readjustment as I say in earlier posts for that to improve noticably.
Crying “woe is me ” and the wringing of hands isn’t exactly helpful and certainly won’t improve productivity and so our quality of life, but actions will.
And if the actions taken now don’t work, then it will be time to try something else until our standard of living rises again.

I simply asked what would you do and you can’t answer. Don’t post stuff if you don’t like being asked about it in future and then pretend people are being off topic, just because you don’t know what the hell your talking about.

• Hi all, can we keep the thread on-topic please - it’s really not fair on the OP or those taking part in the original discussion. You can always tap on the timestamp at the top right of a post and click on +New Thread to create a linked thread. Thanks!
1 Like

Disagreeing with you is not going off topic neither is commenting on your own subject matter. If you want threads to have a narrow corridor of discussion then go ahead, just don’t get upset when nobody replies.

Oh dear.
I see that comprehension is still not a strong point of yours.
Yet again, my posts that you are so aggravated about are referring to an earlier post which very clearly says:

Just to reinforce that I say it again here:

Now you can if you wish carry on making yourself look daft by deliberately misinterpreting what has actually been said; by deliberately taking the thread off-topic; by falsely imagining that any one normal person can influence a country’s productivity; by thinking that everybody who is a member in this over-50’s forum works rather than as is more likely is retired; and not least by looking as if you just want a heated disagreement rather than a sensible debate.
That choice is yours.

But please, please start a thread of your own to do it in if you want to carry on rather than taking this one off-topic.
Four times now I have asked you.
Have some respect for the forum if not for me.

Hi

Really?

We are not a Global Leader.

Let us see who comes for the Global Climate Change Meeting here in the UK.

Our Stupid Government has annoyed both Russia and China.

Ordinary people will suffer the effects.

Ordinary people are already suffering the effects of climate change, in countries around the world too.
Unless we can all come together and agree upon a plan of action soon as we’re trying to promote with COP26, it is likely that global suffering as a result of climate change will increase.
If we as a planet are not already too late, that is.

COP26 is us leading the world in trying to achieve change.
The trouble is that some countries don’t want to change and that has nothing to do with them being upset.

Still no answers, just swerving. If you think that the government is responsible for lorry drivers etc and tradesmen then your quite frankly off your head.

The private sector needs less involvement from the government not more. When you over regulate (like what the EU has been doing to us) then people take less risk of going it alone, becoming entrepreneurs and becoming self employed businesses. By introducing IR35, Johnson has thrown a huge curve-ball at the self employed - IT consultants, Doctors and lorry drivers are just a few industries impacted and then with his increased taxation on corporation tax (going up to a whopping 25%) getting that wrong will see the brain drain we saw in the 70’s.

We are seeing huge amounts of foreign investment at the moment, because businesses like an independent country full of talent close to a big European market and with close ties to Japan and the USA, however, Johnson is running the risk of well and truly screwing things up with his green agenda and high taxation. Brexit is a wonderful opportunity, but Johnson has made a complete pigs ear of it.

So at the moment, the UK leading the world (according to the IMF) is one thing, continuing to do so is another matter and everything I’ve seen from Johnson is threatening every competitive advantage we have. If it were me, I would bin IR35, reduce corporation tax to 16% and VAT down to 16% as well. Personal allowances would stay as they are. That dividend for businesses would massively boost foreign investment providing more in tax revenues as it did in 2015 (ish) when the corporation tax rate went down to 19%.

Johnson said he wouldn’t raise taxes remember ? Now with his IR35 introduction across the board, corporation tax increases and NI increases quite frankly he can’t be trusted, businesses need stability and confidence in a government, not lies and u-turns. I’m not fooled by the covid debt either, we don’t need to pay back the Covid debt now, in fact with interest rates so low we don’t need to pay it back at all, just stop fear mongering about shortages of food and fuel which pushes up prices and leads to inflation. Bin HS2 and start there then get rid of waste in the NHS, that would reduce the bill for the UK year in and year out.

