The Midwich Cuckoos

I watched the original “Village of the Damned” last night.

Barbara Shelley was impossibly elegant throughout … :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA

The film was originally intended as an American picture, to be filmed at the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studios in Culver City. Stirling Silliphant wrote a script and Ronald Colman was contracted for the leading role, but MGM delayed the project, bowing to pressure from religious groups, including the Catholic Legion of Decency, who objected to the depiction of virgin birth and the plot’s blasphemous implications. The film was transferred to the MGM-British Studios.

The glowing-eye effect, when the children used their mental powers, was achieved by creating animated overlays of a bright white iris; this created a bright glowing iris with a black pupil when optically printed into the film. For the original release of the film in Britain, censors removed the glowing eye effects.

Interesting … :thinking:

1 Like

Absolutely. She made a good fist of DI Alex Drake aka “Bolly Knickers” in “Ashes To Ashes” too.

I remember reading Midwich Cuckoos and the other titles by John Wyndham as a teenager. Right scary stuff they were. I haven’t bothered to watch this series because it is too woke by far.

2 Likes