The last of the old class structure

Hi

Barry has a point.

India has it’s caste system, Russia it’s oligarchs etc etc

2 Likes

It’s not the inequality l mind so much , It’s the snobbery ?? :-1::worried::-1:

What lesson or two? All they’re doing is precisely what has happened throughout history, but they don’t call their leaders kings or queens, and there doesn’t (always) appear to be a familial hereditary system to pass power down.

I was born at the end of the 50s, grew up in the 60s and 70s when all this started to get rejected

But I did hear bits of it from my country granny

She was in service when she was young, a real Mrs Bridges style housekeeper, and she did have a lot of deference for her “betters”, king and country and knowing your place, Sunday school, church etc

And my grandad, ……… didn’t! :rofl:

I’d hear tales of her being mortified when he wouldn’t touch his cap to gentry etc

But the big one was when a member of the gentry was doling out coal to the poorest. They qualified but when he went to collect it you were supposed to kiss the lady bountiful’s hand…literally!

He got told off when he wouldn’t, so he told her to stick it up her arse, went up the woods and got some wood and shot a rabbit

Granny never recovered! :rofl:

2 Likes

Snobs are pitiful slaves to their social superiors, humour them.

1 Like

I’m not sure that we can say that, Azz.

Are those born in some down at heel foreign dictatorship, where there is little food and small chance of getting education & work, equal to those born into an affluent family home, with private Medicine, money in the bank, and servants to take care of cleaning your nappies?

Even at birth, the risks of catching. or inheriting, some horrible disease is right there & higher for some, than for others.!

To me, what is very important is all about your health, right from the start, and then having the intelligence & training to build the “Nous” which gets you where you want to be…

Edited to add that much of the intelligence is, already, passed on to us via our parents, some of it before we are even born!

No, we are not all born equal!

IMO

3 Likes

@d00d , Give me time to work that one out dOOdy ? :-1::+1:

It’s the Hyacinth Buckets factor!

The worst snobs are always the ones trying to raise their social status, like working class trying to be middle class :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

To prove that they’re “in” they have to declare the riff-raff out, and ultra respectful of their social superiors, to maintain the class structure

Those confident of their social status don’t need to be snobs or exclude anyone to establish their position

2 Likes

I recall learning some basic “skills” in primary school which were probably straight from Debretts. Proper way to use a spoon, which side of the pavement to walk on when accompanying a lady, how to bow, how to dip ones hat when crossing the road at a zebra… That sort of thing.

The class system will always be present, whatever else may change. Take me as you find me, what you see is what you get.

1 Like

@Maree , Sadly, l think what you say, is true Maree ?
Social climbers can be the worst snobs!
But for me, a snob is a snob! Is a snob!
I am undoubtedly an inverted snob !
I look down on snobs! Rich or otherwise ? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

10 point penalty, DM, for using the word “snob” 6 times in one posting.

1 Like

@Tedc , Ooooer! Wot does that mean ! I can’t go any lower than l am
already !! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

The Frankie Howard expression oooooer Is dreadfully common not to mention dated .

2 Likes

There are a few in most families, we had two who were a nightmare.

@Muddy , Snob !!

1 Like

You shouldn’t mock the afflicted. Ooh, no missus. Not on your nelly.

Wise words Ted. Our personalities start from the early teaching of our parents and from those spreads our desire to work hard & do well. Every child will need food & a home & the only people that can provide that are the people they live with. They also need discipline to teach them that, as they grow, they need to look after themselves and achieve independence. I am glad to say that is exactly how I was brought up & it served me well!

2 Likes

Children need love and emotional support from their parents too .
Setting a good example is also important children learn from what they see.

1 Like

I agree Muddy, all children need love, but they also need guidance to ensure they have financially secure lives. Too many are not taught this so end up in poor circumstances

1 Like