The Pages of Punch

1998: Is he really that absurd?

Is this for real? Takeover bids do not seem at all likely. Moreover, Miss Wilson does not seem able to fend them off if they occur. On the other hand, he may just be speaking ironically. I prefer the second possibility but perhaps the cartoonist sees him as a Walter Mitty type.

Definitely ironic :slight_smile:

1986: A waiter who knows his job

The customer is always right. She has spotted that this waiter is prepared to pander to this diner’s fantasy that he speaks fluent French.

1986: A delusional hold up

This looks like a joke among professionals. To us it appears that the man presents no threat at all. The joke is probably to do with the relationship between appearance and reality.

1980: Holding the baby

Wrenched from her office job the recent mother makes do with the canary to ‘discuss’ her problem.

Funny how the Canary seems so interested :slight_smile:

1988: Black Magic

I don’t think Voodo is meant to work in this way. The cook has no bad intentions to the hen outside her kitchen.

1991: Not user friendly

A bouncy castle as designed by Vlad the Impaler.

Perhaps they should have one of those at a naughty children’s theme park? :lol:

1988: Is this what we think it is?

Possibly this is a reference to menstruation. ‘Time of the month’ does rather suggest this. But consider the date: 1988. Would Punch even in its later days have wanted to mention this subject, albeit indirectly? It could just have meant that she periodically turned into werewolf. The full moon seen through the window does rather support the werewolf theory.

Think I’d stick with the werewolf theory. :slight_smile:

1988: Plants have feelings too…

Just imagine that a plant can tell the gardener to lay off the insecticide.

They’re right, of course.

1986: Ignoring climate change

The dinosaurs are facing extinction with the coming of an ice age and are just playing in the snow. I am now wondering if awareness of our present danger was already understood forty years ago? Is it just chance that this joke appeared then?

Hope all’s well with you Mr. M?

I hope so too.
No contact for a couple of days.

I was AWOL.

No computers available. It was a medical problem. Now getting back into the picture. Thanks for the concern.

Welcome back Mr M. Good to see you.

Merry Christmas to you Mr Magoo …and a happy and healthy New Year :slight_smile:

Getting my health together. Frankly, old cartoons in Punch don’t seem as important as my health.