The Super Stove - too good to be true?

I don’t fully understand how it works Azz, but from the clip, if it’s as good as as it sounds, it’s worth a closer look. Of course, I would need to understand how it’s possible, how much it costs, and how often would you need to replace the electronics, and would the gubbins be easy to source if they go wrong.

1 Like

I think they’re aiming to be as simple as you hope they are OGF - be nice wouldn’t it? Could just install one of them on each floor or each room and no need to worry about electric bills again :lol:

1 Like

Not as weather dependent as solar panels Azz, and don’t need to rely on lithium batteries either, which I can see are going to be a problem in the future…
I wonder if the output would be sufficient to power larger items like irons, washers and kettles.
:+1:

1 Like

Not as good as it is implied, I’d say.
I know blowing one’s own trumpet has its place but, for starters, the name of the product is misleading since it’s no “Super Stove” that contributes to fighting climate change as is suggested in the video. This reference should have been left out completely. Instead, it should be correctly called “Emergency Stove” for that’s what it essentially is and as such it may fill a gap. And that’s something. It can be helpful in those situations described.

Any reference to helping tackle climate change, however, is superfluous for the stove emits carbon dioxide. Unfortunately, he decided not to go into detail about the refined filter technology which would’ve underlined his claim that the device was environmentally friendly. Maybe he knew why.

3 Likes

I fully support Dachs commentd & unfortunately this advert is very deceptive & the idea is nothing new. Having followed ( & built a related type ) I can confidently say that there are numerous good reasons not to go this path.
Also more and more Govts worldwide are BANNING similar devices.
There is plenty of information readily availsble to support their actions.

2 Likes

Got to agree with the sceptics on this product. The points about smoke emissions are right - although these can be greatly reduced with some pellets and kiln dried wood. But then the costs go up. I doubt it would generate that much electricity - enough for LED lighting but probably not much more. And these are not the costly kit to run in a house.
I’d also question the small size. The KW rating of this stove must be quite low. I’ve a 12 KW rated stove that warms two fairly large rooms very well. It fails to warm the rest of the house. I buy about £750 of fire wood a winter and this keeps my electricity costs down. But I’m happy with a cold bedroom - many would not be. This “super stove” looks a bit more like 3-4 KW and would struggle to get the room temperature up on a cold day (unless the room is very, very well insulated). Worse, for the same amount of wood, this little stove would be more expensive. Small cut wood is more costly than the 50cm lumps that I buy - and they burn more quickly.
And lets not get into the installation costs - drilling a hole in the wall for ventilation, chimney liner or new flue, suitable non-flammable base, etc.
Its seems right that the video shows it installed in small cabins out in the country.

3 Likes

I suppose this stove could be used to heat and provide power for a cabin or well insulated cottage in the country with a ready supply of wood to hand. Some trees might be coppiced to supply year round logs. If there was a kitchen garden the wood ash could be raked into the soil to improve the fertility. So it’s using modern tech to help with centuries old ways of living.

1 Like

Wood burning stoves give off a lot of dust every time the door is opened!
This is very bad for your health breathing in the dust .
Until recently I had two wood burners , do I miss the extra cleaning or getting the wood in on freezing days :lol:

3 Likes

Heat maybe - power NO ! totally inadequate. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I doubt whether it would boil a kettle let alone run a washing machine or vacuum cleaner.

3 Likes

Hi This is Howard, may I join your chat please.

1 Like

Hi Howard - welcome to the forum!

Could you tell us more about the SuperStove? Will it be affordable? Can you install more than one?

Hello Azz

Yes, the film had almost three quarters of a million views in 4 weeks and I have been replying to hundreds of emails from all over the world. Two days ago I had an email from Cook Islands. They are putting a new runway on one island. They are looking for 70 Super Stoves one for each house on the island so everyone gets free electricity from hundreds of coconut trees to be felled.

My wife found your forum and said it would be good for me to join as the strain has become very difficult at the moment.

1 Like

Ah that’s awesome Howard - I hope it is a success as we are getting ripped off left right and centre by these oil and energy firms!

Would it be possible to install more than one in a house? What about a larger one that is more like a range cooker for the kitchen and then smaller ones for the rest of the house?

I saw one the other day that had an oven as well as a hot-plate and it made me think of the Super Stove!

Yes it’s possible. :+1: I have built several large stoves up to one ton in weight. I also made the first ever touch screen wood burning cooker with fan assisted oven and a hob that turned on and off electrically. Once I cracked the know how I have built lots of stoves. The only problem getting the certificated. 10k per test.

1 Like

We had a stove that a double heated oven. It was rather ancient and very hot.

1 Like

Hi, the stove tops can heat to around 450c and a firebox can top 500c. I have read some quite negative comments about the stove but put that down to not enough being known about this type of technology. In the very recent years thermal electrics have come a long way and now more powerful TEG’s (thermal electric generators) have been produced to meet a new demand for this type of power generation.

Industrial TEG’s not readily available on the market are being tested in aircraft and by car manufacturers in exhaust systems to add extra electricity to hybrid motors. In the US airport washrooms TEG’s are now widely used to re charge magic eye batteries under water taps, by placing a TEG between the hot and cold water pipes. This technology works by heat on one side of a TEG and cold on the other side.

Apologies I’m rambling. :thinking:

2 Likes

Interesting more than rambling.
I did a quick and inexpert search on TEG’s and found a few articles and papers. My impression is this is an evolving technology, a quickly growing market and one with ever increasing applications. However, I could not find any example of electricity generation of over 1KW. There was one cited at 1KW and that was in a car’s exhaust system. Most of the other TEG’s seem to generate tens, and in a few cases, hundreds of watts. Excellent for lots of uses (sensors, low wattage lighting, comms devices, etc.) but no more than that. What is the wattage output from the super stove - assuming one running at a good, hot burn?

2 Likes

Ramble all that you want Howard, I just love this stuff and my hobby is building small electronic projects…And welcome to the forum by the way.
:+1:

1 Like

Hmm, interesting in light of the huge number of scammers preying on the Cook Islands currently and their Government’s warnings. Plenty of evidence out there if anyone has the slightest doubt.