The Orville - a sci-fi series like Star Trek

Continuing the discussion from What work of fiction was the best at predicting the future?:

Based on this, I watched the first episode of The Orville on Disney+. It’s also on Hulu here.

I love it! :smiley:

The background is beautiful. The situations are hilarious. :joy:. The sci-fi stuff is innovative. The characters are fun, irreverent, but still believable. The plot looks like it could be interesting. The ex-wife twist adds some drama.

I had just watched the first episode of Star-Trek: Enterprise. Every scene reminded of a scene in the other Star Trek series. The Orville was different enough to be refreshing.

I’ll be watching more of this in the future. Thanks for the recommendation.

3 Likes

I used to watch the Orville on sky, but then it switched to another provider which we don’t have, but yes it was brilliant, I’m really into resident alien on sky, just waiting for season three to start…

1 Like

That’s also on my list. Found it tonight while searching for The Orville. It’s on Peacock (NBC) here.

1 Like

Make sure you watch from the beginning, I can also recommend the remake of lost in space, if you can find it somewhere. ( not the film remake)

2 Likes

The 2018 version is on Netflix. I’ve been debating about getting Netflix all week. Long story, but this is pushing me closer. Thanks for the recommendation. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Got Netflix and just watched the preview of Lost in Space. I’m liking it so far. It reminds me of Terra Nova, a good series that got cancelled just as it got going. Thanks for the recommendation.

I’ve watched a couple more episodes of The Orville. I’m really enjoying it. It’s like Star Trek with a sense of humor. Still has the rescue mission vibe but with an attitude.

2 Likes

If the Orville was called ‘Star Trek-The Orville’ no one would have argued!
There are ways of watching it if you don’t have the channel…better not put it
here though!

1 Like

I’ve got something to watch tonight after the rugby!

3 Likes

Ooo I love The Orville! Highly recommended :023:

:joy: Azz, I started this thread based on your recommendation in another thread. Your recommendation in another thread is how I started watching it. Thank you for that, btw :smiling_face:. Excellent suggestion that has led me to other fun shows and discussions with others.

1 Like

Based on this thread, I started watching Orville on Disney+ after the rugby last night. I managed 4 episodes before I dosed off only to be awoken by my son arriving home in the wee hours of this morning!

Orville has got that Star Trek vibe with a humorous twist. I Love it!

3 Likes

Me too! I have a question that I’m going to spoiler for people who haven’t watched it yet. I don’t know the answer yet either from what I’ve seen.

Question

@minx, do you think the captain and his wife will get back together by the end of the series?

1 Like

^^Glad you’re enjoying it guys!

I honestly thought it was an official Star Trek series until I read it wasn’t :lol:

1 Like

I have watched all three series…if you really want to know…

spolier...

…no!

1 Like

I’m onto season 2 episode 7!

I’m hooked! So glad there’s a season 3!

My evening is sorted with more binge watching!

No spoilers - aye!

2 Likes

The thing about The Orville is that, because it’s a Seth MacFarlane show, everyone, including me, thought it would be all laughs all the time (with a lot of crudity), a sort of irreverent parody of Trek. But it is of course totally different to Family Guy or American Dad. In fact, I would say it’s the best non-Trek Trek I’ve seen, if that makes sense. They’ve really thought it through. It’s not just some family or frat boys on a starship making fart jokes, in fact, it can be watched quite seriously. I love the way it’s developing and I was quite amazed at how good it was. Very highly recommended. The humour is parcelled out just right; comes in at the right times but does not overload the show and definitely does NOT make it a “funny Star Trek”.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for spilling the beans…not!

3 Likes

I wish I could Fly. :icon_wink:

I wish I could touch the sky :023:

But I can’t, you can, I can’t :icon_wink:

1 Like