The last of the old class structure

The class system is still a live & well indeed along with the old boy network.
The them and us were on display last Monday .

Where I’m living I’m not allowed to hang washing out …it brings the neighbourhood down don’t you know , or to have a sign written vehicle… we do not want any tradesperson living here thank you .

Pretentious class snobbery

2 Likes

I think human nature builds into us the need to be superior at something.

It can be the best Degree, the best House, the best car, the best clothes, etc. etc.

We just need to get used to it.

You can’t win them all!

1 Like

What would they do to you if you did?

I’d have to push that if I lived there, just couldn’t help myself :crazy_face:

I’d be the one throwing my washing in the bushes in the front garden and this van from Kill Bill!

And if they had a pop I’d ask if the were dissing our Irish heritage :rofl:

2 Likes

But we still have first class carriages on trains so that makes the rest second class surely?

1 Like

Or cattle class, the state of our trains at the moment! :scream:

1 Like

Debatable in my opinion.
*"For example :slight_smile: Stephen William Hawking CH CBE FRS FRSA (8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018) was an English theoretical physicist, cosmologist, and author who, at the *time of his death, was director of research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology at the University of Cambridge."

But that is what I like here - debate without acrimony.

Even in the back garden ?

Nothing wrong with a few social graces !
Indeed I think these should be taught at school today .
Social graces are the oil which makes society run more easily .
So many people just don’t know how to behave because they haven’t been taught .
Probaby because their parents weren’t taught either .
A gentleman is a gentleman whatever his station in life if he behaves like one .

1 Like

We have First and Second class on our intercity trains but very few use them except pensioners and they all travel First Class.

My mum was a stickler for table manners…I’ve said it before here…as kids we had holes on our shoes and perfect table manners :slight_smile:

No not even in the back garden .
Although strictly illegal I have been known to drape bedsheets over a sunlounger …:wink:

How do you dry your washing?

I had no idea, I only travel on the London Underground.

Do you still have those Orient Express style cabins?

It’s worked out well so far , it’s been my first summer in the property.

I’d open the south facing french doors put the clothes airier in front of the open doors , the washing dried very quickly.

I’ve a washer dryer with a 1600 spin speed … this winter I shall tumble dry .

2 Likes

Who set these rules? Was it the leaseholder or are you a tenant? Is it part of a contract or agreement or something?

I own the property.
Yes its leasehold and one of a gated group of homes .
I guess it was the leaseholder and management committee that are responsible.

This is not uncommon there are lots of rules put in developments .
Not just in the U.K. .
Eg the washing rule is quite prevalent in any countries usually for the front of the property .
My neighbour the builder has four of his vehicles on the frontage of the property ( which has a commercial vehicle ban but he ignores ) it has totally ruined the look of a small residential area and caused annoyance to all the neighbours who now have to look out on them he also parks them on the road in front of other peoples houses . It s not illegal but it’s not exactly neighbourly .

3 Likes

It’s usually in the deeds. For example on my block I am not allowed to smelt iron or make coke because about a century ago there was a steelworks near by.

In land sales near me houses are not allowed to have iron roofs but must be tile in other sub divisions this is not the case.

I must admit I have never heard of restrictions on things like washing lines though

It’s more common in flats where people have balconies .
They can use clothes airers though .
Some places of historical interest don’t / didn’t allow satellites on houses .

1 Like

Yep. Neither of the flats I own are allowed to have aerials, not indeed anything else that affects the elevation view. One of the flat owners put a sky dish up and had to pay a significant sum to the leaseholder in recompense.