Anyway, that’s what I would do to increase tax revenues and standards of living. Increasing productivity would be helped if people left their mobile phones in the car instead of schiving from work like nurses do round the nursing station for hours on end posting stuff pn instagram and Facebook.

Increasing productivity at work is also the responsibility of the employee - like not going on the internet all the time and posting on social media. Personal discipline would help with that, and incentivising employees with productivity bonuses. That would also help the national need (as you put it) allowing high performing businesses to out-compete others and empowering employees to go the extra mile from engaging in new techniques to (for example) reduce timescales and overheads in projects, such as Agile and Scrum techniques, or taking time to write an idea on a post-it note and put it in the suggestion box.

This is what makes the UK a world leader, not pointing the finger at the government and waiting for it all to happen, then taking the credit for everyone else’s hard work. You might want to pull your finger out yourself and stop going on the internet so much instead of doing your job, how about that for increasing productivity. You might get a raise and a promotion and be part of keeping Britain at the top of productivity (according to the IMF of course).

Since when has Boris been in charge of the Treasury? I thought Rishi was the Chancellor of the Exchequer not Boris so, he’s the one playing around with taxation not Boris.

1 Like

Oh come on Percy, look what happened when Sajid Saved wouldn’t do what Boris told him to do when he was Chancellor …

Rishi was appointed by Johnson and is part of his government under the same manifesto.

Nice.
:icon_rolleyes:
Just one problem there, which is that I did not say that.
In fact elsewhere in the forum as I’m sure you know I say the opposite, but in case you didn’t see it:

You might want to read what you write. I’ve even quoted your own posts and you still deflect and swerve all the time

You are funny though.

Once the UK is no longer relevant, the game is up anyway. :grinning: :biking_man:

Instead of deflecting and swerving yourself you’d be netter of reading what I write so that you make honest comments rather than misinterpreting what I’ve said,which makes so many of your posts look like the deflecting and swerving you accuse me of.

Great, ta.
:+1:
I wish that could say the same for you.
But I can’t because deliberately taking a thread off-topic and posting purely to provoke a negative reaction isn’t funny but hey, if that’s really how you want visitors to see you I’m not going to stop you.
:rofl:

You might want to carry on bickering.
Go ahead, but you got your way and I’m out.

Now here’s an on-topic post, unlike yours have been.

1 Like

From what I’ve read of the Chancellor of the Treasury, he reports to the Prime Minister,:+1:

Not that I know anything about politics, just looked it up,:wink:

That is because the PM is The First Lord of The Treasury.

Yes, but Simon Clark reports to the prime minister, that’s what I’ve just read…which stands to reason I would have thought .I was answering Percy…only quoting what I’ve read, I know nothing about politics.

Don’t bring up topics such as productivity and then accuse others of being off topic when they reply to them.

I can’t make you understand this can I

You might want to be original and share one of your own opinions too instead of plagiarising other people’s.

If you think productivity and being a world leader are not related don’t make the connection in the first place or better still get a hob and make a contribution yourself.

When you can stop isolating words and phrases that you think you can use just to be disagreeable rather than taking what has been said in context you might have a point, but for now you’re only making it look even more like you’re trying to be disagreeable.

Why can’t you understand that?
Is it because you just do not want to?
:man_shrugging:

I know why.
Since you persist, here it is for others to see too.

Your response?

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/what-can-the-uk-do-about-illegal-immigration/80558/228
There you go.
For any readers unaware, Bread says he has me on “ignore” - as is obvious from this thread.
Not.
Proof then that you’re not interested in honest discussion and compromise but instead you just want disagreement and bickering, and to get threads I start on subjects you don’t like shut down as a result.

BTW I have a hob thanks very much, and you have a sum total of zero idea regarding how I contribute to anything relating to the economy of this country.
Go find somebody to vent your spleen upon where you do know such things.

1 Like