The Long Call TV series

Anyone watching this new TV series I’ve read the book so that’s a bit of a spoiler

But I thought it made a good start

Only watching (or recording to watch the next day) for Martin Shaw. Otherwise I doubt I’d have bothered.

1 Like

Yes, he’s already good in it, I think I’ll persist with it

I’m watching it - it took a while to get going but I’m hooked now! The scenery is beautiful too - I wonder whether it was actually filmed in Devon and if so whereabouts …

1 Like

@MargaretF …perhaps this link will help Margaret

2 Likes

Thanks for that @wishbone it looks lovely!

1 Like

Mum and I stayed in Ilfracombe one Christmas, but I don’t remember any of what I am seeing on this show. Mind, it was some years ago. After 2005 (when Dad died), so maybe a year or two after…

1 Like

I didn’t recognise the cult leader’s wife being, Anita Dobson.

1 Like

Yes it did get off to a good start.

Neither did I. The cult, by the way, is the Plymouth Brethren I think.

1 Like

Percy, l am not sure about that? They are described as the ‘Barum’ Brethren in the first episode.
There is also The Brethren as well as The Plymouth Brethren and l suppose they are similar but not the same.

Oh, I’ll have to catch Mrs May on the repeats when it’s re run. I like her and think she is one heck of an actress :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

No, it took me ages, kept thinking “what have I seen her in”

1 Like

Thank you for that, pretty place. I like seeing places I know on tv series, or discovering new ones, you get a bit of a different view

My son’s flat in London often ends up as a backdrop and bits of Bristol I recognise

They filmed a lot of another TV series near here, The Outlaws. The first episode of that was on this week so I’ve recorded but haven’t had chance to watch it yet

1 Like

Thanks Artangel. I’ve never heard of the Barum Brethren before.

I think I watched about the first 10 mins or so, then dissed it.

1 Like

:joy: Not for everybody, but if you’ve got a minute, maybe give it another go. It gets quite good!

1 Like

Nah, I couldn’t watch something half way through Maree.
It’s funny the little I saw really irritated me. Then last night when it had over-run the 10pm news, I saw the last 2/3mins of it and felt irritated all over again :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well, over all, I think that’s 4hrs of my life I won’t be getting back. I found the whole series rather underwhelming after such a good start.